Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok y'all, this time next week we'll be burnin' beef over a fire at the ranch. Ok, maybe some pig, too.

To streamline things, I've made this last and final pre event thread.

I'm getting PM's and texts for what to expect leading into the weekend. I've also seen some Q's from folks living in the SA area that want to catch up with us on Saturday.

Let me start by saying that the Secret Society of the Sharknose is a democratic one, at least it is in the South Austin, Texas precinct. We can do whatever we want to do. But I would like to make some suggestions since folks will be coming in at various times and days.

I'll be getting in Thursday, hopefully before 5 pm. I'm sure some of y'all will beat me there.

I will try to get a sign in sheet at the desk going. Please put your name, RGForum handle and Kabin, tent site or RV spot # on there, and a phone #.

I propose that Friday and Saturday mornings we meet at the Koyote Ranch store, aka the Mercantile. It's where you'll check in when you arrive. I'm not sure what hours they serve breakfast, but I suggest we meet at least 30 mins before they STOP serving. That will give everyone time to get some food, eat and give input on what they want to do for the day.

Friday is up for grabs. Obviously we want to ride as a group as much as possible. With the rally going on, some will want to go to Bandera. I'd like to ride 337 up to Leakey, then south to Utopia and then Bandera. The 11th St. Bar in Bandera is cool as hell. Horses tied up to a hitchin' post next to parked motorcycles. Watch your step, by the way!

Saturday I have a really cool ride planned. We can make as many stops along the way as we want to. If anyone dares to bare their bellies, we can even stop and swim in one of the several swimmin' holes along the Guadalupe and Frio Rivers.

Included on the Saturday ride will be Ingram, Tx (Stonehenge II), Hunt and a ride past the Guadalupe headwaters, south to Vanderpool and a stop at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum. Then onto RR 337, the first of the 3 Sisters. A stop at the Frio River Motorcycle Shop is a must for those who've never been. Then the run up to 335 and finally 336, which will bring us back to Leakey, and then 337 all the way back to Medina at hwy 16. It's about 240 miles in all.

I would like some help with the Saturday night throwdown plans. It may be easiest to have everyone throw in, say 20 bucks and just go apeshit at the Kerrville HEB. Steaks? Tasty but complicated to cook to everyone's tastes. Burgers and dogs or brats? Hell, y'all- I just need help with this part.

On the downside, I rode 300 miles today hoping to find bluebonnets for those of y'all coming from the north. The Willow City Loop had hardly any. I rode darn near every can't miss road in the area and was very disappointed. There are NO blankets anywhere, just patches. However, I found one 20 or so mile stretch has bluebonnets and white thistles along both sides of the road- just not real thick. If we get some more rain early in the week, maybe they'll be more.

Coming south on 16 from Llano, immediately after the TX 71 turn off to Austin, FM 2323 to Fredericksburg will be on your right. It's 35 miles to FBurg, and 2323 is a real fun road, with or without wildflowers. As I mentioned, 20 or so miles has bluebonnets and thistles. I would suggest taking this slight detour off of 16 if you want to see bluebonnets. 2323 dead ends at US 87, 8 miles west of Fburg.

See y'all in a few days. Ride safe. Party on, Wayne!

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Sounds good Andy. We will be glad to help anyway we can whether it be chasing down grub, cooking or whatever. I'm sure with the group we have coming it will all work out fine. Looking forward to meeting ya'll and enjoying good riding, friends, food and drink :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Good research on the routes Andy. I heard the bike museum closed? Guess not. BTW they make a kick as hamburger there! I was wondering if the blue bonnets were going to be there prime. :( As far as cooking out, I am game. Whatever it takes as long as I have a cold one in my hand I be more than willing to grill or just watch lol....looking forward to meeting everyone!

Bob

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Watch out for idiots - they seem to lurk around intersections.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Important thing is you make it :) We can always find some for you on the way down if you run out.
God willin' I fully intend to make it, the only variable is the route. Everytime I check the weather it changes. I may forgo the scenic and go the way the crow flies although I'll detour north as I approach the big city so's to miss 635.

The thing about the tea, being a conscientious citizen, I hesitate to carry it after its open as it may leak causing a hazardous spill, so once open I'm compelled to finish the bottle L:DL. Awww the sacrifices we make for the environment :D

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
God willin' I fully intend to make it, the only variable is the route. Everytime I check the weather it changes. I may forgo the scenic and go the way the crow flies although I'll detour north as I approach the big city so's to miss 635.

The thing about the tea, being a conscientious citizen, I hesitate to carry it after its open as it may leak causing a hazardous spill, so once open I'm compelled to finish the bottle L:DL. Awww the sacrifices we make for the environment :D
Can't wait to hear that infamous saying "hit me again" :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm ready to roll now! Got everything ready to roll. Weather forecast keeps changing for here. Chance of rain around here Thursday. Hopefully I'll miss it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good research on the routes Andy. I heard the bike museum closed? Guess not. BTW they make a kick as hamburger there! I was wondering if the blue bonnets were going to be there prime. :( As far as cooking out, I am game. Whatever it takes as long as I have a cold one in my hand I be more than willing to grill or just watch lol....looking forward to meeting everyone!

Bob
As far as I know the museum is open, or will be next week. They do close during the long, bitter cold winter months: Dec- March. Here's their link.

http://www.lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

I'll email the guy and confirm.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bluebonnets seem to be a little patchy everywhere that I've seen so far this year. Usually between Montgomery and Plantersville there's fields full and thick with em, but doesn't seem to be quite there this year. May be just a bit early...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Koyote website seems to indicate merc not open for bfast on Fridays. Suggest we still meet there but bfast will be on your own. How about 9 a.m.?
Looks like I'll be bringnin' my camp stove and some dehydrated bacon and eggs for Friday's mornin vittles.

9 seems perfect to me. Hopefully that's not too early for anyone. lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts