Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i autotuned my bike with the Power Vision. The bike is running great, the other other mod are the CFR slipons. My gas milage is in the low 40's and on the highway running 70 it stays around 55mpg. Only issue i see are the temps are around 255f

Any ideas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
temps

If that's the oil temp, yeah that's high. If that's the head temp it's about where mine runs. I called Jamie and he told me normal range would be 260-310 degrees on my 103 , his ceramic coated head pipes and his slip ons with a big sucker AC. I put the PV on before these mods and it now runs approx 40degrees cooler than used to stock. I'm getting 46mpg two up mixed riding and have seen 51mpg one up cruising at 60mph.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Man I have to ask how in the heck are you guys getting that kind of fuel mileage my 12 RGU with decatted head pipe stage 1 and CFR slip ons and now the fi2000 cobra AT I'm still only looking at 30 mpg with the tour pack off

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Man I have to ask how in the heck are you guys getting that kind of fuel mileage my 12 RGU with decatted head pipe stage 1 and CFR slip ons and now the fi2000 cobra AT I'm still only looking at 30 mpg with the tour pack off

Moose, ya gotta keep the front wheel on the ground if you want to bust the 40 mpg mark :D

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes i was surprised myself, cause i was tearing it up for more than a 100 miles trying to get all of the hits on the PV. And i really started liking the 4K sound.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I am getting "last time I checked" 38mpg on my 12 RGU and I am NOT light on the throttle. I weigh 220 and have a 1/2 mile steep hill on the way to work I always reach 75 to 80 mph climbing it. I am running all stock but a fullsack sportpipe and SE air cleaner with a V&H fuel pack. I run 80MPH everywhere I go out here in the desert. When I drive the speed limit it is a solid 42 MPG

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would say your temp problem is cause by the great fuel economy. the fuel cools the engine as well as power. My temps went down after stage one, but so did my fuel economy. Just a thought.

·
Registered
287 Posts

I was getting the same as you with the Cobra, switched to the PV and mpg has been in the 40s ever since

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Sounds like cobra subscribes to the same theories Dynojet used to, IE "Performance requires fuel".

My '11 RGU got 40.4mpg average over 4100 miles on the trip to and from SWIII in Utah.
That was 2-up(450+lbs for the 2 of us), fully loaded and 7-10mph over the posted limit most of the trip.
There's no excuse for 30mpg.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
And yes, 255 is within +/- 5* of what I see on the highway most of the time, has to be really hot to see more than 270 at highway speeds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My oil temp runs 220-228 on most days here in Florida cruising between 65-75 mph. My head temps run 255-278. I have a '13 RGC stage 1 AC, V&H Big radius exhaust and PCv. I avg 41 mpg.
So no 255 degrees is not normal IMO.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
Today i autotuned my bike with the Power Vision. The bike is running great, the other other mod are the CFR slipons. My gas milage is in the low 40's and on the highway running 70 it stays around 55mpg. Only issue i see are the temps are around 255f

Any ideas?
Assuming you are referring to engine temp as monitored on the ECM's data bus 255F is actually at the lower end of the normal range. While it is relative to conditions generally 240-320F would be considered normal ET.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't have a oil temp gauge myself for one reason I figured I would always be worried about the temp and not having fun riding. But I have checked the head temps after riding and the front will read about 270 and the rear about 230 and that's right after shutdown

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't have a oil temp gauge myself for one reason I figured I would always be worried about the temp and not having fun riding. But I have checked the head temps after riding and the front will read about 270 and the rear about 230 and that's right after shutdown

If you measured both heads at the exact same spot, something is way off on the rear cylinder. A well tuned twin cam Harley will normally run the rear cylinder 10 to 20* hotter than the front. Even allowing for some error with temp gun, that is an extreme opposite of the norm. On the dyno I like to see 280 frt 300 rear.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all the replies, that has squelched my worries. First time i have seen those temps (new Power Vision) and it did not sound right to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts