Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
SIAP. How tall of bars and what Brands can I go with and not have to replace my cables? Just bought a new '18 RG Special.

Thanks!

On my 2017 roadglide special I put 14 inch factory47 bars on mine,
Factory47 has done 16 inch bars by rerouting the cables and adding extension to wires.
With my 14’s my wires was barely long enough.cables were fine.
I don’t think I would want to go above 14’s myself,I would worry the cables might pull the bars one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
14" seems to be the rule. Some bars are wider. You will need to cut a couple of zip ties.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have Khrome Werks 12 inch Fat Ape Hangers and heated grips on my '13 RGU and these test the length of clutch constantly when in "U-Turn and Parking Mode". I can't imagine anything taller.
I am going to change at least the clutch cable to a longer one soon, I have about 5k on the bars with the OEM cables and they make me nervous.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Cut some zip ties and 14's fit. Some have gone taller but I wouldn't chance it. I myself prefer the look of 12's the best of on a RG.
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have Factory 47 16" Signature bars. I had to add the wire extensions but rerouting the cables was way easier than I thought it would be and I haven't had any issues with them at all. I have over 8000 miles on the bike since the mod.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What brand of bars are those? That is the style I want.
Thanks!
Those are Factory 47 (12"). Fit me perfect and look great. I didn't want anything that was sticking up way past the windscreen. Here are a couple of different angles.
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just put 14” KlockWerks Pullback Kliphangers on my 17 RGU; wires were long enough and I was able to stretch the clutch and brake lines enough for them to work fine. I wouldn’t recommend going any taller without extensions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
SIAP. How tall of bars and what Brands can I go with and not have to replace my cables? Just bought a new '18 RG Special.

Thanks!
The question should be: What bars would be the most comfortable and what do I need to buy? I would think it would be silly to be less comfortable than you otherwise would be just in order to save a few $.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have Yaffe 14 in. OEM Monkey Bars.I got a kit got Wire Extensions An Cables Every Thing Fit with ease.Make sure you get tall enough to begin with.I am 5-11 had 12s on my previous bike always wish I had gone with 14s,I did this time very comfortable an looks good matches my Sissy Bar,Went with 14 in. windshield way less wind.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
14" seems to be the rule. Some bars are wider. You will need to cut a couple of zip ties.
I had 13" LA Choppers Twin Peak Apes and all of the stock lines and wiring worked perfectly

I would say it's safe to purchase 13" to 14" apes without having to replace anything

My issue was I really liked the 13" apes but wished I would have pulled the trigger on 16" apes

When I did my swap out to 16" apes, I replaced with steel braided lines and wire extensions

Good Luck

Swomack

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The question should be: What bars would be the most comfortable and what do I need to buy? I would think it would be silly to be less comfortable than you otherwise would be just in order to save a few $.
My issue was I really liked the 13" apes but wished I would have pulled the trigger on 16" apes. When I did my swap out to 16" apes, I replaced with steel braided lines and wire extensions
This is what I mean.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have Factory 47 16" Signature bars. I had to add the wire extensions but rerouting the cables was way easier than I thought it would be and I haven't had any issues with them at all. I have over 8000 miles on the bike since the mod.
Nutt, care to expand on the cable rerouting? I'd love to put 16" bars on my upcoming 2018 RGS, but I'm not really keen on having to extend hydraulic lines just yet.

Thanks.

Wev

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wev,

I will do you some better, here are the videos that I got from F47 when I talked with the customer service there. (Which was AMAZING through this process!!). These should tell you exactly what you need to do. If you need pictures or more info and I can post exactly what I did. I just followed this video and it worked out pretty easy. Especially since taking the tank off is so damn simple on these new bikes!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nRthn_-q8

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info, I hope this helps!!

Nutt

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wev,

I will do you some better, here are the videos that I got from F47 when I talked with the customer service there. (Which was AMAZING through this process!!). These should tell you exactly what you need to do. If you need pictures or more info and I can post exactly what I did. I just followed this video and it worked out pretty easy. Especially since taking the tank off is so damn simple on these new bikes!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nRthn_-q8

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info, I hope this helps!!

Nutt
Great & thanks for the info. So there wasn't a need to extend the TBW wires? on the 16" bar install?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great & thanks for the info. So there wasn't a need to extend the TBW wires? on the 16" bar install?
You have to extend the wires....you do not have to extend the cables (This is for the 16" F47 Signature bars). The wire extension kit from F47 was $30 and is plug and play, running the wires through the F47 bars was the easiest I have ever had to do and I have done a few. Especially since HD got rid of the nasty green connector for the TBW and now its just a small plug that is at the end of the wires.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this info helps out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts