Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to adjust my headlight after an evening ride last night and come out to find oil on my garage floor- service dept. is closed at my dealer, however my salesman was still in so he will be contacting me tomorrow with the service schedule- really crappy thing to see!! 2018 RGS, bought late December 2017 with 04 miles on it. Currently have right at 750 miles and everything has been trouble free up to this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hope it 5urns out to be something simple. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hope they take care of it in short order. Nothing like having a new toy to play with, only to find out it's broken.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer I bought the bike from in KC is nearly 3 hours away, however they are sending a truck and trailer down today to pick it up and see what's going on. Can't complain about the service, just have to wait and see what they say is the culprit. Have a bit more oil on the floor this morning, so I'd guess a seal/gasket is bad- bike has run perfectly, even the ride I completed just prior to finding the leak.

I'll keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My 2013 looked like that a while back and after some R&R it turned out to be the oil filter had backed off enough to leak. I wiped it down and tightened it up with my oil filter pliers and that fixed it. Hasn't happened since. I hope that is all that is wrong with yours.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could certainly be missing something, but I have inspected with a flash light quite awhile last night. The leak seems to be coming from back behind the oil cooler, towards the bottom of the engine casing. I cannot see back in there with the cooler and plates on, but that is where it seems to be originating from.

I couldn't find a drop of oil around the filter, rocker covers, hose clamps that were recalled in 2017 etc.

Already got a call from the driver and he's a few hours out from picking it up. It won't be looked at today as he is going to get back after hours, but hopefully they will take a look first thing in the morning and I'll get an update.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I could certainly be missing something, but I have inspected with a flash light quite awhile last night. The leak seems to be coming from back behind the oil cooler, towards the bottom of the engine casing. I cannot see back in there with the cooler and plates on, but that is where it seems to be originating from.

I couldn't find a drop of oil around the filter, rocker covers, hose clamps that were recalled in 2017 etc.

Already got a call from the driver and he's a few hours out from picking it up. It won't be looked at today as he is going to get back after hours, but hopefully they will take a look first thing in the morning and I'll get an update.
Could definitely bet the oil filter backed off a bit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bike was just loaded and off it goes. Driver got down on the ground with me and checked a few things, just as I did last evening. He immediately checked the clamps on the oil cooler, which were all sound and then went under the bike to make sure nothing hit the bottom of the engine casing. He said he's seen casings crack on occasion if you hit something, but there was no damage to the frame or undercarriage. He too said it looks as though it originates behind the oil cooler and towards the bottom of the engine casing, but couldn't find a smoking gun. It just needs to get on a lift so they can get a better look.

I'll keep everyone in the loop!

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Bike was just loaded and off it goes. Driver got down on the ground with me and checked a few things, just as I did last evening. He immediately checked the clamps on the oil cooler, which were all sound and then went under the bike to make sure nothing hit the bottom of the engine casing. He said he's seen casings crack on occasion if you hit something, but there was no damage to the frame or undercarriage. He too said it looks as though it originates behind the oil cooler and towards the bottom of the engine casing, but couldn't find a smoking gun. It just needs to get on a lift so they can get a better look.

I'll keep everyone in the loop!
I had a minor oil leak behind the oil cooler on my last bike. Simple fix. Hopefully that's all it is.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My 13 had a similar leak. Hate to show my ignorance but I never truly understood the explanation I got. They said there was a clogged breather tube somewhere that made it build up too much pressure & caused the leak. What ever it was never happened again after their repair. Put about 20k more on it after the leak. I think I posted a note on here about it at the time.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Checked it - vent tube to transmission caused clutch cable seal to rupture. Mine was the only time I’ve heard of that. ....

·
Administrator
12,506 Posts
Doesn’t look good, but I’m sure they’ll have you back on the road soon, probably something very simple.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully so..... the dealership called last night just to let me know the bike arrived safe and sound and they were going to get started on it first thing this morning. They assured me they'd get it fixed and back to me just as soon as they can, so I can't complain about the customer service I've received thus far. Great dealings and communication. Now just waiting on pins and needles for "the call"!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Been some reports of pinched orings on the M8 crank sensors.
This is what it is. I had the exact same thing on my 17. You can see the drop of oil hanging off of the round crank sensor cover in pic 1. Mine had a tiny crack in the O Ring. It was fixed in an hour.

Pic 3 shows it really well right at the front of the engine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealership just called- the O-ring on the oil distribution seal was pinched when the bike was put together and that caused the leak..... all fixed up under warranty and glad to hear that it wasn't a major issue that needed to be addressed. Now to get my beauty back and put some more miles on her!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
could it be?

my 17 RGU did that. dealer replaced 3 orings on crank sensor. didn't fix it. turns out the sensor threads were drilled crooked in the cases. dealer replaced cases with new ones..........no more leak.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well lets hope that's not the case!!!! I don't want to see her bleeding anymore, it's just too traumatizing..... :crying:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts