Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my outer fairing off of my 2009 today to wire up rear speakers, (the interconnect harness, 70169-06, is NOT required if you are not using HD speakers, and dont have the rear controls, btw...) and I got to thinking I might as well upgrade to the 2010 style headlamp bezel and lose the "bubble"...

I called the dealer, and parts guy says I have to replace everything! Bulbs, both headlamps, new bezel and some hardware to the tune of $200+

Really? Or can I use my existing headlamps with the newer bezel?

Also, is there a difference in the 2009 Screamin' Eagle bezel vs, the 2010 bezel?

I would love to hear from someone who has done the conversion, any pitfalls to watch out for and part numbers, if ya got em...

TIA
Dan

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had my outer fairing off of my 2009 today to wire up rear speakers, (the interconnect harness, 70169-06, is NOT required if you are not using HD speakers, and dont have the rear controls, btw...) and I got to thinking I might as well upgrade to the 2010 style headlamp bezel and lose the "bubble"...

I called the dealer, and parts guy says I have to replace everything! Bulbs, both headlamps, new bezel and some hardware to the tune of $200+

Really? Or can I use my existing headlamps with the newer bezel?

Also, is there a difference in the 2009 Screamin' Eagle bezel vs, the 2010 bezel?

I would love to hear from someone who has done the conversion, any pitfalls to watch out for and part numbers, if ya got em...

TIA
Dan

Dan the dealer is blowing smoke up your proverbial ass. Tons of RG owners, myself included, have changed to the bezel. Nothing else is needed. Pop the bubble off and snap the bezel in. Easy as that. The only thing you may need to do is adjust your headlights. I had mine adjusted at the dealer before I installed the bezel and it would not snap in because the bezel hit the headlight plate. Backed the screws out a few turns and all was good.

I will add this though. Install at your own risk and don't say you haven't been warned. The 09SERG and 2010 RG have hardened headlights lenses due to the fact that they are exposed. The stock 09 and earlier headlights are not meant to be exposed to the elements. But I have yet to hear of anyone having an issue with a cracked lens. If this truly worries you, you could...

A. Go ahead and buy the headlights with the hardened lenses.
B. Buy some 3M protective film to put over the lenses.

or you could do what most of us are doing and wait for the day that (may never come) we may get a crack or chip and buy the hardened lenses then.

Oh and the difference between the bezels is the 09 SERG bezel is glossy black and the 2010 FLTRX is matte black. The flat black is substantially cheaper but the glossy black look so much better.

2009 SERG bezel gloss black 69987-09
2010 FLTRX bezel matte black 73250-10
Hardened bulb assembly 73242-09

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, I suspected this was probably the case, but wasn't sure if perhaps the headlamp size, shape or something had changed slightly with the new bezel...

However, this is the same parts guy that told me it was physically impossible to install a Street Glide/FLTRX rear tri-bar fascia on my bike too. I had it installed in under two hours, including the stud plates and wiring...:rolleyes:

I checked the bezel price at Chicago H.D. Gloss $35.16, Matte $6.60...

Hellava difference from $200+

·
Registered
505 Posts
I also have a 09 FLTR, I ordered the Screaming Eagle insert from Chicago H-D and got a 20% discount, popped the bubble off and installed the insert. Looks way better and the only thing I had to do was adjust the headlamps a little, just make sure it snaps into place really good and the socket to adjust the lamps is a 5.5 metric just as a FYI. Go 4 it!!!!!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking I may get the matte black bezel and have it painted to match, black pearl. I have the lowers off of my 03 on it now, and they are going to the painter shortly anyway...

Might look kinda cool color matched...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
FLTR i had mine painted black pearl as well. it looks great! Also had the inside of the lowers done to match as well as the tank dash and fuel door. problem is it was WAY too easy to just keep putting things in the 'paint' pile and now its time to pay the painter:eek:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ya know, I would have thought that would look a little over the top, but it doesn't. Kinda reminds me of the 50's-60's era cars, a lot of them had chrome headlight surrounds.

Very nice...
Thank you!

That is exactly what I was thinking. At that time I was looking at quite a few hot rods, muscle cars and old school bobbers/choppers and was thinking that the chrome might look nice on the Copper pearl color in a retro, "Moon Eyes" sort of way....Plus I already had those Monster Oval mufflers that look like 50's-60's Jet Inspired Stying, and was adding the fork bells that are inspired by the old school ribbed rubber covers....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got my new gloss black bezel from Zanotti's in the mail, removal of clear lens and installation of new bezel took a good 5 minutes. Used stout putty knife wrapped in a shop towel. Major improvement in the looks of the bike. I too am risking the OEM headlights. Will let you all know if this was a mistake.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Got my new gloss black bezel from Zanotti's in the mail, removal of clear lens and installation of new bezel took a good 5 minutes. Used stout putty knife wrapped in a shop towel. Major improvement in the looks of the bike. I too am risking the OEM headlights. Will let you all know if this was a mistake.

I'm at 16,500 miles now with the bubble gone, and my head lights are still i perfect condition. I don't think anyone has reported breakage yet......

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Guys,

Well, I picked up the matte black bezel at the dealer, and I had a hell of a time with it. There was no way it would fit easily, the bottom hit the headlight housing. I pulled the fairing and cranked the headlight assembly way back, and finally got it to fit. It looked crappy though, left a 1/2" gap or better front to back....

We left for a 3 day ride after I got it in, so I didn't have time to mess with it. Once I got home, I pulled it all apart and ground down the headlight housing assembly until I could move it forward. It looks better, but I'm still not happy with it. (Don't like the idea that I weakened the housing assembly.)

I think I'll head back down to the parts gal and see what the 2010 headlight housing looks like. I assume it is already beveled at the bottom to fit a bit better.

Anyone else have this problem??? :confused:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts