Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up...
If you plan to cross into Canada before/during/after SWIV, it might be wise to get a Non-Resident insurance card from your provider. I got mine at no charge with a simple phone call to my agent and received it in the mail the next day. No one asked me for it when I entered Canada from Montana on the Alaskapade, but the border agent at the Canadian entry from Alaska checked for insurance and looked at my inspection sticker and license plate tags. there appears to be no consistency on the part of the border agents, so it's best to be prepared.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Good call Shrug. My agent emailed mine to me and i didn't think to mention it here.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Thanks Scott, it never occurred to me I would need anything other than proof of insurance card the state requires. The knowledge of the forum comes thru again!

·
Registered
542 Posts
wow, i have gone across the border a lot...sometimes twice a year. Never heard of that.
Great to know and I will get a card for sure. Thanks

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
When I got mine, I had to tell the agent a date range, so I made it for the month of August. Simple process, send them an email, got the "card" back via email. Printed it up and stashed it in the Tour Pak.

I am planning on a single day ride thru Ontario between Detroit and Rochester on Saturday, the 9th. I gotta hit Thunder Road and Clare's to backfill some Poker Chips, even though there should be one from Clare's waiting for me at the T&C. I always get two, one to keep and one to share.

My last trip thru Canada nobody ever asked for it either. But I am sure someone would if you got in an accident, or got pulled over for doing 100 mph in a 100 kph zone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if any of you guys passing thru hamilton/ancaster on your way to the niagrafalls border need anything let me know....eg lunch/beer/rest/site seeing the area/ what ever just give me a pm will give you my cell # even emergencies i have pickup truck and nice garage full of tools...

·
Registered
765 Posts
if any of you guys passing thru hamilton/ancaster on your way to the niagrafalls border need anything let me know....eg lunch/beer/rest/site seeing the area/ what ever just give me a pm will give you my cell # even emergencies i have pickup truck and nice garage full of tools...

Thanks Charlieb. My plan on the way home is through Niagra - Sudburry - Sault St Marie - Thunder Bay then back into the US

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Thanks Scott. I just ordered mine and they're mailing them out. Good looking out charlieb.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Been over the border thru several crossings , to New Brunswick and Quebec
both over the years. . Never heard of this before. Never had a Canadian border patrol officer ask for a passport until last summer either. Usually wave you thru after the firearms, alcohol and electronics questions thru the window.

I can see where this would be a good thing to have with you. Free pc of paper with pain in the ass reduction properties should something happen,all over that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Its a good idea. If you get pulled over on a weekend and experience a personality clash with the officer from my understanding they may keep you till Monday morning until proof of current ins. can be verified. Also Ive heard that 30mph over they can keep you? your bike? 5 days ? Their good folks though, Canada always adds extra pizazz to a trip! :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Markel-American / Bike-line told me that Canada doesn't require these any more - that my normal Kentucky proof of insurance card is fine - when I asked for one in 2011 and I have been back and forth to Canada quite a few times since then without one. As in the US I do carry proof of insurance and registration. If your insurance provider does still provide these cards it can't hurt - but be sure to have some kind of insurance card showing active insurance.

Per the Canadian embassy: Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada.

All I ever had to give them was our passports (the easiest way to get through the border) and answer a few questions about guns (no), alcohol (no) and tobacco (no). Do make a point of knowing your license plate number. :) If your state issues enhanced drivers licenses these work fine - Kentucky does not have them yet.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/englisH/visit/index.asp

Getting back into US requires ID: WHTI was successfully implemented on June 1, 2009 for entry into the U.S. by land and sea. U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License.

If you have any kind of criminal record, Canada will most probably block you from entering. http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/driving-in-canada.html

Some crossing points are very fast to go though, the busier crossing points can have long waits.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,897 Posts
I actually live about 35 miles form the Maine/New Brunswick border and go back and forth somewhat regularly. Unless you're unlucky enough to be the vehicle that they choose to have pull aside and be put through a more rigorous Q & A session, the whole process takes about 2 minutes to answer their 4-5 standard questions. Going into Canada it's usually:

Where do you live? What is your purpose for this trip? How long will you be in Canada? Are you carrying any firearms with you? Enjoy your stay.

To get back into the states the questions are different but easy and similar.

One cautionary thing I will say - if you're carrying prescription drugs with you, have them each in their individual pill bottles they came in with the pharmacy label with your name and script numbers on them if you can. There's a significant illegal pill (oxycodone, etc.) smuggling problem going on and you don't want to give them any reason to question your scripts if you should get pulled aside for a search of your vehicle. The chances of getting picked for a search are slim, but it does happen several times a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts