Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured that would be the first thing I replaced. It's not. Stereo is fine at 65. Wind is more than bearable. First 50 miles thought it was bad for the music. Turned on the auto volume control and dropped my ipod in the compartment and I'm good. Didn't try yhr hat test yet. I'm 5'10".

What's your opinion of it. Besides it looks really cool. Imo.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Interesting, sat on a 16 yesterday, the fairing seems like it's a lot higher on the new bikes. I'm thinking maybe has something to do with it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I could hear my stereo ok under about 40-45. Much above that I had to turn it up so loud that it distorted and sounded like garbage. I bought a long ride shields 13" stingray and it's much better. I can now hear the stereo well up to about 75 or 80. With less wind in my face I can also wear whatever sunglasses I want to with my 3/4 helmet without having to worry about my eyes drying out. It's also better when riding in the rain because any rain drops hitting my face are slowed down enough they don't sting much at all. Really the only downside I've found is that I can hear the valve noise better.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could hear my stereo ok under about 40-45. Much above that I had to turn it up so loud that it distorted and sounded like garbage. I bought a long ride shields 13" stingray and it's much better. I can now hear the stereo well up to about 75 or 80. With less wind in my face I can also wear whatever sunglasses I want to with my 3/4 helmet without having to worry about my eyes drying out. It's also better when riding in the rain because any rain drops hitting my face are slowed down enough they don't sting much at all. Really the only downside I've found is that I can hear the valve noise better.
Didn't consider rain. I'm sure that's when I'll want a taller windshield.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I liked the stock windshield on my 2015 but did not provide enough cold weather wind protection. I got an 11" Madstad dark smoke with the quick remove brackets. Base plate can be run by itself, which is the same height as stock. Had to get a set of GADS. Glide Air Deflector System due to the under tank wind. Only drawback is the quick release brackets rattle on occasion, but is minimal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
With the stock shield I had an enormous amount of wind noise at the crown of my helmet, so much so could not hear the radio above 40 mph. Luckily the dealer had shields in stock, swapped on a 14" Freedom Shield and bought the bike. With the 14" shield I can easily hear the radio at 70. Now just need to figure out how to hear it at 90

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
With the stock shield I had an enormous amount of wind noise at the crown of my helmet, so much so could not hear the radio above 40 mph. Luckily the dealer had shields in stock, swapped on a 14" Freedom Shield and bought the bike. With the 14" shield I can easily hear the radio at 70. Now just need to figure out how to hear it at 90
These bikes need an amp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The stock shield is fine around town or on short trips. Really, it did a better job controlling buffeting than I thought it would.

My main complaint is the level of wind noise from it. I know not everyone listens to music when riding, but I usually do, especially on long trips. It was almost impossible to hear the music above 60mph or so. Earplugs helped a little. But depending on how windy of a day it was, anything over 60-65mph was still a no-go for hearing music very well. Also, while the buffeting was fine for me, when my wife was on the back she said it was much worse than my '08 FLTR.

I ended up swapping out the shield for a 12" Freedom Shield. It is perfect for me (5'11", 30"), and my wife noticed a massive difference as well. After putting it on the wind noise was cut dramatically, and I could hear the radio very well up to 65ish with no ear plugs, and you could hear it reasonably well up to 75ish. I had already ordered speakers and an amp at that point (Hogtunes kit). Now I can hear the music just fine, at as fast of a speed as I'm willing to ride, without turning it more than 75-80% of the way up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If i was 5'10 or shorter i think the stock shield would be perfect. I love the look but at 6'1 i had to buy a taller shield to push the bugs over my head. I like not having to clean glasses or a face shield. My 15 RGS catches alot of bugs this time of year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm on the shorter side at 5'7" and the stock shield works great for me besides the wind noise, which isnt that bad i mean its still a bagger.

I'm trying out a 10" freedom sport right now but the buffeting on it for me is really bad. Wanted to find a little bit quieter shield for longer rides that I wont have to look through. Was definitely quieter. Talked with John and going to try the 10" touring style.

The 10" sport looked sick though

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not very impressed with the stock shield. I'm vertically challenged but the wind was still beating the top of my helmet to death. Just ordered a klockwerks 14" sport flare windshield yesterday. We'll see how that helps!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not very impressed with the stock shield. I'm vertically challenged but the wind was still beating the top of my helmet to death. Just ordered a klockwerks 14" sport flare windshield yesterday. We'll see how that helps!
I should get one for my trip and the cooler weather. I'm sure it's a lot better than the stocker. I'm just surprised how well it works. The 8" on my 11 was like tits on a bull. The 12" KW was awesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The stock shield on my CVO has the wind hitting me right at the ears. Need to get something to move the airstream.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The stock shield on my CVO has the wind hitting me right at the ears. Need to get something to move the airstream.
First. Thank you for your service.

Second. My wife is going to kill me when the box shows up. I ordered the 14" Sport flare yesterday. I have a 4 day trip coming up. I don't want wind to be a factor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also went with 14" klock werks sport flare shield. Very happy with it! No head buffeting, can hear the stock radio at 80 mph fine, no wind blasting my face but still get air blowing on chest area with the vents open. Can't compare to other after market shields, I'm sure their just as good but have no need to look for another. And it's contours look good with the shark fairing IMO. For reference I'm 6'0 32" inseam, '16 RGS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You're going to love the 14" sport flare. I received mine friday and it is night and day difference. It completely changed the bike. I have absolutely no issues with wind whatsoever. Radio is great and no wind slamming my helmet or ears. Love It! The stock one will never touch my bike again.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You're going to love the 14" sport flare. I received mine friday and it is night and day difference. It completely changed the bike. I have absolutely no issues with wind whatsoever. Radio is great and no wind slamming my helmet or ears. Love It! The stock one will never touch my bike again.
You're right. I love it. Put 100 miles on yesterday. Stereo sounds better. Pipes are louder and Damn I can hear my tires hum. Lol. Boy was I missing out. Ya. The stock shield won't be back on this bike. Love the look too.

Reactions: mpr3369
1 - 19 of 19 Posts