Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very good friend of mine has a 103 in a street glide.
He has done the 222's, from fueling moto. the kit with pushrods etc. along with the extreme true dual reinharts and se intake. They made him a custom map based on all the parts, location in the country etc. In 2nd/3rd/4th at down shift to one of those gears, hold the gear and go wide open its almost like it falls flat on its face before it ever picks up. Once above about 3100-3300 it comes alive.
I thought these were low end cams?
should he go ahead and get a custom tune done on a dyno?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
That would be my choice. You would get the best results that way if you have a good tuner to take it to. Something not quite right with the map and you could try contacting Fuel Moto to see if they could adjust it and send you a new map.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe he called today asking and they are willing to look it over with no promises. I think a full tune is prob in order just seems like a lot for so little of parts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would tend to agree

you guys are right. he is just hung up on the fact that fueling moto told him they could make a e-tune with what little work he has done and there wasn't any real need..

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
you guys are right. he is just hung up on the fact that fueling moto told him they could make a e-tune with what little work he has done and there wasn't any real need..
In their defense, maybe it has worked in the past - In my experience, "loaded maps" are hit or miss - I have had just as many fail as I have had them take - You know Supermoto Bro, ask anyone who runs a tuned KTM LC4 how their mapping went...........I also had issues with my V&H FP3 on my StreetBob but that is another story

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I believe he called today asking and they are willing to look it over with no promises. I think a full tune is prob in order just seems like a lot for so little of parts.
It's money well spent. I had my street glide dyno tuned. Only did pipes and air cleaner. With cams to me it's a must. Not a maybe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In their defense, maybe it has worked in the past - In my experience, "loaded maps" are hit or miss - I have had just as many fail as I have had them take - You know Supermoto Bro, ask anyone who runs a tuned KTM LC4 how their mapping went...........I also had issues with my V&H FP3 on my StreetBob but that is another story

Oh the sumo days.. I stopped riding mx right at the efi arrival so luckily my tuning was simple. My dyna, simple. these efi bikes are tricky.

im taking my road glide on thur to get the stage 4 kit dialed in and not a light switch... ill post those results up

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I think a full tune is prob in order just seems like a lot for so little of parts.

But changing cams is not a little thing. So many variations that come into play that whole new maps are made that are nowhere near the stock maps. Surprised Fuel Moto's map didn't work. They are usually pretty good with these things. Must be something different about his motor that's not being thought of or it could just be one of those things that needs to be worked out on the dyno. A good tuner will get it worked out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
108 Posts
A tune will smooth out the power and torque curves and will give you a more enjoyable riding experience. It's well worth the money.

If you're plan on changing anything else on the motor, it would be best do do so before you have the tune done so you not spending money later for a re-tune.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Who did the work on the bike??
It just doesn't sound right with the 222 cams coming on that late. I run 222 cams in my 103 and I had a T-Max tuner and my bike ran great without a dyno tune.
To me it sounds as if the cam timing is off or the cam/crank timing is off. If this happens the bike will still start and run but it will lack power so it may not hurt to check the cam installation if you don't have positive result in changing the tune.
I don't know what tuner you are using but if all the mechanical parts are installed right even with a flash tune EFI mapp the bike should be running better then you said.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Who did the work on the bike??
It just doesn't sound right with the 222 cams coming on that late. I run 222 cams in my 103 and I had a T-Max tuner and my bike ran great without a dyno tune.
To me it sounds as if the cam timing is off or the cam/crank timing is off. If this happens the bike will still start and run but it will lack power so it may not hurt to check the cam installation if you don't have positive result in changing the tune.
I don't know what tuner you are using but if all the mechanical parts are installed right even with a flash tune EFI mapp the bike should be running better then you said.
Yup. The 222 is a low-end cam. If you've got no low-end, something ain't right.

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
A very good friend of mine has a 103 in a street glide.
He has done the 222's, from fueling moto. the kit with pushrods etc. along with the extreme true dual reinharts and se intake. They made him a custom map based on all the parts, location in the country etc. In 2nd/3rd/4th at down shift to one of those gears, hold the gear and go wide open its almost like it falls flat on its face before it ever picks up. Once above about 3100-3300 it comes alive.
I thought these were low end cams?
The TW-222 is a low end-mid RPM cam optimized for stock compression motors. If he is having any issues he needs to contact us for support and we are happy to assist. I would also recommend having him check compression front & rear to ensure the cams were installed correctly and not out of time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The TW-222 is a low end-mid RPM cam optimized for stock compression motors. If he is having any issues he needs to contact us for support and we are happy to assist. I would also recommend having him check compression front & rear to ensure the cams were installed correctly and not out of time.

his name is tyler and he called and you sent him a new map. I think yesterday he got the map. thank you for chiming in.
He is going to check timing too as that was the first thing we told him. There is a couple of our buddies with the same cam.

I did see some live feed of your 777 cam vs a se259e the other day. pretty neat

·
Registered
92 Posts
TC103 with TW222's

I know this is an old thread, but what was the outcome??? My bet as one other person stated, the cam timing is off, one tooth.... This same thing happened to me last year after installing a set of SE255 (sounds like the exact same symptoms) The installer was all about "canned maps" wrong, not tuned right etc.... Called Jamie, told him what was happening, he stated, have to check the timing.....

So I basically had to ask a HD trained 30 year experienced guy to reopen the cam chest and check it...after a lot of; it's right, I've never made that mistake comments.... I made him a double or nothing bet.... Open it up and if it's right...I'll pay double, if it's wrong, you got some spailin' to do.....

Bigger than you know what the timing was off, one tooth...He couldn't believe it..... apologized profusely and I got a few extra services thrown in.... The bike performed flawlessly after the "adjustment".... I've bought an used three Fuel Moto "PC's" and never had an issue and the customer service, over the top.... Hope it all worked out. CSM-H

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Here's a 2016 103 with 222's, Arlen Ness AC, decatted pipe tuned with Power Vision with RC 4" mufflers. This was tuned by J&B Performance.
Great torque and the torque curve is right where you want it. I used the TW222 cams and I love them because they made the bike pull like a freight train and they turned on early and turned off late. I have the TW 222 in my old engine that in storage and after I installed the 2015 HO engine I haven't seem to have any need to swap out the cams.

Reactions: Road dawg
1 - 20 of 21 Posts