Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I rode back to Azzkikr Customs in Phoenix today to get a second set of measurements and finalize the design of some custom handlebars for the '18 RGU. I'm really excited about getting them back and installed on the bike in the next couple of weeks. I'll post pics once they're on the scoot.

Now that I've had a few months to customize the bike to fit my body, I'm even more in love with it!

By the way, I have to say that so far, my experience with everyone at Azzkikr has been second to none. Because of my T-Rex arms, the bars have required some extra attention and TLC, and the guys at Azzkikr have been great to work with. The bars are going to be unlike anything I've seen on a RG before but more importantly, they should alleviate the shoulder and spinal pain that has plagued me when using the stock MoCo and Factory 47 bars (which I really like but which just weren't manufactured for someone who has short upper limbs like mine).

I think I may have discovered the fountain of youth, I'm getting younger with each mod that I make to the bike! :wink:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The bars are going to be unlike anything I've seen on a RG before but more importantly, they should alleviate the shoulder and spinal pain that has plagued me when using the stock MoCo and Factory 47 bars (which I really like but which just weren't manufactured for someone who has short upper limbs like mine).
Just out of curiosity, what size Factory 47 bars were you running? Can't wait to see the new pics! Always brings back the "kid on Christmas morning" feeling when you get to do something cool with your bike!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just out of curiosity, what size Factory 47 bars were you running? Can't wait to see the new pics! Always brings back the "kid on Christmas morning" feeling when you get to do something cool with your bike!
I have the 14" Factory 47 bars on the bike now. The new bars are 18" but have a LOT more pullback. They remind me of the guys below (except of course, there are handles at the ends of the bars).

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Now that I've had a few months to customize the bike to fit my body, I'm even more in love with it!
Would really enjoy reading about any of the fitment changes you have made. I’m 5’7” and to date have only replaced the stock seat with a Reach, and added the Harley backrest. Hope to see pics of your handlebars and anything else you have already done or plan to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Looking forward to seeing them. I have the same issue with shorter arms and the stock bars caused shoulder pain. Had Jim at JSR Customs make me a set. Money well spent!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the new custom bars on the bike yesterday and I can already tell a HUGE difference in how much better they make my body feel. I put a quick 100 miles on the bike after the installation and although I still need another adjustment for the angle of the grips, I was able to ride the bike sitting straight up, I had zero back pain and neither my shoulder nor my wrist became numb. I'm really happy with this mod, thank you Santa! I'll post pics after the final tweaking of the grip angle. It's definitely a different look for Shark bars but it suits my body.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Pics........PLEASE......can’t wait to see—-I think this could be a great solution for me!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I picked up the bike today after Azzkikr Customs in Phoenix finished the final grip angle tweaks. I am LOVING this set of bars. I went to gas the bike up after I picked it up this morning and the comments started immediately. Some random Rastafarian walked up while I was at the pump, took a long look at the bars and said "Wicked handlebars mon!" :wink:

I then headed over to the local dealership where the service department guys sat on the bike to check out the bars. Both guys told me that the bike was the most comfortable that they had ever sat on. LOL, one of them told me that he feared that he might fall asleep while riding because it was so comfortable.

I know that it's a funky look, and that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the bike now fits my body like a glove. I'm planning to head out to ride from Phoenix to Houston and back next week. I can't wait to give it a nice long road trial.

Below are pictures from three different angles (the third picture shows the guys from the dealership checking it out and gives you a good idea of the extreme pullback).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Looks sick, I can understand why you went that route, I did the 2+2 sweepers from khromewerks on my bike to get more pull back, wish they looked as good as yours, I wanted a thicker bar and maybe one more inch of pull back, good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
First, the bike is gorgeous. Well done. That seats looks remarkably comfortable and ready for long trips. Best of luck with her. Enjoy many comfortable and fun filled miles.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Looks good and the scooter looks set up real nice overall. I stopped at Azzkikr not too long ago and by the looks of their showroom I had no idea they would even do bars. Good to know.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks great, you may have started something.
BTW how does the bike handle with those bars?
Thanks Ironhorse! I'm finding that it's easier for me to make tighter U-turns and I feel as though I have much better control of the bike in general with the new bars. Although I've only put in about 100 miles on the highway with the new bars, it's definitely a more enjoyable ride because I'm not having back or neck pain like I did with the two previous sets of bars (which didn't give me the pullback that I needed). Weather permitting, I'm going to take a ride of between 2500 and 3000 miles in the next two weeks. I'll report back here after I return.

BTW, I have to give another shout out to Azzkikr Customs for not only doing a great job with the bar fitment, but also for the nice, clean wiring job! It's great to have all of the cables out of sight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts