Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I hate to do this, I’m going have to say goodbye to the forum, hopefully only temporally, due to health reasons. As I mentioned in a previous posts, I had major back surgery in 2014 (L3 and L4) so I missed the entire ’14 riding season while recuperating. I recently found out that my L2 disc is ruptured and I will be having another back surgery in a couple of weeks. While my Dr. says my M/C days are over I haven’t thrown in the towel just yet. However, I did make the decision to sell my ’13 Road Glide Ultra and yesterday the new owner road it home. I just couldn’t see continuing to make payments and paying insurance on it for a second year while it just sat in the garage depreciating. I did decide to keep my 2000 Heritage as it is paid for and not really worth that much. Also, I couldn’t come anywhere near close to recouping the $ in accessories/paint that I’ve put into it over the years. Besides I have three sons who love to “borrow” it and take it for rides; and if I recover sufficiently to ride again, than I can start with it while I regain my “motorcycle legs.” In the meantime I’m put the equity in my ’13 RGU in the bank to use as a possible down payment on a new Harley next year. :)

I’ve been riding M/Cs since the late ‘60s and street bikes since 1970 and Harleys since 2000. I just wanted to say that outside of my family, the M/C community is the most sincere, honest and friendly “Association/Organization” I have encountered, bar none. They truly are like a second family. I guess that’s why we call each other Brothers and Sisters. Not only do they look out after each other, but no other organization(s) do more to help others in need, whether they are a member of the M/C community or not.

I have learned a lot from this forum and really enjoyed reading your posts and occasionally adding my 2 cents. I will miss that in the future. Hopefully, I will recover enough that next year I will post pictures of my new RGU and say “I’m back,” but time will tell. In the meantime keep the rubber side down and remember to ride like you are invisible; because to “cage” drivers you are invisible, especially when they’re making left turns in front of you!

· Registered
993 Posts
Good luck to you and hope for a full and complete recovery. I'm pretty sure you're welcome here online and in person to any function you can make. The forum is for those who have an affinity for the Road Glide wether they own one or not so don't let that keep you away.

· Registered
492 Posts
Let's hope this is only temporary. I know your pain, as my wife has been battling breast cancer since April of 2014, so she hasn't been able to ride her bike either. Good luck with your surgery and don't be a stranger to the forum.:cool:

· Super Moderator
6,304 Posts
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. My wife has been dealing with some similar issues though not near as severe. My hope is that you're able to ride soon after your next treatment. Damn good idea to keep the soft tail as a means to get your legs back. You are spot on about the MC support for those with common interest. As painful as it might be ... Don't be a stranger. The support could help you whether your riding or not.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Good luck on the surgery and I am Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!!

· Registered
853 Posts
Thoughts and prayers to ya Brother, but why not stay around!? You'll need something to read and laugh about when you're down! We can keep ya up even when you don't have a ride. Medical reasons will never "Disqualify" ya from the forum or any local meet and greets like someone above said!
Good luck to ya either way!!!

· Registered
329 Posts
If I was in your situation, I'd still hang out here...better, more entertaining, more interesting, and more educational than some of the crap on TV:D...and you get to interact with knuckleheads instead of just yelling at the knuckleheads on TV who won't interact with you, ever ;)

Good luck with your surgery and GodSpeed, bro...remember: Laughing is healing...lots to laugh about here ;)

· Shark of the Month October 13
13,184 Posts
Good luck to you and hope for a full and complete recovery. I'm pretty sure you're welcome here online and in person to any function you can make. The forum is for those who have an affinity for the Road Glide whether they own one or not so don't let that keep you away.
+1

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Get better, and I'm sure we'll see you on here in the future and back on the road riding again.

· Registered
273 Posts
Wishing you nothing but the best for your surgery and a very speedy, full recovery. I feel your pain. I've had three back surgeries already and I currently go through injections every 6-8 weeks in an attempt to avoid another surgery or two.

I know it can be a little tough to stick around with having to sell your RG, but it will get easier with a little time and I'm sure you would be seen as an asset to new members of the forum. Just a thought.

· Registered
548 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. Back problems can be extremely difficult to deal with. I hope surgery is successful, you heal fast and have a good quality of life. Hang tough, maybe 2 wheels will once again be in your future.

· Registered
462 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a future that holds more riding fun!

· Registered
2012 FLTRXSE
332 Posts
Hang in there and don't let the Dr's tell you what you can and can't do. I've had 3 back surgeries with ruptured disc and fusion with a cage and I'm still on two wheels. Keep that can do attitude and you can make it through this and continue to do the things you love it is just a matter of re-learning how to do things and when to say it's time to rest and take a break. Good luck and chin up

· Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
Keep that positive attitude of 'I will ride again' and I have no doubt we'll soon see a brand new thread from you saying youre back.

Regardless if you have a RG or not, you are always welcome here. Youre family and thats that.

Stay strong, recuperate, and know that we are all here sending positive vibes, prayers and what ever else we can do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.