Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone up for a group ride from Texas? Jimmy Ray and I have been talking about a schedule and a route. I have a few ideas about meandering up the upper east coast to ensure I knock out the states on my list, but I can be flexible.

We had a great group ride from Vegas to St. George last year and Texas was well represented at SWIII. Who's up for a group ride and for topping the attendance by state again?

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,039 Posts
Hi Scott, I show 6 members and a total of 12 people who are registered from Texas alone, so you shouldn't have a problem putting together a Gypsy Tour Southwest.

The only suggestion I'd make is that you want to get away from the I-95 corridor once you get to NC or VA. Catch 81 north into PA. The I-95 corridor (whether you're actually on I-95 or not) from DC area north to Boston is a freakin' nightmare, not fun. I take I-84 from eastern PA to I-90 (Mass. Pike) to I-495 which goes around Boston and dumps you back onto I-95 just shy of the New Hampshire border.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
I would be in but my plans are to take the long route to Maine via Sturgis and then thru Canada with Quicksand. Now the ride back will be a different story altogether so keep me in mind for the return trip.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Anyone up for a group ride from Texas? Jimmy Ray and I have been talking about a schedule and a route. I have a few ideas about meandering up the upper east coast to ensure I knock out the states on my list, but I can be flexible.

We had a great group ride from Vegas to St. George last year and Texas was well represented at SWIII. Who's up for a group ride and for topping the attendance by state again?
I would be in but my plans are to take the long route to Maine via Sturgis and then thru Canada with Quicksand. Now the ride back will be a different story altogether so keep me in mind for the return trip.
I had heard that this crazy guy on a bright a$$ yellow bike is doing a tour that will run up and through a museum, a zoo at a dealership and even through Canada where they are hosting the International Power Boat Races... I seem to have a link for it somewhere... OH! Here it is and it looks like jimmyray is signed up to go on it too! What a coinkydink.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=60321

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is anyone from Texas putting on a presentation for hosting SW5? I would definitely be up for that.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hi Scott, I show 6 members and a total of 12 people who are registered from Texas alone, so you shouldn't have a problem putting together a Gypsy Tour Southwest.

The only suggestion I'd make is that you want to get away from the I-95 corridor once you get to NC or VA. Catch 81 north into PA. The I-95 corridor (whether you're actually on I-95 or not) from DC area north to Boston is a freakin' nightmare, not fun. I take I-84 from eastern PA to I-90 (Mass. Pike) to I-495 which goes around Boston and dumps you back onto I-95 just shy of the New Hampshire border.

I unfortunately am not gonna make SW IV however if you do roll up I81N. Hit me up. 81 runs directly thru my town in south central PA along the PA/MD border.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Texas Attendance at SWIV

As of today, Texas has as many bikes attending as Maine. Just sayin'. ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
As of today, Texas has as many bikes attending as Maine. Just sayin'. ;)
Texas has a population of approximately 25.9 million compared to Maine's population of approximately 1.4 million.

Just saying Texas probably has 20 times the amount of R/G riders as compared to Maine....The odds lean that way, don't they ??

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Texas has a population of approximately 25.9 million compared to Maine's population of approximately 1.4 million.

Just saying Texas probably has 20 times the amount of R/G riders as compared to Maine....The odds lean that way, don't they ??
And we have to travel 20 times further to get there ;)

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I agree, but that doesn't explain Texas' participation compared to other closer states at SWIII which was in the west. I'm guessing Cali has more RGs than Texas.

I'm not knocking anyone here. I prefer that face-to-face. :cool: I was just stirring $hit with my post. Still, I'm surprised the east coast and New England in particular aren't better represented. I think we'll find in this and future SWs as we have in previous years that the same group of hardcore riders will ride anywhere to make the event.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think we'll find in this and future SWs as we have in previous years that the same group of hardcore riders will ride anywhere to make the event.
I whole heartily agree with this....Getting the time off for this isn't easy.
Not guaranteed I'll be able to stay for the whole week....
I'll be leaving 3 guys to maintain 50 miles of antiquated water pipes, and 2000 customers. I very seldom get a 2 day weekend without being called in....
It is what it is.....I ride when I can and work when I have to !!!

I would love to be able to take 2 weeks (or more) and just ride....that won't happen until I retire.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
I think we'll find in this and future SWs as we have in previous years that the same group of hardcore riders will ride anywhere to make the event.
This is very true!

We have 14 repeat offenders on the registration list for this year. Doesn't matter what the location.....we'll be there!!

Myself & Frankie (Kentucky)
hotrodad & the infamous Cyclops (Canada)
Dreamrider & Nat (Canada)
Hutmo (Pennsylvania)
Stray Mutt (California)
dmize (Ohio)
HOGWILD (North Carolina)
Rufus Barkley (New Jersey)
Quicksand (Kentucky)
FXD-Tim (Florida)
Old Nerd Guy (Missouri)

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Is the II and III repeaters list as large? I wasn't a member when the first one happened, but I haven't missed one since. Just curious how many made II and III that are booked for IV?

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
I don't have the list for SWI or II but last year we had 18 repeat offenders. SWII was a slightly higher. Im guessing we had close to 25.
This years total could go up because there are 3 folks who haven't committed yet.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I whole heartily agree with this....Getting the time off for this isn't easy. Not guaranteed I'll be able to stay for the whole week....

It's only been recently that I've realized how it's apparently so hard for some people to get time off work.

It's one advantage to having one of those dastardly union jobs, I say "I'm going on vacation from here to here", they say, have a nice time, see you when you get back. Right now I've got more than 10 wks I can take almost any time I want. Not very many reasons they can deny me.

I have however wondered if some of the issue is people with a feeling of self-importance, "'They can't get by without me for a week."
Sadly, many people don't realize just how replaceable they are.

Yes, I'll ride anywhere for SW, east coast, west coast, north, south, hot, cold, helmet states, non-carry states, foreign countries. If I can get there I'll be there. Location will be the last excuse, and lack of vacation will be the 2nd to last excuse.

·
Registered
169 Posts
subscribed

I,m watching this.I'm pulling out all markers and tricks I can come up with to go.who knows.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's only been recently that I've realized how it's apparently so hard for some people to get time off work.

It's one advantage to having one of those dastardly union jobs, I say "I'm going on vacation from here to here", they say, have a nice time, see you when you get back. Right now I've got more than 10 wks I can take almost any time I want. Not very many reasons they can deny me.

I have however wondered if some of the issue is people with a feeling of self-importance, "'They can't get by without me for a week."
Sadly, many people don't realize just how replaceable they are.

Yes, I'll ride anywhere for SW, east coast, west coast, north, south, hot, cold, helmet states, non-carry states, foreign countries. If I can get there I'll be there. Location will be the last excuse, and lack of vacation will be the 2nd to last excuse.
I was called back from a day ride to Laconia last week....Told them I would be 5 hours getting back and onto the job site. Arrived at work 4 in the afternoon and worked until past midnight. Non union work here....just a very small crew with minimal experience. Hardly any of our underground mapping system is on the computer. Being here for 27 years I know the system inside and out....the other 3 have been here for a total of 12 years between them.
Couple more years and they will have a better grasp of the system....

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I was called back from a day ride to Laconia last week....Told them I would be 5 hours getting back and onto the job site. Arrived at work 4 in the afternoon and worked until past midnight. Non union work here....just a very small crew with minimal experience. Hardly any of our underground mapping system is on the computer. Being here for 27 years I know the system inside and out....the other 3 have been here for a total of 12 years between them.
Couple more years and they will have a better grasp of the system....
With that experience, you need to retire and have them hire you as a consultant for around $300hr..... you'd be surprised at how many people do that. You dont work as many hours, but you definitely make up for it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 44 Posts