Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I got a good deal on a vance&hines propipe so I went ahead and bought it. i currently run stock headers with aftermarket slip ons, hi flow air intake and my computer is flashed stage 1.

I was told by last owner that the bike has cams, ported head and all, it used to be stage 3 when he bought it, but he got rid of the thunderheader 2:1 because it was too loud for him. That's when the bike was flashed back to a stage 1.

But I have no proof of this, and since the bike was running fine for the 5,000 miles I put on so far, I didn't open everything to see what's in there. This lead me to the conclusion that going with something like the cobra powrpro tuner would be a good option for me.

I do not have the fundings to buy this right away and I am wondering if there's any issue running the pipe as the computer sits right now with only a dealership flashed stage 1?? Or should I just wait a month or so to get the cobra tuner first?

thanks ahead for the input

· Registered
492 Posts
Cams, headwork and Thunderheader seems like a lot for just an ECM flash. I would be curious to see if those heads are what the previous owner says they are. Did he provide any receipts or paperwork to support this? My dealer did a stage 1 download on my stock RGU because it was too lean.

· Registered
10,584 Posts
hi I got a good deal on a vance&hines propipe so I went ahead and bought it. i currently run stock headers with aftermarket slip ons, hi flow air intake and my computer is flashed stage 1.

I was told by last owner that the bike has cams, ported head and all, it used to be stage 3 when he bought it, but he got rid of the thunderheader 2:1 because it was too loud for him. That's when the bike was flashed back to a stage 1.

But I have no proof of this, and since the bike was running fine for the 5,000 miles I put on so far, I didn't open everything to see what's in there. This lead me to the conclusion that going with something like the cobra powrpro tuner would be a good option for me.

I do not have the fundings to buy this right away and I am wondering if there's any issue running the pipe as the computer sits right now with only a dealership flashed stage 1?? Or should I just wait a month or so to get the cobra tuner first?

thanks ahead for the input
You can run it with only stage 1 flash. Once you get a tuner and have the bike set up , it will run even better.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cams, headwork and Thunderheader seems like a lot for just an ECM flash. I would be curious to see if those heads are what the previous owner says they are. Did he provide any receipts or paperwork to support this? My dealer did a stage 1 download on my stock RGU because it was too lean.
it was not flashed stage 1 when it had the stage 3, it would have been dynoed back then ... He bought the bike from a harley dealership that did the job on the bike, i called them before i purshased but they couldnt confirm cause when they changed their database in 2009 they lost all pre 2009 history of their mechanic shop..
I doesn't bother me if it does have cams and headwork or not since the price was as it didn't

· Registered
10,584 Posts
it was not flashed stage 1 when it had the stage 3, it would have been dynoed back then ... He bought the bike from a harley dealership that did the job on the bike, i called them before i purshased but they couldnt confirm cause when they changed their database in 2009 they lost all pre 2009 history of their mechanic shop..
I doesn't bother me if it does have cams and headwork or not since the price was as it didn't
Your going to need to know all that stuff if you plan on a caned map instead of a dyno tune. It may take some time & guess work if you can't find out.

· Registered
492 Posts
Too bad the dealer couldn't confirm what was done. Like Big Gary said, should be fine with the stage 1. It would be a night and day difference with a good tune on it though.Good luck.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
I am having the same issue, bought my bike used. Was told it has a stage 1 kit, which I had no clue what that was. I was told it usually is just an aftermarket air filter, exhaust and tuner.

I don't seen to have a tuner and don't know if I have an aftermarket air filter. I do know I have a Bubs Seven 2-1 exhaust.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dinggus, stage 1 is a pretty common thing to see, if you wan't to have this confirm just drive by a harley dealership and it's pretty easy for them to look up in your ECM and see if it's been "flashed" stage 1, most of the stage 1 bike do not have tuners they're just "flash tuned" by a dealership.
hope that's helping you out

· Registered
2,001 Posts
You may want to rethink the Cobra Power Pro,i have a 2012 RG with a thunderheader,SE A/C and Fueling 574 cams,the bike runs fine the only issue i have is that my gas mileage took a crap after installing the cams,went from 45 to 33 after talking to Cobra about the issue,i have decide to buy a TTS Master Tune and just pay the damn dyno fee.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
The cobra doesnt change any timing just your afr,before the cam change it was getting 45 with the tuner,the cams and not a proper tuner made the big drop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.