Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGS, 77 rigid shovel, 63 panshovel
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve looked at about every bar there is and it seems the only way I’m gonna get a narrower width with enough pullback for my short self is to go with T bars. There’s a few different setups I’ve been looking at, all of which involve a pullback plate like the kraus raptor.

Im pretty short at 5’6” with short arms. Stock bars on my 21 special are fine for pullback but less wrist angle and more height are mostly what I’m after, narrower width of t bars is an added benefit.

First setup I’m considering (and by far the most expensive) is the kraus pullback risers, raptor kickback plate and fly Moto bars. The guys at kraus seem to think that combination will give me the pullback I’m after but that’s a pile of money to spend without being sure. Not to mention most of the installs I see aren’t as clean as I’d like.

Second is the lucky Dave’s lucky 13 bar. I’d prefer a 1.5” thick bar with this style but their heavy hitter series dont have any pullback in the risers like the lucky 13s do. I’d have to use the raptor pullback plate which will add a bit more pullback but also some unwanted height (2”) as the lowest those bars come is 11”. 12” height is probably ideal for me but my buddies KST spearheads in 14” we’re fine just way too wide. I’ve asked them some questions but they’re not very good at answering anything specific so I don’t know if I’ll get the amount of pullback im after with this setup. Plus I’d have to figure out a gauge relocation if it bothered me which it probably would.

Lastly the speed kings PB (pullback) bars are a lot of the same story as the lucky 13s, I’d be using a raptor plate and the lowest height they come is the 12” so I’d be around 14” overall with the raptor plate. A gauge relocation would also be in order at some point.

Can anyone tell me which of these will have the most pullback? Or anything else that might be useful? Pictures are always welcome.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’ve looked at about every bar there is and it seems the only way I’m gonna get a narrower width with enough pullback for my short self is to go with T bars. There’s a few different setups I’ve been looking at, all of which involve a pullback plate like the kraus raptor.

Im pretty short at 5’6” with short arms. Stock bars on my 21 special are fine for pullback but less wrist angle and more height are mostly what I’m after, narrower width of t bars is an added benefit.

First setup I’m considering (and by far the most expensive) is the kraus pullback risers, raptor kickback plate and fly Moto bars. The guys at kraus seem to think that combination will give me the pullback I’m after but that’s a pile of money to spend without being sure. Not to mention most of the installs I see aren’t as clean as I’d like.

Second is the lucky Dave’s lucky 13 bar. I’d prefer a 1.5” thick bar with this style but their heavy hitter series dont have any pullback in the risers like the lucky 13s do. I’d have to use the raptor pullback plate which will add a bit more pullback but also some unwanted height (2”) as the lowest those bars come is 11”. 12” height is probably ideal for me but my buddies KST spearheads in 14” we’re fine just way too wide. I’ve asked them some questions but they’re not very good at answering anything specific so I don’t know if I’ll get the amount of pullback im after with this setup. Plus I’d have to figure out a gauge relocation if it bothered me which it probably would.

Lastly the speed kings PB (pullback) bars are a lot of the same story as the lucky 13s, I’d be using a raptor plate and the lowest height they come is the 12” so I’d be around 14” overall with the raptor plate. A gauge relocation would also be in order at some point.

Can anyone tell me which of these will have the most pullback? Or anything else that might be useful? Pictures are always welcome.
I've been looking at a couple of the options you're considering as well:

1. the Kraus setup - their isolated risers seem like the shiznit considering you likely will want to run solid bushings with almost all of these MX bar setups

2. At one point, I had a set of 14" Lucky Dave's Sevens in my possession. I will mention that the Lucky Dave's Heavy Hitter bars require their specific pullback plate, which per my calculations, added about 1.5" to the height of the bar. BUT, the height measurement that LD references is to the very top of the crosstube - i.e. the 14" HH Sevens I had measured approx 13.25" to the center of the grip, and after a very light dry-fit of the bars, they were lower than my Factory 47 14" signature bars, which I didn't like. As for pullback with the Lucky Dave's, I'd say it was fairly comparable to the Factory 47's, close enough that I wasn't reaching or hunched over.

While the Kraus setup is quite spendy, I also look at it like this - if you don't like the height, wrist angle, etc, you have a lot more adjustability with a Kraus style setup (bars & risers) for less expense after the fact. Kraus riser tubes are only about $80 if you want to raise/lower the bars, and there are countless options for MX-style bars for width, rise, and pullback.

Either way - you don't necessarily have to relocate your gauges, as you can just drill out the nacelle, but the downside to the Kraus style setup is you would lose lock & accessory function of your ignition switch. Personally, I guess I'm not going to be terribly bothered by that since it's highly likely I'll do a gauge relocation anyway, but some might be, so the primary choice to keep all ignition switch functions would be the Lucky Dave's HH series, as the O.C. of the upright tubes is 4.5" (allows full ignition switch functions)

You might also check out Westcoast T-bars, they have quite a bit of info on their site, and it's kind of a hybrid between lucky dave's and a bar/riser setup in that you don't need a pullback plate because of how the bars are made.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Check out Thrashin supply. They have a nice set up and it maintains visibility on both the gauge and screen. They have a pretty good video on YouTube

·
Registered
2013 RK to RG. 107" 577's Thundermax. S&S guts all over. worked heads. Walmart 2-1(Danmoto)
4 Posts
Check out @freedumbfab on instagram. Mike builds some amazing bars and crash bars. I have installed a few bars he has built and they are top notch. Get a custom pull back made without loosing sight of gauges i'm sure they are 30".
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Motorcycle

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking at a couple of the options you're considering as well:

1. the Kraus setup - their isolated risers seem like the shiznit considering you likely will want to run solid bushings with almost all of these MX bar setups

2. At one point, I had a set of 14" Lucky Dave's Sevens in my possession. I will mention that the Lucky Dave's Heavy Hitter bars require their specific pullback plate, which per my calculations, added about 1.5" to the height of the bar. BUT, the height measurement that LD references is to the very top of the crosstube - i.e. the 14" HH Sevens I had measured approx 13.25" to the center of the grip, and after a very light dry-fit of the bars, they were lower than my Factory 47 14" signature bars, which I didn't like. As for pullback with the Lucky Dave's, I'd say it was fairly comparable to the Factory 47's, close enough that I wasn't reaching or hunched over.

While the Kraus setup is quite spendy, I also look at it like this - if you don't like the height, wrist angle, etc, you have a lot more adjustability with a Kraus style setup (bars & risers) for less expense after the fact. Kraus riser tubes are only about $80 if you want to raise/lower the bars, and there are countless options for MX-style bars for width, rise, and pullback.

Either way - you don't necessarily have to relocate your gauges, as you can just drill out the nacelle, but the downside to the Kraus style setup is you would lose lock & accessory function of your ignition switch. Personally, I guess I'm not going to be terribly bothered by that since it's highly likely I'll do a gauge relocation anyway, but some might be, so the primary choice to keep all ignition switch functions would be the Lucky Dave's HH series, as the O.C. of the upright tubes is 4.5" (allows full ignition switch functions)

You might also check out Westcoast T-bars, they have quite a bit of info on their site, and it's kind of a hybrid between lucky dave's and a bar/riser setup in that you don't need a pullback plate because of how the bars are made.

Hope this helps.
I like the heavy hitters a lot but with neither of them having any kind of pullback other then the angle of the triple trees that’s just not the setup for me. I did ask about offering a heavy hitter in the lucky 13 style with some built in pullback and they said they’re working on it so that may be worth waiting for.

Yea from what I understand all the bars that would require a raptor style pullback plate lose switch lock and accessory, I can deal with that for the right set of bars.

I did look at west coast and they just didn’t have anything that did anything different then lucky Dave’s or speed kings. Why didn’t you run the 7s past a dry run?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out Thrashin supply. They have a nice set up and it maintains visibility on both the gauge and screen. They have a pretty good video on YouTube
I looked at em but mostly the riser setups, I’ll dig a little deeper to find what you’re taking about. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out @freedumbfab on instagram. Mike builds some amazing bars and crash bars. I have installed a few bars he has built and they are top notch. Get a custom pull back made without loosing sight of gauges i'm sure they are 30".
View attachment 432611
I’ll check em out thanks. Those are along the lines of vindikta bars, which I like the thought of but they don’t have any pullback built in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the heavy hitters a lot but with neither of them having any kind of pullback other then the angle of the triple trees that’s just not the setup for me. I did ask about offering a heavy hitter in the lucky 13 style with some built in pullback and they said they’re working on it so that may be worth waiting for.

Yea from what I understand all the bars that would require a raptor style pullback plate lose switch lock and accessory, I can deal with that for the right set of bars.

I did look at west coast and they just didn’t have anything that did anything different then lucky Dave’s or speed kings. Why didn’t you run the 7s past a dry run?
Once I got them mocked up, I just felt like they were too similar in look to the F47's I already had, the height was too low in combination with the width, just couldn't bring myself to put something on that wasn't the MX bar look/style, which is really what I'm going for, so I sent 'em back. plus, the lack of adjustability/customization started to creep into my mind as a potential issue down the road. I certainly like the 1.5" diameter look better than the 1.125" you get with riser/bar MX style setups, but it wasn't enough to overcome the other shortfalls IMO

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once I got them mocked up, I just felt like they were too similar in look to the F47's I already had, the height was too low in combination with the width, just couldn't bring myself to put something on that wasn't the MX bar look/style, which is really what I'm going for, so I sent 'em back. plus, the lack of adjustability/customization started to creep into my mind as a potential issue down the road. I certainly like the 1.5" diameter look better than the 1.125" you get with riser/bar MX style setups, but it wasn't enough to overcome the other shortfalls IMO
That’s fair. What did you decide on?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven’t gone in a final direction yet, but leaning very heavy toward the Kraus iso-riser setup w/fly or ODI moto bars
It seems like a great setup I just wish it was 100% complete for the money. Wiring and any kind of trim to cover the triple tree are completely up to you and that’s lame. I don’t want my bike down for a month when I get to a point and realize I want/need something additional during install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haven’t gone in a final direction yet, but leaning very heavy toward the Kraus iso-riser setup w/fly or ODI moto bars
I went with the Kraus and love it. I did take the raptor off as that was too much pull back, bought it with the thought its better to have it than don’t have it and need it lol. If you go Kraus PM and I will give you a deal on it. That should help a little on the $$.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with the Kraus and love it. I did take the raptor off as that was too much pull back, bought it with the thought its better to have it than don’t have it and need it lol. If you go Kraus PM and I will give you a deal on it. That should help a little on the $$.
Ill probably do that as it looks like any way I go I’ll need it. If you don’t mind me asking how tall are you? Which height/style riser did you go with? Pics would be sweet too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ill probably do that as it looks like any way I go I’ll need it. If you don’t mind me asking how tall are you? Which height/style riser did you go with? Pics would be sweet too
6’1” did the 12“ with the pull back riser and fly moto bars and the gauge relocation bezel. It was just too far back with the raptor. Took it off and went straight to the tree now it is perfect for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6’1” did the 12“ with the pull back riser and fly moto bars and the gauge relocation bezel. It was just too far back with the raptor. Took it off and went straight to the tree now it is perfect for me.
Not really comparable to my stature lol but it’s nice knowing at your height the raptor plate was too much. Gives me some hope. Sweet bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts

If you are trying to figure out the hight & Pullback that you want/need, go to the hardware store and get some PVC and build a set of bars. Thats what I did and works very well and its a cheap way to figure out what you want/need.
My .02 cents.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are trying to figure out the hight & Pullback that you want/need, go to the hardware store and get some PVC and build a set of bars. Thats what I did and works very well and its a cheap way to figure out what you want/need.
My .02 cents.
Around 12” and more pullback then anyone offers unless you go wide as hell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't have a great picture but here is my Thrashin setup. It's their high bend bar, roadglide adapter plate, 6.5" pull back risers. I think the total height was somewhere around 13" but you can reduce that by going with their mid bend or low bend bar. For what it's worth I'm 5'9" and I feel its very comfortable.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Fuel tank Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Reactions: chbush

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
111 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive design Automotive tire

I did the lucky daves 12" risers +2" riser spacer straight out of the Krause top tree with Zombie Performance Machete bars, no rise. It's a little forward but it great for diving into the corners. I originally did LA choppers 12" pullback risers with the raptor plate, was a little too close for me but it may be exactly what you are looking for.
My suggestion would be to use an offset plate on the bottom in combo with pullback risers and a bar that has some height in it so you can rotate the bars and fine tune the feel. I work in parts at a dealership, all the brands function pretty much the same way. buy the ones that look best to you... set it up for your style. I also highly recommend some kind of gauge relocation, the gauges are tough to see...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts