Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a set of OEM wheels from a fellow memeber and the rear wheel didn't come with a sprocket. ....I thought nothing if it since I already had one so I was curious do I need to rebalance my rim after I put my sprocket on the new wheel. Just to let ya know the wheel being swapped is a magazine wheel and the same size as my OEM wheel on my RGU. Everything the same other than design. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It's good practice to balance all moving parts on either wheel (sproket, rotors etc), but may not be necessary. I've swapped rear wheels before without including the sprocket in the balance before and have had no issues. It's luck of the draw, and I personally would try running it as is without a balance.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the assistance on this I appreciate it. Just curious about the bolts though any idea why something like that you may not reuse them ? Is it a torque thing ? Or ?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Thank you for the assistance on this I appreciate it. Just curious about the bolts though any idea why something like that you may not reuse them ? Is it a torque thing ? Or ?

I'm not sure of why it is recomended to replace all boilts , but I'd think as much stress as they take, for a few bucks, I'd do it. As far as balancing goes, I stopped useing stick on weights years ago. Dyna beads work great! Installation DURING Tire install is the easiest, but you CAN install THRU the valve stem after the fact (just need some patience). Need a 2OZ bag per wheel for our size wheels. Good Luck!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Those bolts are made to stretch when installed. They will only stretch so far before breaking. Good idea to follow those recommendations.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to ask but how do you remove the sprocket off the wheel ? Where do you get those balance beads ?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the tire came on the wheel. Based on the date of the tire it seems like its the original tire. I'm looking to get this rim and tire mounted in my bike ride it a little bit and then put in a claim for the tire with a nail in it with my tire and wheel coverage on ESP. I just would like to get my sprocket off and my bike off the lift, just don't know how to.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Don't wanta tell you to use an impact driver. But can tell ya call the dealer to make sure they have the tire you want, they've came out and trailered mine to the shop, cause of screw in drive way,(still leaking out when they got there) included with esp, have least 2/32 thread

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
with the 08 and newer wheels with the integrated ids drive, there are no bolts for the sprocket. it just lifts off.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Sketch that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Perfect now all I need is to buy my 5 bolts for the disc side and I'm good as gold ! Yeah I know the dealership has that service to tow the bike in but the gauge I have doesn't give me sizes like that. It gave me like a 4 and higher and it was in the green. The gauge I have is from HD that is also an air gauge and hose extension.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I meant tread, a machinst scale works, 2 32nd, I've had mine not covered at close to 1/32nd, and have been ?ed as to the last tire purchased, which dosen't matter, they can es&d.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to the dealership with all you sharks advice and info and its all good and even better .....I had store credit that I has no idea about and it cost me nothing plus they also had the tire in stock as well. Thanks guys. ....appreciate it. By chance any pointers in getting the caliper out of there ?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Went to the dealership with all you sharks advice and info and its all good and even better .....I had store credit that I has no idea about and it cost me nothing plus they also had the tire in stock as well. Thanks guys. ....appreciate it. By chance any pointers in getting the caliper out of there ?
Not sure what the manual says to do but I always remove the brake pads. Makes it much easier.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I forgot to ask but how do you remove the sprocket off the wheel ? Where do you get those balance beads ?
You can order them directly from Dyna-Bead or look for a dealer near you. I get mine from a Ducati dealer down the road from a lical Harley dealer.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
By chance any pointers in getting the caliper out of there ?
you gotta 'wiggle' it..... if you put a little pressure on it to spread the pads some it makes it easier.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I want to thank again all the members here that contributed to my call for help. I have accomplished what I thought was virtually impossible and became do able !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts