Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 09 and when it's just me, I run the HD CVO Solo Seat...LOVE that seat! When I ride 2 up or take long-multi day trips, I have used the HD Sundowner for the past several years and it works ok. Since I put my new, higher bars on this winter, I am feeling way to close to the tank when riding (I always did with the Sundowner, but it was not too bad). I have been considering getting a HD Tallboy or a Lepera Daddy Long Legs for 2 up and trips when my tourpack is on. I had the opportunity to try the Tallboy seat this past Friday from the Demo Seats on a day trip to NY with my wife. I will say that the Tallboy is very similar to the Sundowner, except I gain 2" and she looses 2", so for me it was good and because the Mrs is small, she had no complaints at all. This seat did exactly what I wanted it to do, move me back 2". Now I have been looking at the Daddy Long Legs seat too, problem is, I can not find one to "try" without purchase, and I honestly question if the Mrs would really like that one compared to the Tallboy for her. The Tall boy is over $100 cheaper, not that cheap matters for a seat, just saying. I am pretty sure I am going to just order that Tallboy and call it a day, as I would really only run the seat 4-5 times a year, as stated, my solo without tourpack is mostly how I ride.
Nothing more than a quick rant about seats here. Not looking for comments, unless you want to provide something, but I figured others may read this before deciding on what to do also. FYI, I am 6'2" and 225lbs with a 36" inseam and monkey arms (per the Mrs).

·
Registered
573 Posts
I very skeptically put a Tallboy on my 2016 at the advice of my cousin. I will have to say it was probably the best seat I have ever had for both myself and the life. Buy used, look on here, hdforums, Craigslist and eBay. Save yourself some money. I think I paid $125-150 shipped for mine, cant remember for sure. Currently bikeless due to other life events but once I get a new bike a tallboy will be the first thing I add.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Jeff, if you want to save money, go the easy route. Take the fuel tank off the bike. Problem solved, you won't be too close to it! The other option is to just cut 2" off of each leg and not molest the bike. If you want help with the latter, I have a chainsaw.>:)

You really weren't expecting helpful advice from me, were you?

Reactions: mebugnb and Freaky

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Jeff I had the Daddy Long Legs first and now have the Tallboy for two up which ain’t that often for me either but the passenger pad is smaller on the DLL then on the Tallboy & is why I switched. My brother has the DLL now and has put many miles on it. The Daddy Long Legs is a much better quality seat, will sit you further back & is probably a little more comfortable for the rider then the Harley Tallboy but if it’s only a few times a year then you’re probably better off with the Tallboy plus your better half will be more comfortable with the larger pad

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff I had the Daddy Long Legs first and now have the Tallboy for two up which ain’t that often for me either but the passenger pad is smaller on the DLL then on the Tallboy & is why I switched. My brother has the DLL now and has put many miles on it. The Daddy Long Legs is a much better quality seat, will sit you further back & is probably a little more comfortable for the rider then the Harley Tallboy but if it’s only a few times a year then you’re probably better off with the Tallboy plus your better half will be more comfortable with the larger pad
This is exactly what I am thinking...both will work good for me. The DLL might be a bit better for me, but I am afraid she wont like it as much.

As for Tim's comment...Not even sure I know what to say to that....:surprise:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have a Maverick DLL with backrest and it is the best seat I've tried. I absolutely love it! The wife and I have yet to go on any extended, multi-day trips with it yet, but the passenger pillion is not that large. The other thing is that we've found that when we're 2-up, I have to remove the backrest so it's not digging into her thighs. It works out OK because she is close enough to me to act as my backrest.

Our old touring seat we used was (I believe) an Ultra Sundowner. It is VERY padded and has a fantastic passenger pillion area, but pushes me way far forward and sits me a lot higher.

·
Registered
121 Posts
2X on what macabra11 said, it's two back and one down also, quality seat, We don't ride two up anymore, but the bossette lost some room back there, obviously, and she did comment on it, but I don't think she would dig a 400 mile day on it either.
If, If you can wait a little, you can buy one from Dennis kirk, and try it out for a few miles just keep all the stuff to return it, tell them exactly what you're doing, they are good about that.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think I am going to see if I can find myself a Tallboy Seat on eBay over the next couple weeks/months.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've had a Mustang seat on 2 bikes now. As with the others, it sets you back about 2". The reason behind my decision is it is the widest available with that feature from all of the manufacturers. I guess it depends on how wide your ass is. I also went with the heated option this time.

Reactions: Freaky

·
Registered
362 Posts
WE (the wife and I) finally settled on a Corbin 2up Touring Seat. For me that settled all the issues for comfort and compatibility. We started with the Hammock seat that comes on the CVO. She didn't like it. Tried an Ultimate. (worse seat we ever sat on) 3 Mustangs, and a road Zepplin. Finally tried a Corbin. Success at last. Typically we are not bar hoppers. We will do so once in awhile but typically tour and usually spend 6-10 hrs attached to the seat. In summer heat I have to stop and cool off a fer minutes and will top off the tank if possible. I'm 71 and the wife is 76 so in 100*+ heat we can no longer last through a tank of gas. If you buy the Corbin during Biketober Fest or Bike Week the Ormond Beach store offers a 10% discount and will ship your seat home free of charge. I also added a set of 16" apes as well.The seat sits me down and back which makes long rides much more tolerable. Bought the heated Corbin first. A fer mos later SHE discovers the Fire and Ice Dual tour. That is now my current seat. Any how that is my seat story on a '15 CVO. I hope to God this info is somewhat helpful to someone.:) financially I'm ruined but everyone's ass feels good. :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see you already ordered a seat, but for what it's worth, I had a Le Pera Maverick DLL on my Cross Bones and both the Mrs. and I loved that seat. Bought the RG with the stock seat and it was nothing close to the DLL. Bought the DLL for the RG and I'm not impressed. Rode 1300 miles Labor Day weekend and had to stop every 80 or 100 miles to stretch the back side. I'm disappointed that the same seat by the same company is so much different. My local stealer will let you buy a seat, try it for 30 days and if you don't like it, you can return it. You may ask your stealer if they offer that as well.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses and yeah, I ordered the HD Tallboy for when I ride 2 up or go on multi day trips with TP on. We used one of the HD demo seats and made a 400 mile day out of it and it will work for what we want out of it for as much as it will really get used (couple times a year).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great comments 6’1 and stock seat on my Road Glide Ultra has me to close to tank I’m strongly considering Tallboy seat Your input helped a lot Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts