Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After great consideration, I am planning to present a bid to bring SW-V to the Mountains of NC. This will wind up being a regional bid as you can ride into 5 states from this area. Details will be developed over this next year so we can present the bid at SW IV.

I am looking for support from any members in the region of NC/SC/Tenn/Northern Ga/Southwest VA.

I have a Location in mind but am not going to say exactly where at this point. This region of the country is within a one or two day ride of most of the country. Great roads, great food, excellent weather, and awesome scenery.

:D

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Tim,
I am in for planing this event. We have thousands of miles of the BEST roads in America! The snake, the dragon, Maggie valley, Wheels Through Time, Cherahola Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway, mountains, waterfalls, lakes, rivers, shopping, great food, and the hospitality will be second to none! This would be the epic shark week experience!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,915 Posts
That's the spirit! The more people there are bidding on these events the better they're likely to be. Competition breeds excellence. Wheels Through Time should be on everybody's bucket list if you like American motorcycles. Great museum and great guy, Dale Walksler. Finding lodging big enough on a one year or less notice can be very tricky. I suggested a while back that we should pick SW winners 18-24 months in advance. Our #1 choice in Maine dropped quickly to number 2 after we found out that 2 of their 4 facilities was already booked for 8 weeks (July/August) 13-14 months in advance. You can't start exploring the viable options quick enough from my perspective. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I'd support that........Maggie Valley area (and surrounding) is some of the nicest scenery & offers some of the nicest roads known to man! I just finished the 10th anniversary of a ride I host, so I'd be glad to offer assistance in planning & such......

·
Registered
463 Posts
After great consideration, I am planning to present a bid to bring SW-V to the Mountains of NC. This will wind up being a regional bid as you can ride into 5 states from this area. Details will be developed over this next year so we can present the bid at SW IV.

I am looking for support from any members in the region of NC/SC/Tenn/Northern Ga/Southwest VA.

I have a Location in mind but am not going to say exactly where at this point. This region of the country is within a one or two day ride of most of the country. Great roads, great food, excellent weather, and awesome scenery.

:D
Some awesome riding up there in them there mountain's... I would be down for this...

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I agree that would be a great area to hold SW. Having a SW 2-consecutive years on the east coast could be an uphill battle though.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'd really like to run Bamff and Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Teton, Beartooth, etc, etc. I'll be pushing for those areas. Doesn't have to stay in the states when there is such a large component of Canadians that showed up this and every other year either. There are a lot of great roads all over this country to see. I realize that everybody wants to show off their local areas, however given that this is becoming a larger and larger event there should be some coordinated effort to refine the process of picking a new place. Might get a little cumbersome if there are 30 submittals to weed through next year along with submittals for future years down the road.

·
Administrator
10,388 Posts
I don't know that it is chiseled in stone for a rotation from east to central to west , but it will be a hard sell to have two back to back east coast events ..

Time for those Texans or Arkinsawans to get in gear for their push to host SWV , or some Canandiens eehh ?

JtB

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'd be glad to help support this the Appalacians have some of those beautiful riding on the East Coast my wife's home is in Martinsville Virginia so you can count me as a southwestern Virginia guy!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd really like to run Bamff and Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Teton, Beartooth, etc, etc. I'll be pushing for those areas. Doesn't have to stay in the states when there is such a large component of Canadians that showed up this and every other year either. There are a lot of great roads all over this country to see. I realize that everybody wants to show off their local areas, however given that this is becoming a larger and larger event there should be some coordinated effort to refine the process of picking a new place. Might get a little cumbersome if there are 30 submittals to weed through next year along with submittals for future years down the road.
I concur with Desertwndrr, Calgary/Banff area would be awesome. I've been wanting to ride that area for years...

Nevertheless, for the Smoky Mountain areas around Tennessee, North Carlina, a place that might have the hotels to support a SW you may want to check is Alcoa, Tennessee. There are several hotels within walking distance of several restaurants near the Holiday Inn Express at Alcoa. Alcoa is an easy ride to the Smoky Mountains, Maggie Valley, etc. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Wait a minute; don't they talk funny down there? Or is it the folks up north? Or maybe a bit further north Aaah? :D

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I agree that would be a great area to hold SW. Having a SW 2-consecutive years on the east coast could be an uphill battle though.
Before I attended SWIII, I would have agreed. However, even though St George was an easy one day ride from most of the west coast, a plurality of the attendees seemed to be from east of the Rocky Mountains.

·
Administrator
10,388 Posts
Alcoa would be nice , stay there for work several times a year , the road that the HI is on ( 35?? ) has several motels and a Texas Roadhouse and couple other eat joints , 11 miles off I140 , short hop to Maryville and PF/GB , Cherohala etc

JtB

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thimging of the Maggie Valley area. I will look at these other suggested site. Gotta make sure it's centrally located so there are multiple ride options and there is a facility that can meet our needs.
Thanks to all for the offers of assistance I will be in touch. Still on the road home from SWIII. Headed to Rapid City today.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts