Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched high and low when trying to find the right tuner for me. I wanted something that was smart, and I didn't have to adjust or load maps. Putting the bike on the dyno is something I like to do,.. just to see what my numbers are but I don't like dyno tuning. Power Commander makes the auto tune, but combine its price tag with the PC-V, and its expensive and I read some bad reviews on both which steered me away.
So with that said, I found 3 smart closed loop tuners,.. the thundermax, accel's SLM, and Terry components terminal velocity 3. The thundermax has great reviews, but was really pricey... to pricey for me. I couldn't find but just a couple of reviews about the accel Self Learning Module, and on something like this, I don't like being the guinnea pig. So that left the Terry comp part. There are a lot of reviews of their older models, but about a dozen of the new TV-3 for the 09 and up touring bikes. Most of the older reviews were on non touring bikes, and it seemed they did have a problem. However every review I read for the 09 and up was outstanding. I called and spoke with them a couple of times, questioning just how "smart" the tuner was. As in, when I add my stage 1 it will adjust,.. the answer was yes. When I add headpipes,.. again the answer was no problem. So then I asked what about when I add my 106" big bore kit... not a problem the tuner will adjust. So the last phone call, was asking about cams. Surely this would be to much of a change and I would need to do something else. Nope,.. the TV-3 adjusts to anything I do to the bike. Even if I had a prior reflash of the ECU, and a H-D map loaded in, the tuner would adjust for it.
It almost sounded to good to be true, but I thought for $400 I couldn't go wrong.
Install was easy,.. a lot easier then I thought it was going to take. The instructions were not really clear, and I was thankful I had a servica manual to refer to with pictures, so I found the right connectors. Oh yeah, did I mention its plug and play? No splicing, no reading wire schematics and no guessing if its hooked up right. The hardest part about the install, was deciding which color zipties to use. I did take the extra step of sodering the key power wire,.. but they give you the connecters to tie in.
On the road I could tell the difference in power from just the ventilator and the tuner. There was no popping on decel, and Im happy with the results thus far.
Next up I will add the dresser duals. Then later on, put on the big bore kit when I decide which cams I will go with.

So if you have a newer bike, and like me and don't want to hassle with maps and adjusting the fuel/air ratio on your bike,.. get with Dr V Twin and get the Terry Components TV-3. :D

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have got to be kidding being it is your bike the answer is black.:D
Yeah I was kidding :D Just trying to explain at how simple the install was. I took my time, and triple checked everything I did and it only took maybe an hour. If I had to do it again, and knowing everything about it,.. maybe 20 minutes tops is all it would take to install.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah I was kidding :D Just trying to explain at how simple the install was. I took my time, and triple checked everything I did and it only took maybe an hour. If I had to do it again, and knowing everything about it,.. maybe 20 minutes tops is all it would take to install.
I have been looking for a tuner myself and I am also looking for something simple. The one I have been researching recently is the TFI Gen 3 from Dobeck performance. I have called twice to ask questions and they have been extremely helpful. From what I have read most people are very happy with the product as well as their custom service & support.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I looked at that one, but could not find enough reviews at the time. The Accel is just a repackedged Terry piece. I found tons of reviews about the older one, but just didn't want to take a chance on the new one and ended up going the PC5 route. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Does the TV-3 use the stock O2 sensors?
Do you have to save the map after it gathers the data after riding?
I wish I would have known about this 3 months ago.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have heard of these in the past and have always heard they work great for a while and then just die. If they are better now they should offer a warrenty better than 3 months......

When they have more confidence in their own product I might get one until then when I do my stage 1 still looking at the PCV with Fuel Moto.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have heard of these in the past and have always heard they work great for a while and then just die. If they are better now they should offer a warrenty better than 3 months......

When they have more confidence in their own product I might get one until then when I do my stage 1 still looking at the PCV with Fuel Moto.
Which tuner are you referring to TV3 or TFI?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the TV-3 use the stock O2 sensors?
Do you have to save the map after it gathers the data after riding?
I wish I would have known about this 3 months ago.
The 09 and up I believe use the stock O2 sensors. It just plugs into them behind your right side cover. There are no maps to save,.. its tamper proof. It reads and adjusts it all as you ride, no perameters to upload or maps.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I searched high and low when trying to find the right tuner for me. I wanted something that was smart, and I didn't have to adjust or load maps. Putting the bike on the dyno is something I like to do,.. just to see what my numbers are but I don't like dyno tuning. Power Commander makes the auto tune, but combine its price tag with the PC-V, and its expensive and I read some bad reviews on both which steered me away.
So with that said, I found 3 smart closed loop tuners,.. the thundermax, accel's SLM, and Terry components terminal velocity 3. The thundermax has great reviews, but was really pricey... to pricey for me. I couldn't find but just a couple of reviews about the accel Self Learning Module, and on something like this, I don't like being the guinnea pig. So that left the Terry comp part. There are a lot of reviews of their older models, but about a dozen of the new TV-3 for the 09 and up touring bikes. Most of the older reviews were on non touring bikes, and it seemed they did have a problem. However every review I read for the 09 and up was outstanding. I called and spoke with them a couple of times, questioning just how "smart" the tuner was. As in, when I add my stage 1 it will adjust,.. the answer was yes. When I add headpipes,.. again the answer was no problem. So then I asked what about when I add my 106" big bore kit... not a problem the tuner will adjust. So the last phone call, was asking about cams. Surely this would be to much of a change and I would need to do something else. Nope,.. the TV-3 adjusts to anything I do to the bike. Even if I had a prior reflash of the ECU, and a H-D map loaded in, the tuner would adjust for it.
It almost sounded to good to be true, but I thought for $400 I couldn't go wrong.
Install was easy,.. a lot easier then I thought it was going to take. The instructions were not really clear, and I was thankful I had a servica manual to refer to with pictures, so I found the right connectors. Oh yeah, did I mention its plug and play? No splicing, no reading wire schematics and no guessing if its hooked up right. The hardest part about the install, was deciding which color zipties to use. I did take the extra step of sodering the key power wire,.. but they give you the connecters to tie in.
On the road I could tell the difference in power from just the ventilator and the tuner. There was no popping on decel, and Im happy with the results thus far.
Next up I will add the dresser duals. Then later on, put on the big bore kit when I decide which cams I will go with.

So if you have a newer bike, and like me and don't want to hassle with maps and adjusting the fuel/air ratio on your bike,.. get with Dr V Twin and get the Terry Components TV-3. :D
Nice review.

Make sure you get some dilelectric grease on the connection between the units. I neglected to do that on my PCV install, and the first rain I got into, it caused a problem.

Once it dried out everything was fine, but just saying, it does get wet under that seat.

·
Registered
781 Posts
So Chain, there's no download? It's just a plug in and go. I'm going to get with VTWIN if it is. VTWIN has great customer service and prices.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah man, no download nothing to ever change. I will be adding my true dual headpipes this week and won't have to touch a thing. Just install them and the tuner adjusts accordingly. In a month or so when I throw on the 106" kit and cams,.. no map to load it adjusts itself and I just hop on and ride.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Found these for sale on ebay..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TERRY-COMPONENTS-TV-3-EFI-TUNER-HARLEY-TOURING-2008-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem336094ebf7QQitemZ220663704567QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Chain, what did you have soder in your install? I thought this was just a one plug connection and you are done? Looks like the installation instructions on the site are old? Also read on the site that the a/r is 14.7 at cruise which I belive is stock and under load it goes to 13.5. This should be perfect and if you stay off the throttle you should get pretty close to stock mpg.

Might have to try this, just wished there was more reviews on it and they had a better warenty.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found these for sale on ebay..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TERRY-COMPONENTS-TV-3-EFI-TUNER-HARLEY-TOURING-2008-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem336094ebf7QQitemZ220663704567QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Chain, what did you have soder in your install? I thought this was just a one plug connection and you are done?
It is a plug and play, but in the instructions it gives you the option (which I took) to soder in one of the power wires. These units have 2 power wires,.. its grounded through your O2 sensor plug-ins so there is no ground wire. One power wire goes to your battery, the other goes to a switch wire, that actually turns it on when you turn the key on your bike. They send you one of those T type fittings, that you just put the wires in, crimp it down and leave it,.. but I've never liked those and rather solder my wires in for piece of mind.
So in a long answer, its 100% plug and play. But you can take the extra 5 minutes to solder 1 single wire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What changes w/ TV3??

Chainsaw Now that you have ridden with the TV3 for a couple of weeks, what changes have you noticed?? Power?? Fuel mileage? Over all performance??

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chainsaw Now that you have ridden with the TV3 for a couple of weeks, what changes have you noticed?? Power?? Fuel mileage? Over all performance??
I noticed a lot more power, but I think thats due to doing the stage 1 with new headpipes as well. Fuel Mileage I have no idea, I've never kept tabs on it. I just ride till Im about empty, then fill it up and repeat :D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm really interested in how it goes as time/mods proceed Chainsaw. This product might be perfect for me.

I'm one of those guys who said bye-bye to his racing days and I'm not all that interested in getting every available ounce in each ft/lb of torque anymore. Sure was back in the early 70s but that's another story too. More power to those who are actually after every ounce but that's their choice - just not mine these days.

For me now, I still want damn good performance but am willing to give up some to ensure that the engine and drive-train are operating within a safe region even though exhaust, intake, gearing, and probably cams will be changed. I must also do that over time with several installs, a piece at a time, and without excess expense i.e. dyno each time or more sophistication than I need (oldphart on fixed income).

For crying out loud, I lived just fine with a PC-III and a canned map on my old FLHR but, these days, I want a better design. Maybe a tuner set-up that includes some sort of autotune - maybe this one.

Ramble done :eek: - bottom line... thanks for sharing the info.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts