Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any known issues with the TBW on 2009 CVO Road Glides.
My buddy has had his bike in 2 or 3 times to the shop because the TBW or something is failing.
Just last week, he left his house and a block away he had no throttle. He pulled over, turned the bike off, and restarted it, and was able to idle his bike home. His bike has been in the shop for a week, and no answer about what is happening. About 5,000 miles ago he switched to the 58mm throttle body, but the same thing happened with the smaller throttle body.
It comes and goes. Any advice?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any known issues with the TBW on 2009 CVO Road Glides.
My buddy has had his bike in 2 or 3 times to the shop because the TBW or something is failing.
Just last week, he left his house and a block away he had no throttle. He pulled over, turned the bike off, and restarted it, and was able to idle his bike home. His bike has been in the shop for a week, and no answer about what is happening. About 5,000 miles ago he switched to the 58mm throttle body, but the same thing happened with the smaller throttle body.
It comes and goes. Any advice?
I can't believe it, I have been hesitating posting about this issue because I didn't want to sound retarded. Oh well, I guess you all already could see that part! :) I was on my way to the shop two Sundays ago to replace a turn signal lense that had lost a lug and fell off. I was about 20 miles from the house and my bike went from cruising at 60 MPH to idle for no apparent reason. I limped it to the side of the road. I called home to get the dealer's phone number and discovered that I had left my fob at the house. Hell, I didn't think I could get 20 feet from the security fob! Turns out, you can leave it at home, but if you turn it off you can't restart it. Ok, so there is the evidence you need to figure I am retarded. You can override the system so you can restart the thing if you forget your security fob, check the owner's manual.
Anyway, I took the 2009 Roadglide to the dealer that afternoon, and don't you know it worked fine when I took it off the trailer! I left it for them to give it a good once over. Their answer to me was this-they replaced the dielectric solution in the plug for the ECM. They really wanted to blame it on the FuelPak I have installed, but said they did the dielectric and it worked okay. I now have my fingers crossed that everything is okay now. It almost makes sense though, I tend to pressure wash that area and blow it dry with a "Blaster" type blower when I clean it good. So maybe I had dried that area out and the connection wasn't as good. It may have been in my mind, but it almost seems like my throttle response is much better now as well.
Check that out though, it may help. The dealer said that is the protocol for the first thing to check.

For the record, my bike had about 11400 miles on it when this happened.

David

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit confused by your response, but what i gathered from it is:

Change/add new dielectric grease on the connectors of the ECM and fuel injection module, as that is protocol for the first thing the dealer checks when someone has lack of throttle or no throttle response. is that correct?

·
Registered
168 Posts

Change/add new dielectric grease on the connectors of the ECM and fuel injection module, as that is protocol for the first thing the dealer checks when someone has lack of throttle or no throttle response. is that correct?
Yes, same thing happened to mine 2010 FLTRX @ 5000+ miles the throttle intermittently would go dead pull over and cycle the ignition and away it would go all day.

Took it to the dealer with three codes pulled from odometer and all they did was re-pack the ECM with dielectric, cleared the codes and sent me on my way. I went for a 1500 mile rt to Colorado without any problems but no rain or wash yet, we'll see I guess.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What exhaust and, efi tuner do you have tunafish?
Dresser Duals W Rinehart slip ons and just the download. I plan to use the PC-5 and auto tune with wideband O2 sensors when I do the head work and cams next month.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dresser Duals W Rinehart slip ons and just the download. I plan to use the PC-5 and auto tune with wideband O2 sensors when I do the head work and cams next month.
Ok , so no tuner, just the stock ECM. Thanks for the info... hope it continues to work for ya.

·
Registered
720 Posts

That is how it was explained to me. I am not really all that good on that electric stuff, but yes that is what they said they did. I guess I might need to have some of that dielectric grease handy from now on?
Also looks like your friend and I are not the only ones to have had this problem.
I hope this helps you.

David

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update on 09 SERG

The shop finally called my friend about his bike stalling/ cutting out, etc. and they determined the stock ECM needs replaced. Which will take a week or so to get in, but they are gonna loan him an Ultra in the meantime since he is their best customer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The shop finally called my friend about his bike stalling/ cutting out, etc. and they determined the stock ECM needs replaced. Which will take a week or so to get in, but they are gonna loan him an Ultra in the meantime since he is their best customer.
That is good he gets a loaner. When the tech was telling me about the ECM replacement he said they had two back ordered for at least a month! Hard to figure that Harley would be that far behind a on a part that critical? I would NOT be happy if that happened to me; best customer or not. We should all be "best" customers.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I love this forum!!! I just found out I need some dielectric grease thanks to you guys.

I was out cruising this afternoon on a short 180 mile beer run (there is plenty in the fridge, just needed an excuse to put some miles on this afternoon)
Anyhow, I had the cruise set at 70, and coming up on a car. I went to pass, and just rolled the throttle back keeping it in 6th gear. As soon as I twisted the throttle, my engine light came on and the bike would only idle no matter how much I twisted the grip. I pulled over along side the road and shut the bike off. Right away, I knew it somehow put itself in the limp home mode and I was ready to call an HD tech for him to get it back going. I thought I would see what happens if I messed with it first.
I turned it back on, and everything was fine, and it was fine for the rest of the trip. It kind of spooked me,.. good thing there was no one behind me when the bike fell on its face. My first thought was the tuner I just put on,.. but as someone told me on that post that I needed to get some grease, now I know they weren't just jerking my chain. (ha-ha.. get it)
Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts