Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The middle of this past Sept. we were in Maggie Valley ('been riding the area at least a dozen times before) and decided to check out the Rattler for the first time, rode up from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs and back, I was saying that I just discovered one of my new favorite roads in the area!

The next day we rode through Pisgah and up to Pigeon Forge for a bite, after a long day, we were heading back to Maggie Valley on I-40 when all traffic got diverted (I-40 closed both directions) for a rock slide and an accident, we headed toward Hot Springs figuring that we would head back on 25 as we were going to run out of daylight. Arriving at Hot Springs there was a cop directing traffic at the main intersection of 25 and 209, I asked him what the deal was and he said that there was a tractor trailer overturned on 25, the road was completely blocked in the direction we intended to go. After a quick pit stop, we decided to go 209-the Rattler and roll as best we could since darkness was fast approaching... We were getting in a good quick rhythm (all of us packing double) when we started running into Full sized Tractor Trailer Rigs that had been diverted from I-40, (yes, on the most technical sections of the Rattler!) The first was a Tanker North of the Trust General Store (great food btw) and the 2nd was a Box a few miles South of Trust. We met both trucks as they were cutting off our inside lane in tight corners, leaving us maybe 4-5 ft between the Truck and the rock.

We all made it back to Maggie Valley safe and sound with a new story to tell...
I did notice some "crimp marks" on all the seats though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts