Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 RG with TBW. I was 150 miles from home when i went to start my bike after a 30 minute stop and it started right up but when i went to use the throttle NOTHING! all the bike did was idle. Before i decided to s___t myself i shut the bike off and started it again and the throttle worked correctly. No problems on the way home. I had changed my handlebars and did the internal wiring thing the day before and i was wondering if i might have done something like pulled a wire loose. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Check to see if any codes were thrown on the odometer read-out. Clear the codes and see if anything new pops back up. Sometimes a code will pop up about the throttle position sensor when it is unplugged (mainly if you did not disconnect the battery prior to installation). Just something to check, it may or may not have caused your problem.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
From what I have heard, his is a common problem, and my bike trip last weekend it did it to me 6 times in 1500 miles.
When we were sitting along side the road, I called my dealer, a buddy called his dealer. They both had us run through the diagnostic check with the odometer reset button, and cleared the codes. It still would only stay in the limp home mode. We gave up, and called the nearest HD dealer that was 30 miles away from us. They told me to smack the end of the grip and try again. It worked and ran fine for another few hundred miles. Sometimes I would just shut the bike off, start it and it would be fine again.

They tell me it happens alot, but this winter Im tearing into mine and replacing the TBW assembly in the handlebars. Im also going to eliminate the plug thats inside the bars and hard wire it directly under the fairing. This is a bug with the TBW, and I guess there isn't enough uproar yet from HD owners that the MOCO wants to deal with it. It is a problem, and needs to be corrected because going 75 mph down the interstate, and you lose all power,.... is not safe.

If I seem to find out the cure, I will share, but I have yet to find one and your not the only one its happening to.
Oh, and 1 other guy on the trip had it happen to him as well. He rides a 2010 Ultra Limited.

·
Registered
347 Posts
From what I have heard, his is a common problem, and my bike trip last weekend it did it to me 6 times in 1500 miles.
When we were sitting along side the road, I called my dealer, a buddy called his dealer. They both had us run through the diagnostic check with the odometer reset button, and cleared the codes. It still would only stay in the limp home mode. We gave up, and called the nearest HD dealer that was 30 miles away from us. They told me to smack the end of the grip and try again. It worked and ran fine for another few hundred miles. Sometimes I would just shut the bike off, start it and it would be fine again.

They tell me it happens alot, but this winter Im tearing into mine and replacing the TBW assembly in the handlebars. Im also going to eliminate the plug thats inside the bars and hard wire it directly under the fairing. This is a bug with the TBW, and I guess there isn't enough uproar yet from HD owners that the MOCO wants to deal with it. It is a problem, and needs to be corrected because going 75 mph down the interstate, and you lose all power,.... is not safe.

If I seem to find out the cure, I will share, but I have yet to find one and your not the only one its happening to.
Oh, and 1 other guy on the trip had it happen to him as well. He rides a 2010 Ultra Limited.
I call BS on the dealers for telling you it is common. They need to fix that for you. I have now had three TBW bikes and my wife has 10k miles on her 2010 SG and I have never experienced that issue. Something is wrong.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Remove the connector at the throttle body for the FBW. If you plug it off/on about 5 times it will wipe the connection clean if that is what it is. If that helps clean it good and use a small amount of dielectric grease on it to keep any moisture out.
I have heard a lot of problems on other forums about this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good suggestions

Thx for the help Folks. I'll try your suggestions. It really pisses me off the Harley can't get their act together. Guess i'm gonna take the faring off again and check all the connections and wires. Thats ok cause i bought the bike to take it apart not ride it! Thx again for the help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thx for the help Folks. I'll try your suggestions. It really pisses me off the Harley can't get their act together. Guess i'm gonna take the faring off again and check all the connections and wires. Thats ok cause i bought the bike to take it apart not ride it! Thx again for the help.
I would not start blaming HD so soon, you did say YOU changed the bars and did internal wiring. I have internal wiring and have done it several times on other bikes and in my opinion, it is just a problem waiting to happen. There is a lot of pulling going on during installation that was never intended.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Mine did it again today on the way to the gas station. After I left there, I rode 30 miles to my dealer and talked with the mechanic and parts manager.

A new one is on the way, covered under warrenty. They have replaced 3 thus far,.. the 3 before me were all on stock handlebars that had never been removed or tampered with.

This time around, Im soldering mine and only leaving the 1 connection inside the fairing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Happened to me too. Had to limp home from NH. Turned a 2 hour ride into 4 because of the starting and stopping. The dealer replaced it and it's been fine ever since. There should be a re call on the tbw but you know how that goes.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
The very first time I had like 3500 mile I think. My friends that did it on the trip we took a couple of weeks ago is still under 1000 miles.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine happened around 1500 to 2000.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Not sure never heard that one before. I had to pull the bike over shut it down and clear the codes. That would get me going for a bit until it happened again. The dealer told me that there was a short in one of the wires. Since it was intermitant it was a struggle to get them to open the bike up. I told them to keep the bike and ride it until it happed again. It final did and they fixed it. Going to be changing out my bars to the oem yaffe's in a few weeks. I'm going to buy the one piece set up or sodder the one I have.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
So....does whacking the end of the grip usually get you home?
Sometimes just shutting off my bike, and restarting it works. Sometimes I have to wack the end of it, disconnect it at the intake manifold behind the air cleaner as well. Sometimes just cussing and threatening to trade it in helps. I found that clearing the codes doesn't fix it in my experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 more time

I'm going to rewire my bars asap. Like roadie09 said, maybe i pulled too hard on the wires the first time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well, I stand corrected. Looks like several people had issues. Either way, it has to come back apart to be replaced. It would be nice to know exactly why the TBW units are not working. These issues appear to be on fairly low mileage bikes, not like the units are worn out.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Im not sure if anyone knows why its happening. Every dealer I have talked to on it (up to 5 now) have said they just replace it. Everyone is like you said, low mileage and usually under warrenty. Every dealer I've talked to said anywhere from 3-7 or 8 bikes its happened to.

It is dangerous, and it is something that needs to be fixed or recalled. To me, this is 100 times more important then the stupid gas tank recall they had last year.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Can you say "Toyota"?

They are facing lawsuits now with that braking issue. You would think these other manufacturers would catch on!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts