Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made the switch from the Factory 47 12" bars to a moto style setup. Aesthetic choice, the Factory 47 bars are an outstanding choice, very comfy, rode with them for ~2yrs/13k miles. (for reference Im 6'1", 30" inseam, and the 12" Bars put my hands just below inline with my shoulders).

Chose to attempt to keep the factory nacelle/gauge mounting to hide wiring, etc. Long term plan is full suspension, so eventually ill have to address the rats nest of wiring under the stock gauge mount, but for now it looks passable. Use braided loom to make the wiring from the bars to the nacelle look pretty. Brake lines are stock, have good movement, not tight anywhere. Unbelievably easy to pass the wiring through the short moto bars.

Couple notes.
Order the control clamps before you start. put me behind a day, cause i missed that note on the bars description. (Harley OEM part #45044-96A)
The braided wiring loom is impossible to find locally (at least in the south bay area, CA). order it form amz before you start. the half inch is a good size, expands to twice its size while threading the wiring through. Use heat shrink to keep the ends clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOPS,
Got trigger happy and didn't finish my thoughts.

New bar setup impressions:

Hands are closer together, but more to the point, closer to centerline of the bike. Maybe its in my head, but it feels like it transitions laterally more quickly. Great, comfortable riding position solo, haven't tried two up yet, but thats only about 10-15% of my riding. 10" riser plus the 2.5" rise in the bars themselves feels about same as previous set up. Very happy overall with the look, with the feel and the slightly different riding position. Probably better on my back, forces me to sit up a bit straighter than before when i could be lazy and hunch over. Might be all in my head too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is great to know as I have the same setup ready to install I just took it one step further and ordered a front end from Big Bear which should be coming in this week before I install the whole mess my only hang up now is choosing some wheels I hear some say the carbon fiber are too light and ride rough so I'm in the process of finding some alternative setups.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great to know as I have the same setup ready to install I just took it one step further and ordered a front end from Big Bear which should be coming in this week before I install the whole mess my only hang up now is choosing some wheels I hear some say the carbon fiber are too light and ride rough so I'm in the process of finding some alternative setups.

So far I am really happy with the setup. Looks great (IMHO), and i was shocked at how much felt vibration there are. I would adamantly argue less felt vibration than before with the 12" F47 bars, stock clamp, rubber bushing setup vs the new solid mount setup. what ever Kraus does inside those risers to make them "isolated" works.

Curious, why the BBC front end instead of the Kraus, if your running the Kraus setup?

WRT wheels, I havent gotten that far in my planning, but i spoke to a guy on another RG, with the full Kraus setup and the BST carbon wheels. he said he loved it.

Overall, I would assume you'll be stoked with the new setup too! Good luck on the install!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So far I am really happy with the setup. Looks great (IMHO), and i was shocked at how much felt vibration there are. I would adamantly argue less felt vibration than before with the 12" F47 bars, stock clamp, rubber bushing setup vs the new solid mount setup. what ever Kraus does inside those risers to make them "isolated" works.

Curious, why the BBC front end instead of the Kraus, if your running the Kraus setup?

WRT wheels, I havent gotten that far in my planning, but i spoke to a guy on another RG, with the full Kraus setup and the BST carbon wheels. he said he loved it.

Overall, I would assume you'll be stoked with the new setup too! Good luck on the install!
I went with BBC kit as I think it's a more complete kit plus I've done business with them before so I was comfortable with spending all that $$$ with them don't get me wrong Kraus was great to work with in fact I may end up buying my wheels from them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with BBC kit as I think it's a more complete kit plus I've done business with them before so I was comfortable with spending all that $$$ with them don't get me wrong Kraus was great to work with in fact I may end up buying my wheels from them.
Great reasons man. I to lean toward dealing with folks I have experience with. I have been waffling between the two for the forks setup myself, so I'm alway interested in hearing why someone went a certain way.

Myself, I went with the Kraus riser/bars purely because (even though its not done yet) I like the look of the gauge relocation better, it is was in stock at the local shop, so instant gratification played a small part :laugh:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not generally my scene but I do like the instal. Looks good and I have to say its the first one of these I can find myself thinking I could see my self doing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I justed installed the Factory 47 12inch on my 15 Gilde Special. Did you have any issues at all?
No issues at all functionally. They look great, ride great. For me the switch was a "look" thing, period. To me, the T-Bar & the (eventual) gauge cluster re-lo lend themselves to a performance look. An extreme example would be '68 Continental Convertible vs '69 Mustang. One's for cruising, ones pushing. I want to push on the road glide. My opinions, YMMV.:grin:

I have found that the new set up, not as wide a grip as the F47's doesn't allow me to be a lazy rider, hunched over, etc.. I seem to be sitting upright more naturally. NOT an issue with the F47 bars at all, purely a function of the "nut" connecting the bars and the seat.

In fact, I am installing the F47's on a buddies '17 RG in the next week or so I still stand by that they are a great choice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been rolling with this setup for a few months now, absolutely love the handling and feel when riding. When I started looking into the setup, no one other than Big Bear Performance offered a harness to relocate the gauge and they wanted $200 for the harness. I contacted Jose at Guerilla Cables back in September to ask if they made a harness, at the time the only harness they made happen to be the one the provide to Big Bear. I ask if they would make me a custom one and they did for around $70, which happens to be the one on the fairing in the pic below. That harness was to short so they built me a much longer one at no cost. Since then they have started offering the harness on their website.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Bike looks great witht he Red bars!

Is the Gauge housing (in pic) the Kraus one, and the wiring you're talking about an extension between the gauge and the bike harness?

I did not do the Guage relo, i used a raptor pull back, and then dremeled the hell out of the plastic where the switches used to mount to let the uprights through. That being said, im getting a little tired of wondering exactly how fast I am going....

Any chance you could share some pics of the area below the guage pod/behind the uprights to show your wiring solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your Bike looks great witht he Red bars!

Is the Gauge housing (in pic) the Kraus one, and the wiring you're talking about an extension between the gauge and the bike harness?

I did not do the Guage relo, i used a raptor pull back, and then dremeled the hell out of the plastic where the switches used to mount to let the uprights through. That being said, im getting a little tired of wondering exactly how fast I am going....

Any chance you could share some pics of the area below the guage pod/behind the uprights to show your wiring solution?

Thanks!
Thanks.

Yes it is the Kraus gauge bezel, IMO it needs some type of gasket that goes around the lenses just for a little added moisture security.

The harness that Guerrilla Cables offers plugs into the gauge housing, but you will have to cut the old connector off and pin the wires and put them into a new connector housing to plug into their harness. They supply the new connector, pins and directions, all the wires are color matched to stock. They said do to the connector type that plugs into the gauge housing doesn't have a female version and that is why the harness isn't 100% plug and play.

Since you are running the straight up risers you could run the gauge bezel on the rider side of the bars giving you a full view of the gauges, I have seen this a few times and think it looks really good. My Kick-back rise doesn't allow that.

Here are some pics you requested, circled is the harness routing.

If you have any question feel free to ask and answer what I can.

http://guerrillacables.com/2015-2019-road-glide-speedo-relocation-harness/

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the kick back risers too, so same boat, going to have to be behind the bars. (as an aside, i use a rock form phone mount, and it has to go behind the bars now, in front it blocks the fuel cap cover from opening).

Stepping away from the bars for a sec.. looks like you do not have the stock ignition switch? What was you overall solution for turning the bike on and off, as well as locking it?

Tried to talk to my local dealership, and they're convinced I need a CVO VIN to do the "CVO Flash" ive seen referenced on the forum. Maybe i explained it wrong to them, but sometimes they think they know more, and wont listen to the actual question...

And many thanks for letting me pick your brain!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the kick back risers too, so same boat, going to have to be behind the bars. (as an aside, i use a rock form phone mount, and it has to go behind the bars now, in front it blocks the fuel cap cover from opening).

Stepping away from the bars for a sec.. looks like you do not have the stock ignition switch? What was you overall solution for turning the bike on and off, as well as locking it?

Tried to talk to my local dealership, and they're convinced I need a CVO VIN to do the "CVO Flash" ive seen referenced on the forum. Maybe i explained it wrong to them, but sometimes they think they know more, and wont listen to the actual question...

And many thanks for letting me pick your brain!!
In the video below, the setup is the 10" Kickback riser on the Raptor plate, your setup will be pretty much the same when you add the bezel. I sat on this bike and feel in love with it, but I couldn't do the 10", so I went with the 12". The 12" without the raptor plate puts the bars roughly the same reach from the rider but slightly higher. On this bike the gauge was located perfectly due to the 10" rise, giving full view of it and full view of the radio. The pic attached is the best view I got of that bike have of the setup.

As for my phone mount, I used the Quad-Lock made for bicycles, I have it mounted right next to the riser clamp. https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/shop-ride/products/out-front-mount

When I purchased the bike it didn't have an alarm system, which is needed to eliminate the ignition. When the dealer added it I had them load the CVO ignition map, no issues. I suggest taking it to a different dealership. I don't lock the neck, never have.

I will also add that if you ever feel the need to add heated grips to the ride, the Harley one will not work. The inside of the left grip houses the control housing and it is very thick and as you can tell, so is the wall of the inner diameter of the bars. I added the Avon heated grips and put the module in the fairing. I also purchased the same connectors used to plug in the HD heated grips and just pinned the wires and built up the connectors to make them plug and play.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Blueangel73

thanks a ton for the insights and explanations!
Looks like next step is an alarm and the gauge pod! (and a different dealer for a flash)

(now where do i find that extra cash for new parts... lol. never ending cycle)

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts