Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I road for quite a while yesterday wanting to empty the gas that I had filled up with in early January. I did take the bike out several times during the winter. Anyway, for the first time the fuel light came on. I rode about 10-15 miles more and then low mileage indicator showed up on the dash. Reserve eventually went down to 10 miles. I was in a panic, not knowing how accurate this was. I was able to make it to the Shell station with 9 miles reading in reserve. I then filled up the tank and it took 5.55 gallons. Is that about right? Looks, like I might of had 15-20 miles left. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,082 Posts
The gauge isn't completely accurate, but you put 5.5 gallons in, and I'm willing to bet if you had a cup and stood the bike upright, you could possibly squeeze some more fuel in. I'd be satisfied if it were me, it's really close.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes it's darn close. I have a 2014 CVO Road King and a 2015 Road Glide Special. Both will show 15 or 20 mile range until empty, gauges on E and the gas pump light on, when I fill them up takes 4.6 to 4.8 gallons.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
You're pretty good with 5.5 gals. Dbell is right and Ive done it, if you stand the bike straight up you'll probably be able to squeeze in some more but then you'll run the risk of spilling gas all over the tank. I've run it to near complete emptiness where the distance to empty goes blank with only lines on it. That's when I get worried

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. When I fill her up to the brim, while on the side stand, I get 232 miles showing in reserve. Is that the max?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Thanks guys. When I fill her up to the brim, while on the side stand, I get 232 miles showing in reserve. Is that the max?

The remaining estimate is the computer GUESSING how far you can ride, based on how you were riding before the fill up.

Ride like you are outrunning your ex-wife and the number is going to be low.

Ride like a geezer, and that number goes way up. Nobody seems to believe that I get 50 mpg on a regular basis.

Case in point.......................................... This is if my wife is with me on her Road Glide. If I'm alone, my mpg's go way down (I twist the throttle harder)

·
Registered
457 Posts
My 2010 fuel gauge works the same as yours; found this out on the way to Laughlin last week. I had more left in the tank then indicated.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have found that when my low fuel light comes on the trip meter goes from whatever mileage it was reading to miles remaining. Consistently it starts counting down at the mid sixties then goes down at a rate only it understands! For example I can ride at 75 mph when it comes on and in two miles it can go from 68 to 35 miles remaining. when it gets down to 10 miles remaining it flips over to read "low" and I start looking for a station 'cause I know I've only got about half a gallon remaining. typically when I fill it up it takes 5.5-5.75 gallons, but I top it off by filling it until the pump stops, shake the bike top it off again and repeat 2 or 3 times. That way I know how much fuel I put in each time and so far I've consistently filled up with the same amount every time.

Just know that I only do this if I'm riding in a familiar area and know I'm not too far from a gas station, If I'm on the road I always top off wen I have a 1/4 tank left.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've had bikes (and still do) with no gas indicator. My 96 Fatboy has 2 tanks and no fuel level indicator. I learned to keep track of my actual miles. I know approximately how many MPG I get on the highway and in the city. It's a great way of keeping tack. You just need to remember to reset your odometer every time you fill up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ive rode on LOW for about 20 miles, and had to put in 6.1 gallons in my tank.
And if the bike dies because of low fuel, shut the bike off and then turn the bike back on and it will get ya a little further down the road.
how do you get 6.1 gallons in a 6 gallon tank?

·
Registered
852 Posts
If its dry and you fill it up into the neck. I ran out on I-10 had to rock the bike back and forth to get it to pick up and restart. Made it to the station and they had a good slow pump. I rocked the bike to get the bubbles out and put in 6.1. That or.... the station is not calibrated and ripping people off. :)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
how do you get 6.1 gallons in a 6 gallon tank?
I guess cause i had damn near ran the fuel lines dry! i believe i had 286 miles on that tank, running 80-90 mph.
If its dry and you fill it up into the neck. I ran out on I-10 had to rock the bike back and forth to get it to pick up and restart. Made it to the station and they had a good slow pump. I rocked the bike to get the bubbles out and put in 6.1. That or.... the station is not calibrated and ripping people off. :)
Yeah, i hate how fuel sprays up when pumping gas on this bike, and how you have to slowly add fuel when nearing full.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The remaining estimate is the computer GUESSING how far you can ride, based on how you were riding before the fill up.

Ride like you are outrunning your ex-wife and the number is going to be low.

Ride like a geezer, and that number goes way up. Nobody seems to believe that I get 50 mpg on a regular basis.

Case in point.......................................... This is if my wife is with me on her Road Glide. If I'm alone, my mpg's go way down (I twist the throttle harder)

Thanks for all the responses. Wow, 306 miles on reserve! I will never see that. I have the SE Performance tuner, Freedom Racing True Duals and SE Chisel Extreme Air Cleaner. I'm also hard on the throttle, except for the highway, where I keep her at 65 to 70 mph.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Whatever you do, do not trust the fuel gauge or distance to empty reading. The gauge isn't very accurate and the distance to empty is basically an estimate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do, thanks

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It's a rare circumstance when I don't stop around 200 miles or so to stretch, take in & let out fluids. Often times, sooner.
And if I'm stopping I figure I'll just top off the tank.
Given that, I hardly ever concern myself with getting every drop possible into the tank. Why bother?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts