Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since wife went to Vegas....I flew to Nashville to meet up with a friend of mine to do a little riding... 3 days and over 800 miles.... my rental RGS really made me appreciate my RGS.....

Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon and Foothills..... What an epic weekend!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Definitely agree with JTB on the Dragon about being overrated. Rode it a few times when I lived in the Midwest about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
875 Posts
TOD over rated +1..surrounding area is great. We went last July 2014. Would return but TOD not the destination\reason, riding the local area would.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At speed... the Cherohala is a VERY nice ride... agreed. Being this was my first time on the TOD, I liked it and pushed myself to get THE RUSH. I had 4 rockets hold me up.... unreal.... I slowed down for a few minutes and started gettin' it again.... caught them in 35-45 seconds. LOL!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Me & a buddy rode out there a few years ago. It was a good time, but the Dragon was crowded. We got held up by 2 jackballs doing about 25 mph on Honda cruisers on one pass through it. Every time we'd go to pass, they'd speed up or move to the center of the road so we couldn't get by them. Some people are just dix.

Lil' Chief

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Love the area, glad I did the TOD, but totally agree every where else is better. Did it on my old bike, not the RGU yet. I have been told by several friends that the Moonshiner 28 is epic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dragon is a pain but you gotta do it at least once up and back down.

Wife and I have ridden it at least a dozen times makes a good cut thru to the Cherahola or over to the North Georgia Mountains as well.
Of course cut thru to Cherokee and grab a few miles of the Blue Ridge over to Asheville is a good route too. Nice pics both of you guys.

Headed back that way mid October if we can put it together.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is a great place to ride. We always go up and ride "Devils Triangle" in TN after riding "Tail of The Dragon"... Last year we found "Back of The Dragon"... It is Route 16 from Marion VA thru Welch WV, super twisty, white knuckle riding.>:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
That is a great place to ride. We always go up and ride "Devils Triangle" in TN after riding "Tail of The Dragon"... Last year we found "Back of The Dragon"... It is Route 16 from Marion VA thru Welch WV, super twisty, white knuckle riding.>:)
Just looked that area up, definitely adding to bucket list. Route 16 looks like a lot of fun

·
Registered
1 Posts
TOD - Good Times

Did it a few years back...had a good time on it. Loved how the motel catered to bikers...had buckets and such for washing bikes and more bike parking spaces than car. If any of you are ever out here in Colorado...we've got some spectacular rides.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Looks like you had fun. Buddy and I did it this past August and thought that it was over rated and crowded but glad we did it. There are some other rides in the area we really liked. We stopped by the visitors center in Maggie Valley and picked up a NC Smokies Motor Touring Guide. One of the rides is called "Most Challenging Roads" and it was a blast. Couple of areas were the road itself was not very well maintained but otherwise fantastic.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Hell, some of the best roads down there don't even have names (yet). Route 276 from Waynesville down to where it intersects with US 64 is a great ride also. The Diamondback, rts 226 and 226A up around Little Switzerland put the Dragon to shame. Just no photo dogs to make it famous.

·
Registered
976 Posts
What hotels do you recommend in the area? Plan on going up Oct 12th

If you're talking about hotels near the Dragon, check out Two Wheel Inn. I think its in Robbinsville. Nice little place that has garages attached to the rooms. Make reservations though.

Lil' Chief

·
Registered
542 Posts
What hotels do you recommend in the area? Plan on going up Oct 12th
Wife and I did that area in April. Devils Triangle.Moonshine 28.Cherehola. Blue ridge parkway. TOD. Back of Dragon. Bunch of others around that area. After Virginia we cut over to Ohio and got on some real twisty roads in the lower part of the state.
TOD was good to say we did it. Wouldn't put it on my list again. Back of Dragon is a winner.

Dragons Rest Cabins in outside of Robbinsville 1-828-479-4726

1 - 20 of 31 Posts