Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at suspension upgrades for my 08 since having ridden a 'new frame'. Like most other aftermarket parts there is plenty of snake oil baring false hope in the way of performance enhancement with suspensions. Ive been running a bagger brace for years, and while it may offer some benefit, its not a 'fix' for the bagger wobble. Im thinking it will end up being multiple items together that will tighen things up.

I recently installed Sta-Bo swingarm bushings which seemed to reduce some of the side to side movement of the swingarm while cornering. Next Im looking at rear shocks, and front fork options and so far have found the following:

Rear:
Ohlins $960 Nitrogen/oil reservior, longer stroke with rebound
Ricor $629 suppose to have the same characteristics as Ohlins
Bitubo $750 again, adjustable shock
Ultima $240 Adjustable, but Ive heard of mixed reviews
Progressive ? On the same line as Ultima

Front:
Traxxion Dynamic $1150 Internal cartridge dampening
Ricor $230 Fork Valves

Depending upon whom you talk to, their product is great, and no one has any recommendations to anything other. So does anyone have any experience with any of this?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jack up the seat and run a new bike under it??

I definitely need lowering shocks and maybe forks under my '11 but I'm torn on what to do. I had progressive 440's on my old Ultra Classic, they were OK(MUCH better than the stockers) but I always felt they could have been better. Maybe they would be on the new swing arm, but I also didn't like their tendency to top out and clunk over bumps.
I've heard good reviews on the new Harley adjustables, but I don't see a part # for the lowered version.
I'd also like to hear more on the Progressive fork cartridges.

I'm also thinking I might like a smidge more than 1" lower for my 29" inseam.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have the progressive 940 on my bike, I really like them. The same travel as the 13 touring shocks but one inch lower.

I have the mono tube cartridges and really like them. Will be on of the first mods I do on the next bike. Really reduces the front end dive, I can hold a line better in the curves also.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've ran the Progressive 940's and they were good , ran the Ricor and they plain sucked , am running the Ohlin's #3-#3 currently and they are the best by far , if you are an hdforum member Howard will sell them to you for around $740 , the Ohlins 2-2A is a great buy for a 12" shock , the #2 line Howard sells for around $540 with the discount , The Ohlins would be my 1st two choices and then the Progressive , the reason I prefer Ohlins over the 940's is although I liked the 940's many people complain they are to stiff , Ohlins are custom built for your bike , your weight & riding style , as far as front ends I am running Progressive monotubes currently and really like them , I considered the Traxxion and still may buy them but I talked to several people who have ran monotubes and Traxxion and all agreed Traxxion was better but not $800 better (Phat Performance sell monotubes for $264) and they felt monotubes were the best buy

·
Registered
40 Posts
TJ,

Can you explain a bit more about why you didn't like the Ricor's? I'm thinking about selling my 03 RG and getting a new RGC and I think upgrading the shorter rear shocks will be one of the first things I'll need to do.

I had heard good things about Ricor, so am interested in your experience.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I put the Ricors on , talked to Brian and got them set up , solo they were nice , 2up with a back rest they were good , but I have a removable tour pak as well , 2up -tour pak-loaded for a trip they were terrible , to soft and bottomed , I adjust them and they go to being to stiff , just never could dial them in , when I ran Progressive's 940's they were good with all 3 set ups , the Ohlins are outstanding with all 3 set ups , I was disappointed I paid $629.99 for the Ricors and they didn't work , you can find the 940,s for $500 and they work , the Ohlin's #3 series was $740 and they are great

1 - 7 of 7 Posts