Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st bike I see this season on the road is what else than a RoadGlide!

Met Gary today at Motointer Montreal also found out he's a member here :) Goes by the Forum name: 2012RoadglideGary (new member)
The owner (Charles Gref) was nice enough to snap this picture of us today and send me a copy.
Great Dealer and I highly recommend them to anyone passing through the Montreal area for both HD or BMW needs. Charles said this was the 1st motorcycle he's seen come to the shop that was not on a trailer this winter. Tough riders those RoadGlide owners!

Motorcycles are not allowed on the roads here yet as stated by the Stupidest law in the World, so its an offence to ride anytime before March 15th in Quebec. Unless you download a form off the WEB Site of the DMV to get a Winter Tires Exemption form filled out - Which Gary had ;)

In the Low 40F today - But SUNNY!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to read this post twice! Thats the craziest law i've ever heard. WOW! How much is the winter license?
I just uploaded a copy of the exemption myself for a ride maybe tomorrow if the weather holds up. It's FREE.
It's only valid for 10 days and can only be renewed 4 times a year per vehicle. So basically you state when you are leaving the province or country and when you are expecting to return. So in essence you need 2 exceptions if you intend on returning home before the restriction period ends but are gone more than 10 days. It's silly. Just another PITA bureaucracy for us bikers to deal with. Logically law enforcement have a right to ticket anytime if they believe you are putting yourself and others in harms way. So in essence this is just BS. I mean its happened many times that we get snow storms in April and even up till mid to end of May. But by law we are ok to ride in those periods, but COMMON SENSE dictates that we will STAY OFF the roads. Just another stupid law put into place because some Jack Off probably killed himself or worse an innocent victim. The masses pay for the few.
We are the ONLY place on earth that have such a law that I know of.
OK well that felt good to vent....lol
Gary if your out there Hope you did not get pulled over by any over zealous LEO.;)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
So get some "winter" tires for the bike, would that not exempt you from needing the permit?? What qualifies as a "winter" tire??

Winter doesn't end here till 2 snows after the robins return. The robins insist on looking stupid every year.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So get some "winter" tires for the bike, would that not exempt you from needing the permit?? What qualifies as a "winter" tire??
Winter doesn't end here till 2 snows after the robins return. The robins insist on looking stupid every year.
To be honest I'm not sure about that. Do they make Winter Tires SPECIFICALLY for our Touring Bikes? The cost of buying a set of tires and installing them every year to maybe get to ride less than 10 times a season in good to fair weather riding does not seem worth the effort or cost! I already have to have 2 set of tires for the car and van, this is just another wallet drain.. I'm running out of storage space already as it is now. Just wish they would rescind the law and let LEO's decide when and where to hand out infractions for dangerous ridding.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the explanation bro. I've been a deputy 18 years and that has got to be the most ridiculous law ever!!
There is a lot of Biker Associations that have tried to negotiate with the government to have this law abolished. I have a lot of friends who are in law enforcement and that ride and NONE of them like this law. Like you say its simply RIDICULOUS. I guess one way around it would be for me to get and out of Province Licence and plate my bike in Ontario or New Brunswick my neighbouring provinces or simply MOVE!

·
Registered
3 Posts
THANK YOU PETER for the big welcome

Thanks Peter for the great write up and meeting you at Harley Montreal yesterday. I have to say the tire law is stupid, but on the other hand it makes sense for cage owners to have them on since here in Quebec we have no fault insurance, where the government pays out medical claims for accidents and not the individual suing the other drive for medical claims. Motorcycles though should be exempt. I see bicycles all winter long in the middle of the road in deep snow. Tell me that is not dangerous. I think some common sense is due here. Your not going to take your ride out on a slushy snowy day, but on a nice clear clean road day in January...why noy :eek:

Great to be part of the gang :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Saw some motorcycles out in Portland Me yesterday when i picked up the bride at the airport. Saw an older Wing in Newport getting off 95, still pretty messy on the roads here away from the interstate so I hope he was paying attention.

I had heard about the winter tire rule up there,but wasnt aware it included motorcycles. Makes you wonder how much thought goes into these rules when they are written, like the NY gun law they passed recently for Cuomos media attention and ended up with police officers being in violation because they had state issued mags with higher capacity than the King would allow.

You should just ride a Ural with the factory knobbies during the winter and they will leave you alone :D

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Peter for the great write up and meeting you at Harley Montreal yesterday...<snip,snip>..
Great to be part of the gang :)
Was great meeting you too. Wish I had time stick around to talk more, I usually do - especially with RG owner's ;) Welcome to the Shark Tank (noticed your 1st post here!).
Ride Safe.
Peter
P.S.: Going up to 7C today(46F) - I might just go out for a little ride this afternoon. If your ever in the neighbourhood of HD Brossard (LEO) I live 4 blocks away. Send me an email or PM and we can do a ride.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Saw some motorcycles out in Portland Me yesterday when i picked up the bride at the airport. Saw an older Wing in Newport getting off 95, still pretty messy on the roads here away from the interstate so I hope he was paying attention.

I had heard about the winter tire rule up there,but wasnt aware it included motorcycles. Makes you wonder how much thought goes into these rules when they are written, like the NY gun law they passed recently for Cuomos media attention and ended up with police officers being in violation because they had state issued mags with higher capacity than the King would allow.

You should just ride a Ural with the factory knobbies during the winter and they will leave you alone :D
We did a quick ride through town yesterday to the local HD dealer but roads still to salty and wet. but I couldnt resist the 50 deg temp! I havent rode since november and i cant wait any longer! Lol well maybe just s few more weeks. Im gonna be cleaning my ride all day a today. Rochester NH 45 mins south of Portland

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I look forward to this weekend every year, the weekend we switch over to Daylight Savings Time. Definitely means spring is almost here.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a crazy law! How does Canada feel about loud pipes?
For our Province, I know of maybe 5 cities that have tough rules on noise pollution and vigorously hand out tickets to bikers. So we simply avoid those towns or behave when ridding threw them. But our Government does have plans for a new Province wide law for noise emissions from motorcycles. They will have new noise emission guides and equipment to measure our pipes and within the next 3 years it will be law..don't think there will be much we can do about it. Right now its more of a here it comes...you have been warned with sufficient time..so be ready in 2016! :(

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Thanks Peter for the great write up and meeting you at Harley Montreal yesterday. I have to say the tire law is stupid, but on the other hand it makes sense for cage owners to have them on since here in Quebec we have no fault insurance, where the government pays out medical claims for accidents and not the individual suing the other drive for medical claims. Motorcycles though should be exempt. I see bicycles all winter long in the middle of the road in deep snow. Tell me that is not dangerous. I think some common sense is due here. Your not going to take your ride out on a slushy snowy day, but on a nice clear clean road day in January...why noy

Great to be part of the gang

All I got to say is HELLO OBAMA CARE . We are next boys . :mad:

Welcome to the forum Gary.

·
Registered
348 Posts
In Alberta there isn't a province wide noise bylaw yet. The city of Edmonton has the bylaw but Calgary doesn't.
We're just like the states every state line has different laws. Like the drinking age 21 in the US everywhere up here it's 19 in B.C. 18 in Alberta 19 in Saskatchewan. Why who knows?
I still can't believe some states you can ride without a helmet but up here it's the law all the way across. What about seat belts if you don't need a helmet do you have to wear your belt?
As for the winter tire law it only makes sense for those without common sense. I see it every day people running 22" low profile summer tires doesn't take long for them to crash. I went for a ride a few weeks ago we have no such law out here.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was great meeting you too. Wish I had time stick around to talk more, I usually do - especially with RG owner's ;) Welcome to the Shark Tank (noticed your 1st post here!).
Ride Safe.
Peter
P.S.: Going up to 7C today(46F) - I might just go out for a little ride this afternoon. If your ever in the neighbourhood of HD Brossard (LEO) I live 4 blocks away. Send me an email or PM and we can do a ride.
Great...Just back from a 160 km trip to Lancaster, Ontario....lol....seemed to be the only biker on the road today...oh well people don't know what there missing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Peter for the great write up and meeting you at Harley Montreal yesterday. I have to say the tire law is stupid, but on the other hand it makes sense for cage owners to have them on since here in Quebec we have no fault insurance, where the government pays out medical claims for accidents and not the individual suing the other drive for medical claims. Motorcycles though should be exempt. I see bicycles all winter long in the middle of the road in deep snow. Tell me that is not dangerous. I think some common sense is due here. Your not going to take your ride out on a slushy snowy day, but on a nice clear clean road day in January...why noy

Great to be part of the gang

All I got to say is HELLO OBAMA CARE . We are next boys . :mad:

Welcome to the forum Gary.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts