Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where this should go, so I put it here. Has anyone bought someone else's gauges and installed them in your bike? I'm specifically talking about the gauge that houses the odometer. How did you change the mileage to match your bike. My local HD dealer says the odometer(or at least the mileage) is "married" to one bike. Which makes sense to prevent odometer fraud, but I always see gauges for sale. I'm not talking new gauges, I'm talking used gauges from someone else's bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
For once, your dealer is correct. Odometer can not be changed once it syncs to the ECM. You can however order a new one, and the factory will set it to your bikes milage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recently purchased some gauges that were within 100 miles of my mileage, I installed them and made a note in the owners manual of the discrepancy so if I ever sell it I can show the potential buyer, also kept the originals.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I swapped gauges to silver face from black.I tried everything and everybody and the mileage could not be changed.however I got the glass off of 1 of the gauges,pulled the needle off,peeled the face off,did the same for the other speedometer and swapped the faces and put the glass back on.almost 30,000 miles later and everything still works.no water under the glass,no leaks,and the speed is still 4 miles a hour off just like the original(by a gps).

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,964 Posts
.....I got the glass off of 1 of the gauges,pulled the needle off,peeled the face off,did the same for the other speedometer and swapped the faces.....
...... where there's a will, there IS a way
.... that's the issue w/used gauges, can't get the OD to reset. I'd'a changed out to Spun Aluminum a couple times by now if that were not the issue. The new price for those things has me appreciating my silver face stockers a whole lot more.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. I bought a set so that I could have mine customized with no down time. After talking to my dealer, I sent in my original odometer rather than the one I purchased just to be safe. And as fate would have it, I won't be able to ride my bike for a couple more weeks anyway.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
For once, your dealer is correct. Odometer can not be changed once it syncs to the ECM. You can however order a new one, and the factory will set it to your bikes milage.

This is incorrect The odometer is not mated to the ECM. Also the mileage is stored in the odometer not the ecm. If you swap out gauges what ever was on the odometer when it was taken off the donor bike will show as the mileage when you install it on your bike. This is one of the reasons low mileage odometers bring a premium price. People can swap theirs out and show a lower mileage on their bike when the sell it and really there is no way of proving it. I did a gauge swap on my 2011 RGU because I hated the black faced ones that came with it. Just seemed like too much black on black. I picked up a set of take off silver faced gauges with 3 miles showing on the odometer. Mine at the time had about 5600 hundred miles on it when I switched it out. When I installed the new set it showed 3 miles on it. No issues in the past 10k or so miles I've put on it since.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is incorrect The odometer is not mated to the ECM. Also the mileage is stored in the odometer not the ecm. If you swap out gauges what ever was on the odometer when it was taken off the donor bike will show as the mileage when you install it on your bike. This is one of the reasons low mileage odometers bring a premium price. People can swap theirs out and show a lower mileage on their bike when the sell it and really there is no way of proving it. I did a gauge swap on my 2011 RGU because I hated the black faced ones that came with it. Just seemed like too much black on black. I picked up a set of take off silver faced gauges with 3 miles showing on the odometer. Mine at the time had about 5600 hundred miles on it when I switched it out. When I installed the new set it showed 3 miles on it. No issues in the past 10k or so miles I've put on it since.

I think you missed the forest for the trees. The point pgr was making was not whether it was mated to the ECM. Whether it is or not isn't relevant. What all above are saying is that when you swap out gauges, the dealer won't reset your mileage for exactly the reason you mentioned.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I think you missed the forest for the trees. The point pgr was making was not whether it was mated to the ECM. Whether it is or not isn't relevant. What all above are saying is that when you swap out gauges, the dealer won't reset your mileage for exactly the reason you mentioned.

I think he misunderstood what I was saying. The first time the bike is started, the ECM reads everything associated with it, and takes a "snapshot" of the systems. This includes the odometer. That mileage is, as he said, stored in the speedometer, AS WELL AS, the ECM.

The last time I had my bike hooked to a digital technician, the miles stored on the ECM was different from what it said on the odometer, since I had changed it out. The difference in mine is 1425 miles. I have that on a note with my title, if I ever sell the bike, so I can record the actual miles on the transfer.

In Illinois odometer fraud can cost you $1500, plus court costs, and attorney fees.

"According to Illinois law (Chapter 625 ILCS 5/3-
112.1), a person may be awarded $1,500 or three
times the amount of damages plus court costs
and attorney fees in fraud cases."

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I think he misunderstood what I was saying. The first time the bike is started, the ECM reads everything associated with it, and takes a "snapshot" of the systems. This includes the odometer. That mileage is, as he said, stored in the speedometer, AS WELL AS, the ECM.

The last time I had my bike hooked to a digital technician, the miles stored on the ECM was different from what it said on the odometer, since I had changed it out. The difference in mine is 1425 miles. I have that on a note with my title, if I ever sell the bike, so I can record the actual miles on the transfer.

In Illinois odometer fraud can cost you $1500, plus court costs, and attorney fees.

"According to Illinois law (Chapter 625 ILCS 5/3-
112.1), a person may be awarded $1,500 or three
times the amount of damages plus court costs
and attorney fees in fraud cases."
That I didn't know. I did when I swapped my gauges take pictures of the old and new odometer reading and the date though to not hide it for this very reason.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
That I didn't know. I did when I swapped my gauges take pictures of the old and new odometer reading and the date though to not hide it for this very reason.

That was a good idea. Some states will nail you to the wall if you sell a vehicle with a fake odometer reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts