Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad HD grip and was given a new one under warranty. After installing the new grip, the cruise control will only engage sometimes. I'm assuming a pinched wire although I'm sure there could be other causes.

Anyone else have a similar problem? What's the fix if it is pinched wire?​

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Like you said there is a good chance it is a pinched wire. I would recommend repairing the pinched wire by having the wire soldered and cover the repaired section with heat shrink tubing. Not hard to do if you have the tools but may be worthwhile to let some one else do it if you don't already have them for just one wire.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I would look into the front brake light switch. If you did not follow the correct procedures when working on the switch housings you could damage or dislocate the brake light switch. If the brake light turns on even for a split second the cruise will disable and if the brake light is stuck on the cruise will not set. Check to see if the brake light is stuck on or have someone follow you and see if the brake light is flashing on/off.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would look into the front brake light switch. If you did not follow the correct procedures when working on the switch housings you could damage or dislocate the brake light switch. If the brake light turns on even for a split second the cruise will disable and if the brake light is stuck on the cruise will not set. Check to see if the brake light is stuck on or have someone follow you and see if the brake light is flashing on/off.
I had the manual out doing the switch and tried to follow the instructions to a T, still a chance you're right though. Have to check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the info.​

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would look into the front brake light switch. If you did not follow the correct procedures when working on the switch housings you could damage or dislocate the brake light switch.... Check to see if the brake light is stuck on or have someone follow you and see if the brake light is flashing on/off.
Yep, brake light on constant. I guess I have to take it back apart and see what happened. Any pointers so I don't have to keep doing so?​

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I cut off the tip of a plastic tie and used it as an insert to keep the lever off the switch. Anything will work as long as it doesn't slip out.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

Yep, brake light on constant. I guess I have to take it back apart and see what happened. Any pointers so I don't have to keep doing so?​
Don't feel bad. Sounds like yours is still working. I broke mine. Had no idea you were supposed to shim it. Oh well live and learn.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cut off the tip of a plastic tie and used it as an insert to keep the lever off the switch. Anything will work as long as it doesn't slip out.
I did too, guess it didn't work so well.​

Don't feel bad. Sounds like yours is still working. I broke mine. Had no idea you were supposed to shim it. Oh well live and learn.
Do you remember what the repair cost was and did you do it or did you have it done?​

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I think H-D price for the switch is about 60. I purchased from Indy for 16.95. You will need to pull the fairing and find the wiring junction and match the colors. I replaced mine when I put on new bars. Before that I used a small sticky 'o' ring with a piece of Gorilla tape on the lever to cause the light to go off so my cruise would work.:D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think H-D price for the switch is about 60. I purchased from Indy for 16.95. You will need to pull the fairing and find the wiring junction and match the colors...
Pull the fairing to replace a switch in the RH control housing? Man, I hope there's an easier or simpler way than that.​

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have had this problem for 2 yrs now. Harley has replaced the switch and cleaned the connector under the speedo/tach but it still works only 50% of the time.

I will look at my brake light to see if it's on but I would imagine a HD mechanic would have checked that?

How would you check the clutch lever as that will pop it out of cruise as well?

I need to figure this one out as it's really getting old and starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I have had this problem for 2 yrs now. Harley has replaced the switch and cleaned the connector under the speedo/tach but it still works only 50% of the time.

I will look at my brake light to see if it's on but I would imagine a HD mechanic would have checked that?

How would you check the clutch lever as that will pop it out of cruise as well?

I need to figure this one out as it's really getting old and starting to piss me off.
The clutch switch is typical to the brake switch and if it doesn't work properly then your cruise will not work properly, If your problem is not in the brake light switch then the next place to look is the clutch switch.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think it may be my front brake, when the bike is sitting at idle I look at the top of my brake light and can see it constantly flickering, not bright enough that the whole bulb lights up but you can see a constant flicker right in the middle of the bulb. I think this may be causing the cruise to not engage.

The flicker goes away when I apply either brake. What do I look for when I take the control cap off?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I also believe that your bike has a recall on the back brake light switch so that may be your problem as well. You can put the switch housing together without having the brake lever properly seated in the notch that is for the brake lever. Other then that you may have damaged the brake light switch which would require the switch to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice guys, took everything apart and re-assembled. Doesn't seem to have any damage to the brake light switch, cruise engages and stays on. Brake light works when it is supposed to. Was even able to get some cycle therapy in this evening before dark.​

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Glad you got everything back in working order, enjoy your new grips and ride safe.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, took everything apart and re-assembled. Doesn't seem to have any damage to the brake light switch, cruise engages and stays on. Brake light works when it is supposed to. Was even able to get some cycle therapy in this evening before dark.​
So you never found anything wrong? No smoking gun?

I thought it was the brake light but tunrs out not. The small flickering is because it is an led light and can only be seen from the top of the bulb.

Gonna call dealer again to see if they can friggin fix this, I hate not having my cruise when I want it WTF! How hard can it be for a tech to fix this friggin problem? Don't they have a board or something that all dealers access and share problems and solutions on? Getting tired of the ol "well we looked at this, this and this and cannot seem to find the cause" .......

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you never found anything wrong? No smoking gun?
My problem was that I didn't reassemble the TBW switch/brake housing together properly. The brake light stays off if the brake switch is depressed when not braking. Sounds odd but if you see it in the manual or when apart it will make sense. Its a very small round "button" that is rubber covered. It leaves a little circle on the back of the brake lever, you can see it with a flashlight looking in between the back of the lever and the switch housing. My brake lever was not as tight against the switch housing and therefore too far away from the switch to make contact as required for the brake light to be off.

When I reassembled according to the manual, which I strongly recommend buying, the brake light stayed off and the cruise worked as it should. My smoking gun was the brake light being on all the time. If your's isn't on all the time, it may be something else.​

1 - 19 of 19 Posts