Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought that I could be so uncomfortable on a 2015 RGS.
When I first took a test ride, i felt like I was in a Chevette with the seat pushed all the way forward! (I'm 6'5").
I moved the floor boards out and forward an inch and at the same time I installed 2" longer shift lever and brake pedal. That made a big difference but i still needed to move back more!
Bought a Tall Boy seat because it got favorable reviews. Not from me! Moved me back but terribly uncomfortable. it has a tendency to roll me forward where I don't want to be. 150 mile ride the other day was painful!
Local seat guy said that he could modify it for me but can't get to it till October!
Tried a Hammock from HD. It seemed like it might be comfortable but again, I was too close to the tank.
Today I ordered a Mustang Super Touring seat. 10 percent discount, free shipping , and a 10 day trial period. Not bad.
Wish me luck. If this doesn't work, I'm gonna sell the bike and look for an FXRT!
WF

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might consider sending it to Astech Seats and telling them what you need (height, move forward/backward, etc.) They do excellent work and return the seat fast.
I spoke to a couple of seat rebuilders that were recommended on this site but they tell me that due to the design of the seat pan on the stock seat and the Tall Boy there is not much that they can do to move me back.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The stock seat on an RGS is designed for someone 5'10" inches tall and 180lbs.

I have ridden a few hundred miles on the 15 RGS seat and I can say that I am not a fan of the stock seat either. I am 6'0" and 260lbs. When braking hard on the 15 RGS I found myself sliding up the tank, compounding the pressure on the anatomy that then caused me to brake harder to try and lift myself off of the tank, catch 22.

The back support of the stock seat is nonexistant as well. I am used to riding with a rider backrest, it was sorely missed on the stock seat.

At 6'5" inches tall you are going to have an exhaustive search to find a seat that fits you right. A stock rider backrest is most likely out of the question as well. There area couple other riders on this forum that have been blessed (or cursed) with your height. Hopefully they will come forward with their experiences.

You might want to find a seat maker that can custom make a seat pan to your dimensions given the available room on the bike. In most cases i think this would cause you to be elevated more from the stock height and moved back 2-3 inches depending on the length of your inseam. They should be able to also fit a rider backrest into their seat configuration. It will certainly make your long distance riding much more comfortable.

The seat for you is out there....good luck in finding a solution fast that fits you right the first time without spending more 600-800$.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There a number of posts regarding seats for tall guys. It seems that no matter what seat is mentioned, some guys guys love it while others hate it.
I have now spent over a thousand dollars to fit myself to this bike! I'm dead serious about finding an FXR. I wish that I kept mine. Best handling, most comfortable bike for me. Someone may be getting a great deal on a very low mileage 2015 RGS soon!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Man that sucks that you have spent that much money already and still cannot find comfort in the saddle.

Better to go with what you know fits you than be miserable all the time because of discomfort.

Calgaryglide

Check out this article, no baggers mentioned in it for taller folks, interesting reading.

http://www.motorcycle.com/top10/top-10-best-cruisers-for-tall-people.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am 6'4 and I bought the mustang super wide vintage touring solo seat with integrated backrest. It moves you back 1.5 inches and is very comfortable. I have 3500 miles on it and love it. Stock seat was only used to get the bike home.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lepera Daddy Long Legs will sit you back 2 in and down an inch! Make sure you get padding installed! I'm 6'2" with 14 Buky Malos on my scoot and this seat is perfect AFTER i added the padding! I may take the tall boy off your hands if I can get a good deal!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
6' 5" 275# Russell Daylong saddle on 2013 RGU and on previous bike, 2006 Electra glide ultra. They build on stock seat pan to fit your body. Regularly do 5-700 mile days. Not the prettiest seat out there but the most comfortable I've ever found. Not the cheapest either, but .......
Check the reviews on their website.
Good Luck, Texas Chuck

·
Registered
692 Posts
I am 6'4 and I bought the mustang super wide vintage touring solo seat with integrated backrest. It moves you back 1.5 inches and is very comfortable. I have 3500 miles on it and love it. Stock seat was only used to get the bike home.

+1 on the Mustang ... Im 6'4" with a 38" inseam. Pretty much all legs.
I have had the Mustang wide vintage solo on my last two bikes. Was the first thing I ordered the day I brought my '13 RGC home. I have the one with a removable back rest but find myself not using it that much because I can push myself further back in the seat without it.
Still, it doesn't sit me back enough to get my thighs level ( knees are still elevated ) but it is really comfortable ... At least for me.
Good luck in your search.
LD

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I thought that I had ordered the Mustang Super Touring seat but the UPS man brought me a box that seemed too small for that type of seat. Inside was a solo seat with back rest. ????
Rather than make a phone call and start bitching.....I put it on the bike. I have a 10 day trial period so what the heck. It looked as though it might put me back at least an inch.
After a lengthy ride I found that I really like this seat! It has a much better feel than the Harley Tall Boy seat. I think that I'm gonna keep it!
WF

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I thought that I had ordered the Mustang Super Touring seat but the UPS man brought me a box that seemed too small for that type of seat. Inside was a solo seat with back rest. ????
Rather than make a phone call and start bitching.....I put it on the bike. I have a 10 day trial period so what the heck. It looked as though it might put me back at least an inch.
After a lengthy ride I found that I really like this seat! It has a much better feel than the Harley Tall Boy seat. I think that I'm gonna keep it!
WF

that is the seat I use as well. I am 6'4" and it puts me in a perfect position. Mustang sells a passenger pillion for it too. VERY comfortable seat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry to go off topic here, but what kit or method did you use to relocate your foot boards?

I've been contemplating using a combination of the HD Extended Reach Rider Foot Board which would move them forward one inch:

Harley-Davidson Extended Reach Rider Foot Board Pans - Swept Wing Shape

Along with the Kuryakyn Relocator Bracket that would move them out one inch and forward one inch:

Kuryakyn Relocator Bracket for Driver Floorboards

I figure one inch out and two inches forward total should make for a nice and noticeable difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry to go off topic here, but what kit or method did you use to relocate your foot boards?

I've been contemplating using a combination of the HD Extended Reach Rider Foot Board which would move them forward one inch:

Harley-Davidson Extended Reach Rider Foot Board Pans - Swept Wing Shape

Along with the Kuryakyn Relocator Bracket that would move them out one inch and forward one inch:

Kuryakyn Relocator Bracket for Driver Floorboards

I figure one inch out and two inches forward total should make for a nice and noticeable difference.
I used the Kuryakyn relocator brackets (1" out and 1" forward) along with 2" extended Soft Brake shift lever and brake lever . The brake pedal pad is by Kuryakyn. I am strongly considering the angled floor board brackets as they should give me better activation of the brake pedal. Right now I have to push down which feels wrong.
WF

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used the Kuryakyn relocator brackets (1" out and 1" forward) along with 2" extended Soft Brake shift lever and brake lever . The brake pedal pad is by Kuryakyn. I am strongly considering the angled floor board brackets as they should give me better activation of the brake pedal. Right now I have to push down which feels wrong.
WF
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
just got home from a 2300 mile round trip with my Vintage wide solo mustang seat. I can say with some authority, this thing rocks! I did one 15 hour day and a 13 hour day with two 10 hour days thrown in for good measure. I was comfortable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.