Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....for those who've had a 88" Roadglide and then 103" Roadglide....can you describe the power difference to me?

I ask as I have a 06 TC88 Stage 1 Roadglide....and have been planning on either doing a 95/98" bigbore with cams and headporting....(most likely) or possibly a Trask Turbo system (less likely) and have been offered a REALLY good deal on a 2011 103" Roadglide.

It's a good enough deal that selling the 06 and buying this 2011 would be cheaper than modding the 06.

I'm seeing online that the 2011 should be around 100ft lbs of torque. It would "seem" from what I'm gathering online....that a 103 "should" be comparble to a big bore 88....and that a a tuned, piped and cammed 103 should be a crapload more power than that 95/98".

Com'on guys.....give me the 30 second education on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A 103" with say an Andrews 48 cam, with a good exhaust and an air filter kit, tuned correctly will have a very good amount of touring torque.
A pupose-built 98" engine may very well out-torque, and will certainly out-hp the 103"with a cam-only combo.
Scott

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Don't overlook all the other upgrades. Frame, 6 speed, 6 gal. tank, bigger rear tire, etc. I'd be inclined to make the move.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Valid points.......bottom line is the2011 is a salvage title but damage was fairing, fender and bags.....it's been fixed and looks and rides good. 25,000 miles.

My 06 has 15,000 miles....pristine.......but of all my bikes I ride it the least as it just doesn't have enough power to keep me interested.

I figure that I can get at least $10k for the 06.......and I can buy the 2011 for $10k. So I'd gain the improvements of the 2011 and more power....but the only downside is the salvage title. I'm not that concerned about it as I'll have it for at least 4-5 years and I'm sure even if I dump $5k into it....it'll still be worth 75% or more of that when I go to sell it.

I'm thinking I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I bumped my 01 RG up to a 95 inch,with 10 1/4 to 1 comp.head work and SE 211 cams with a thunderheader and a 42 Mikuni carb,when i traded for my 2012 RG 103,i was very disappointed in the performance of the 103 in comparison to my 95,if i had to do it over again i would never given up my 01,i would have put a Baker six speed in it.I already had the swing arm bushings upgraded and it had a tru trak on it.but as they say hind sight is 20-20.I now have a set of cams in my 12 but their is still a big diff in performance in the two.the 103 is still slower.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Valid points.......bottom line is the2011 is a salvage title but damage was fairing, fender and bags.....it's been fixed and looks and rides good. 25,000 miles.
There must be more to it than that, or else why would they total it? Either way, with a salvage title, I think you should pay even less. Down the road you're going to want to sell it, and salvage means salvage.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I bumped my 01 RG up to a 95 inch,with 10 1/4 to 1 comp.head work and SE 211 cams with a thunderheader and a 42 Mikuni carb,when i traded for my 2012 RG 103,i was very disappointed in the performance of the 103 in comparison to my 95,if i had to do it over again i would never given up my 01,i would have put a Baker six speed in it.I already had the swing arm bushings upgraded and it had a tru trak on it.but as they say hind sight is 20-20.I now have a set of cams in my 12 but their is still a big diff in performance in the two.the 103 is still slower.
seems like a nice setup on that 01. Up to 02 harley used timken crank bearings. I'm no expert but I don't know how much work I'd to to to that 06 88" like the trask turbo without bottom end work. You can't expect a 103 with just cams to perform like 95" with headwork etc. You have a tough choice, like you said the new one has salvage title and means nothing till you try selling it. but new one has some upgrades . And if you bumped that 103 to 107 and or just some headwork and let's say a TW5-6 cam etc it should be satisfying
:). good luck

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have an 06 with a 95" stage 2 kit. I have gone to the MOCO test rides and have done lots of full throttle pulls. The 2014 and new Rushmore motors definitely have more torque. I have read that these motor are dyno tested at 77hp stock. A 95" motor has 75hp with stock mufflers. One big difference with a bigger motor is bigger heat. It is very noticeable but as other people said you can manage that with pipes and tuning. I love my 95. Have no urge what so ever for a larger motor. Most of my riding is on two lane roads, not too much super slab, so I really don't need a 6 speed either. The only upgrade I really admire about the new bikes is the paint. I love the new colour patterns.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
With all the changes made to the 2015 there are plenty of 09's through 2013's out there for decent prices. Me personally, I would stay away from a salvaged titled bike unless its for a super cheap price. First off I'm betting there is more than just cosmetic damage to be salvaged. Also insurance companies will not write a full coverage policy on a salvage title and banks usually wont loan money on them. This makes it a cash deal and if ever in a wreck better hope its the other persons fault and they are insured.
Now for the differences between the two, I went from an 05 RG to an 11 RGU. No comparison between the two when it comes to handling and power but it is a bit bigger and heavier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts