Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS, HD 131 Kit, V&H 550, Heavy Breather, Yaffe 12" Bars
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not experimented with handling changes / upgrade before getting my shark. I just did not put enough miles on.

After a 1500 mile jaunt, I am ready to make some changes to my 2020 RGS.

I might be mistaken and interpreting some feedback the wrong way, but it seems like the stock suspension is "okay" and the low profile tires are great for carving but provide more "feedback" on all the road imperfections.

What wheel, tire, suspension upgrades do you recommend for a solid combination of responsive handing and long ride comfort? So far, I am thinking SuperShox...

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,310 Posts
I was sold on SuperShox for my 17 before a deer had other plans for me, there are half a dozen other popular brands that get mentioned a lot as well. I am sure the tires make a difference in comfort but I would change your suspension first. My 19 came with air ride for the rear and I am quite happy with my setup, now I float over bumps I used to cringe at. Would smaller diameter wheels make the ride smoother yet, sure, but thats a lot of money to fork out for what I think will be minimal gains.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I am running Ohlins front and rear on My 12 and couldn't be happier.
If You decide You want Ohlins reach out to @Smarty or @FastHarley for assistance.
Other Members swear by Pro Action and rightfully so.
Here's an informative thread by @'05Train on Pro Action. My Pro Action Review
Best of Luck and keep Us posted.
Mike U.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been very happy with my Super Shox! Give them a call and discuss your needs. They are very helpful. They have a great money back guarantee as well, but once you put them on, you won't want to take them off...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I put Ohlin 772s on my 2018. The stock shocks are a joke; the left side is a shock, the right is just a spring with zero damping or rebound. It makes the bike handle much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leave stock and ride the shit out of it...or you’ll be chasing a better ride forever.

second piece of advise...the more money you throw at the bike, less it’s worth.

if your suspension is not set up correctly it’s garbage to you.

how fast do you really ride.

Everyone is going to have an opinion and say there’s is the best.

My stock suspension was scary at 80mph. Gawd forbid you hit a 1-2”offset in the road at speed. Say goodbye to said spine as it compresses then the bike is going to wanna buck you off on rebound

Had-progressive, legends, and I feel dialed in with Ohlins black 772s no need for the reservoirs save your money. Front running Ohlins Nix30 cartridges I’m done chasing a better ride. Oh...I’m 270Lbs. that makes a huge difference.

The way I see it...if you can dial your cell phone with one hand at 110MPH on a curved freeway overpass. (freedom Sheild of course) 😁 you now have a stable platform.

Harley changes the geometry of the bike to make for the crappy stock suspension.

said it...prove me wrong

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check out RWD's or Legends for the rear and GP's for the front. GP's are a little more spendy but they're the bees knees. If you look up reviews for the RWDs you'll see a lot of ex Ohlins guys that have moved over. Matt from Laidlaw Harley has made some suspension review videos on YouTube, good info out there.

A few of the guys riding King of the Baggers race were riding GP fronts. Completely adjustable from the top, super easy to dial in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts