Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I've been MIA for the last couple weeks. After that 4k was stolen from me I've been busting my butt to try and save my side business. I also just found out last week that I need to leave this Sunday for Chicago for a work conference for 5 days. I'm nervous about leaving right now and dreading the 10 hour drive alone.

Anyway.

My wife, son, and myself were eating supper tonight. I use the small wooden baby gates to keep my dog out of my living room when we're not home. It was leaning up against the doorway.

My 7 year old cat is named Bob. Im extremely close to him. He sleeps on my shoulder every night and is one of my best friends. Not to sound weird, but the cat is seriously family. Im closer to that cat than most of my blood family. Hes been through a lot with me.

He was playing with a toy near the door. Pretty odd as he rarely plays. I heard him knock the gate over. No big deal he's done that at least a thousand times jumping on it. Then within 5 seconds my son, who is almost 3, started repetitively saying "Bobs dead". I thought it was just toddler talk and I said " Bobs fine buddy". Then he got more frantic so I looked, and sure enough wasn't my cat dead. Just like that. He was a tough cat too. I can't believe this. I'm seriously in denial.

It literally killed him instantly. I was holding him withing 20 seconds. He was dead. I literally was just playing with him and watching him and he was fine.

The gate weighs 4-5 pounds tops. All I can figure is that when he knocked it over on himself it severed his spinal cord? What a freak accident. His neck didn't seem broke but I don't know. Does that make sense?

I can't believe how fast it happened.

I gave him CPR for 15 minutes trying to hold onto hope until my wife made me stop. I checked his airway. I felt for a heartbeat after doing chest compressions. Nothing. Everything looked and felt 100% normal. No blood, no swelling, etc.

Just happened a couple hours ago. I already dug a 5 foot hole while crying so I have huge blisters on my hands now. I filled the hole in and that's it. It feels cheap and generic to be just over that quick. It's like what do I do now?

I don't know. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I feel your pain brother, I lost my beloved Staffordshire bull terrier a little over a year ago and it kicked the crap outta me, broke my heart she passed right in front of me in the ER, its a pain because the love we feel for our pets is a precious thing. I am sending a prayer for you, there is a long road in front of you, Godspeed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The pain and loss you feel is 100% real. I lost my friend and long term partner over 15 years ago. I held him as he passed and took forever for me to finally let go. I still miss him.

Very sorry for your loss.

Hawkman.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Its hard to let go of close ones.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Sorry for your loss Brother. I never cried at my Dads or my Moms funeral, but I have cried over all 3 of the Springer Spaniels that I have had the pleasure of sharing my life with. I guess it's partly because you spend more time with them because their always around. Again sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pets are family....sad that it happened for you. I have cried like a baby putting my favorite dog down. It's life, you loved your pet and that's what counts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know the loss brother. It gets easier as time passes, but the loss of a "friend" never goes away. They also have a piece of our hearts, and will be there to greet us on the other side.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I know the loss brother. It gets easier as time passes, but the loss of a "friend" never goes away. They also have a piece of our hearts, and will be there to greet us on the other side.

+1. It ain't easy. I had to put Tank down in April and I still look for him every time I come through the door. I just put the food & water dishes away last weekend.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
Been there done that more than I care to remember , got two girls here now and odds are I'll see them go , rather than they see me go .. it doesn't get any easier as you get older , and like you , ours mean more to us than lots of the family , they are our 'kids' literally , and I'd hurt myself to protect them ..

In our prayers

JtB

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Damn that sucks. Like you our animals are part of the family. Matter of fact with a special needs son the animals are his best and only friends. They never judge him. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
For those of us who consider our pets as family this kind of thing is devastating I lost my male Boxer at 5 years old due to health issues,that's been more than 5 years ago,and i still shed a tear over him,I can truly feel your pain,only time will help ease it.Hang in there.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I had a Cat for 20 freakin years growin up. Her name was Mouse! Long Haired, Multiple Colored Calico. I Loved that Cat,... I was the Only One she came around. I'd make kissing sounds and she'd come out of hiding.
W-O-A-H!...ur son , saying , xcpressing what he saw and getting Frantic bout it after u stated she was fine. Dude that's creepy!
I'd been ballin like a Baby , digging that Hole...
My Cat has been gone now for almost 30 years. Just seems like yesterday sumtimes I was maken them kissing sounds and she come out Meowing,...
been 30 years for me, bout 3 days for u,...sucks

I have a connection w/pussy-cats...sum Hate me, sum cant get enuff...lol idk what it is??? lol
Chick I lived w/for bout 8 years , had a cat. her name was sheriss. Cat would just not drink a dam thing out of a bowl! just freakin skidish as hell! needless to say , cat got turned on to , drinkin out of a Faucet I left turned on in the bathroom one day, and i'll be dammed if that wasn't standard for the cat, till her dying day! lol... just don't make a Dam bit of Sence!!!...wtf? lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts