Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I replaced my 13” stock shocks on my ‘17 RGU with some stock HD 12” shocks, would I regret it? Will the improvement in my ability to walk my bike outweigh what I give up in comfort and lean angle?

·
Registered
899 Posts
If I replaced my 13” stock shocks on my ‘17 RGU with some stock HD 12” shocks, would I regret it? Will the improvement in my ability to walk my bike outweigh what I give up in comfort and lean angle?

Actually, I found no loss of ride or handling going to the 12” HD shocks on my 17 RGU, definitely helps with walking the scooter around! I also had the front lowered with the HD Ultra Limited Low Kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KansasFLTRU

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I did a 1" lowering kit with 13" shocks. Still have the comfort of the 13's. And the ride height of 12's. If you have the newer spring shocks. Tamarack makes lowering blocks for them.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I did a 1" lowering kit with 13" shocks. Still have the comfort of the 13's. And the ride height of 12's. If you have the newer spring shocks. Tamarack makes lowering blocks for them.
^^this...DK customs also makes a kit..all you are doing is losing travel...the kits maintain the travel...and ride...

Reactions: PBSTN

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the Mean City Cycle seat conversion (which is HUGE), at 5’7” I am able to flat foot the bike. I can walk it fairly easily, after converting the rear passenger boards to those like on the Specials. I can’t help but think another inch would have a great effect on my confidence level, especially when parking on uneven surfaces or backing up the bike on slight inclines. I’m tempted to spend a few bucks just to lower the back with Tamarack or similar brand, and if it is huge, may then proceed with lowering the front. If it’s not huge, or if the ride is more negatively affected than I want, I’m not out that much money. Does anyone have a strong opinion on the downside of only lowering the rear?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 17 RGS, just under 9,000 miles. If you decide you don't want to go the lowering block route I would be more than happy to swap out my 12" hand adjustable shocks for your 13" shocks. My only reason for wanting 13" is I'm much more used to the slight addition in lean angle. I find I am constantly catching side stand tab etc... when I get out and start riding hard. I'm just used to the taller shocks. I also have a little hump at the end of the driveway and I have already ripped side stand spring off once when I pulled out and started leaning like I usually do and caught spring on hump. Again, just used to the additional inch.

Neil

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
On my 11TRX 13 inch shocks made a big difference in the lean angle. I went from wearing out the sides of floor boards and dragging brackets, to never dragging anything.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went from wearing out the sides of floor boards and dragging brackets, to never dragging anything.
That is the response I feared. I do not want to start scraping floorboards like I did on my lowered RK. Sounds like it is either adjustable air shocks or make due with where I’m at. I appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for that very kind offer, Roadsofa. I did not think anyone would be looking to move from 12 to 13. Sounds like from your response and offer, I should stay where I am at. I would prefer dealing with this issue than giving up lean angle. I am not a racer, but when we do curves in Arkansas I am aggressive enough that I scraped on my lowered RK Classic, and it was also a much rougher ride than this RGU. Thank you again, very much appreciated.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I prefer the lowered bike-2011 cvo-put 12 in on rear-dropped the front 2 with pro cartridge-that being stated,your clearance will be decided by how hard you ride in the corner-good luck

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
What's your footwear selection? I find wearing my work boots (lineman style) with the thicker sole and heel helps also.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The touring Harleys don't have much suspension travel or ground clearance as is. I wouldn't do anything to lessen what you have; you'll be scraping and draggin' and there will be an inch less travel before your butt hits bottom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts