Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't spent I dime on my bike since my son was born last summer. Time to feed the disease. I pulled the trigger on the all new Sony XAV-AX7000 head unit. It's a big improvement over the 5000. I'll have it in by Tuesday. I'll check back in with my thoughts and a review. I can't wait to have Android Auto on my bike!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I haven't spent I dime on my bike since my son was born last summer. Time to feed the disease. I pulled the trigger on the all new Sony XAV-AX7000 head unit. It's a big improvement over the 5000. I'll have it in by Tuesday. I'll check back in with my thoughts and a review. I can't wait to have Android Auto on my bike!
Heeeee's baaaack... lol.

Hows the wife and boy? Hope all is well.

I don't know if I'm ahead or behind and need to catch up. But if ya haven't seen. I've had a few changes. Lol.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heeeee's baaaack... lol.

Hows the wife and boy? Hope all is well.

I don't know if I'm ahead or behind and need to catch up. But if ya haven't seen. I've had a few changes. Lol.
How's it going brother! Did you get a trike? How are you doing? The wife and son are great. He's getting huge! I did get a toy hauler so I can include the family on some trips. I hate to trailer but this works for us all and we're digging the camping thing too. The ramp is a built in playpen!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
How's it going brother! Did you get a trike? How are you doing? The wife and son are great. He's getting huge! I did get a toy hauler so I can include the family on some trips. I hate to trailer but this works for us all and we're digging the camping thing too. The ramp is a built in playpen!

That's awesome. we raised our sons camping. Always a great time. Been nice if I could drag the bike along. You're camping and taking your bike. That's not the same as trailering your bike to ride it.

Ya. Medical technicians said my heart was having new issues and the defibrillator was likely to go off. So I got a trike. Then my doctor said a bunch of tests and said no. That was wrong. And in fact I'm in great health Nd my heart function is normal now. So he took the defibrillator out. So I gave the wife the trike and got me a shiney 19 RGS. She's happy. Traded her 15 Freewheeler in and she got the 19. Lol. She settled. I put 6200 miles on that trike in 3 months. 3 weeks of that I was out of comission in between 3 surgeries and a week in ICU.

Soon as I got the 19 I remembered the Kuryakyn covers you posted for the oil cooler and regulator. lol. I didnt get them yet. But they're in the list.

So ya, got rid of the 16 for nothing. But I did pull a lot of the big ticket items off. Biketronics kit, lowers, tourpak, leds, boards and anything else I could. So square 1 again. With a head start. Lol.

Glad to hear the family is good. Congrats on the camper. Looks like a fine unit. Love the playpen. Wish we had one years ago. Lol.

Been doing any riding? Wanted to ask you about your headlights. They the CD ones? I've seen them with red halos. I want that. 800 bucks to have evil eyes. Ya. But I know the light is better too.

Glad to see you back posting.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Total hijacking of this thread. Sorry. Lol.

But, to keep this on track. If I still had the 16. I was absolutely getting this head unit. With the new GTS. I'm good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That trailer is very cool!! Camping is a blast, add, the bike, makes it even better!

What else you going to add with the HU?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is do Monday as well. Unfortunately I will not get to install it for a couple of weeks.
Let us know how your install goes an a review of the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Total hijacking of this thread. Sorry. Lol.

But, to keep this on track. If I still had the 16. I was absolutely getting this head unit. With the new GTS. I'm good.
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Glad you're ok! Nice scoots! The CD headlight is worth every penny. It gives off great side light to spot deer jumping out. The Boom GTS isn't an option for my bike and no Android Auto sucks for me. The 7000 is weather proof now and has a much better anti-glare screen.
I don't think I'd go with red halo lights, confused cagers may think they're taillights lol, they also wont be as bright. The white halos make for nice filler lights close up to the bike. I haven't rode much this year only local trips. Couldn't just leave the wife home with the baby for days at a time. That's where the RV comes in. I'm hoping to make Daytona next spring. Might go see family in Charleston, SC this fall. It's nice riding down there when the weather cools and we can camp on their land. I picked up a remote start generator for boondocking so I don't even have to get dressed and go outside to start making coffee in the AM LOL. Cool thing with the RV is packing up is so quick. We stocked it up with all the essentials so I just load the bike and throw some clothes in there and we're out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was watching Fat Head Cycles' video about this the other day. Definitely interested in seeing how you like it. I eventually want to upgrade the tunes, but I'm not doing bag lid audio. I'd probably just upgrade the speakers in the dash, but curious if I could do that with this head unit and wouldn't need to add an additional amp. I dunno SQUAT about aftermarket audio.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I was watching Fat Head Cycles' video about this the other day. Definitely interested in seeing how you like it. I eventually want to upgrade the tunes, but I'm not doing bag lid audio. I'd probably just upgrade the speakers in the dash, but curious if I could do that with this head unit and wouldn't need to add an additional amp. I dunno SQUAT about aftermarket audio.

In theory yes. This unit has a built in amplifier. I believe it’s 100 watts. Only downfall is the unit is not waterproof.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 6.5 boom POS shot craps on my 2015 RGS last week and the dealer charged me $193 to tell me that. A refurb unit is about $550 plus installation and what other crap they can dream up. I was considering a Sony XAV-AX-5000 I think its waterproof but the new XAV-AX7000 is plug and play and better, but I thought it was supposed to be waterproof too. I was going to go with that but now I am not sure. I am not excited about spending money on another 6.5 system.
Does anyone have the straight dope on the 7000?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
My 6.5 boom POS shot craps on my 2015 RGS last week and the dealer charged me $193 to tell me that. A refurb unit is about $550 plus installation and what other crap they can dream up. I was considering a Sony XAV-AX-5000 I think its waterproof but the new XAV-AX7000 is plug and play and better, but I thought it was supposed to be waterproof too. I was going to go with that but now I am not sure. I am not excited about spending money on another 6.5 system.
Does anyone have the straight dope on the 7000?

Neither the 5000 or the 7000 are waterproof. The 7000 is suppose to have weather sealed buttons but that only helps but so much. I’ve got a stock 6.5” Boom radio I’d sell if you’re interested for cheaper than a refurbished unit. It’s in perfect condition. Message me if interested.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
in just a quick glance, i see that the 5000 has 20 watts/rms, while the 7000 has 45 watts/rms. but if you are using an external amp, that is moot. so other than the increased wattage, what does the 7000 have over the 5000 that warrants spending an additional $200?

·
Registered
753 Posts
A better display, black trim, about it.

Yep, that’s pretty much it. Anybody talked to biketronics to see if they’re using their waterproof cover on the 7000? Adds to the price but takes weather out of the equation.

The internal amp on the 7000 isn’t much, but could add some value for those of us that need a separate channel for just tweeters. They could be run off the internal amp freeing up a channel on an external amp. Could be real helpful for those with a DSP already. Just a thought.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They look good.. don't get it wet though.
I had one, daily rider in Seattle.. lasted about 3 days in the rain before it took a shit.
back to my original stereo, sent back to fathead for a refund.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Neither are plug and play out of the box both Fat Head and Biketronics sell them as plug and play kits. Biketronics goes the extra step of "Waterproofing" them at a higher cost although I'm not sure what all that entails. So in summation, the 7000 has a glare resistant screen, sealed front buttons, 5V pre-outs, and more power per channel (probably still not enough to get away with not needing an amp). The 7000 is around $200 more so at the end of the day it's all about what's important to you. I have a 5000 and I'll wait till I put my eyes on a 7k but I don't think it'll be worth the added cost of upgrading. If I had neither, I'd spend the extra coin.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They look good.. don't get it wet though.
I had one, daily rider in Seattle.. lasted about 3 days in the rain before it took a shit.
back to my original stereo, sent back to fathead for a refund.
Was that the 5000 or the 7000 that died in the rain? I know the 5000 had no weather proof buttons.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put the 7000 in today. It's raining so I couldn't really test out the new anti-glare screen but it's nice and bright. The first trip with the sun at my back will be the true test. I hooked up my Biketronics fairing speakers to it to check out the internal amp. It sounded above average for a head unit amp. I couldn't really compare it to the Stock radio because I've had a BT 2180.14 amp for a year now. Strange thing happened during the install. I lost the ground for the amp. I had it grounded to a fairing support bolt since installed last year. When I put the Sony in, the ground no longer worked. Everywhere I tried to ground it to under the fairing didn't work. I ended up grounding it to the front gas tank bolt. I don't know if the stock radio grounded the fairing or what but I lost time checking fuses and connections.

The handlebar controls control the tracks, volume, mute and inputs. It doesn't control anything in android auto. I don't have an iphone so no clue about carplay but I doubt it. However if you have a nano or ipod classic they won't work with this unit. It's Apples fault not Sony. I had the same problem in my 2019 Ram 1500. Manufacturers say Apple doesn't support those devices anymore. Only IOS devices are supported. I just use a thumb drive for stored music.

The 7000 has weatherproof buttons and screen and the radio came wrapped in vinyl from Fat Head Cycles. I sealed up all the seams around the screen. Hopefully it lasts. I'll probably try to rig up a splash guard since BT didn't have any 7000's in stock and they don't sell their enclosure separately.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went for my first ride with the 7000.

Here are my cons:
I can tell you that the anti-glare screen is nice but it's a fingerprint magnet and there will be lots of prints because the remote controls are limited in what they do so you tap that screen often. It's a bright screen but it failed the max sun test. If the sun is directly behind you it gets completely washed out. But only at that perfect straight on angle. As soon as you turn just a little the screen is visible again. Also when the sun hits it indirectly the fingerprints make it harder to see. Another thing I didn't like is the fonts are on the small side compared to the boom radio. I have 20/20 vision but I do use reading glasses and on a road glide it's a little harder to see. On a bat wing bike this radio would be better because it's closer and the angle to the sun is better. I really wish it had a high contrast mode for the sun like the boom radio. Maybe Sony will release a firmware update for the high contrast mode. Another thing I don't like is no customization. You can't change the button color from white. I'd prefer orange like the gauges. No custom wallpaper changes, just a few stock ones. Lastly a stupid warning screen at startup but it does go away quickly.

The Pros:
Fast boot time. When set to FM from a deep sleep it was playing in 5 seconds and the splash screen is gone in 8 seconds if you want to change inputs. From a deep sleep to reading and playing my USB 3.0 32GB thumb drive took 15 seconds. The screen is very quick and responsive but one time I did have to tap an icon several times while riding on a semi-rough road to get it to load. Maybe I was twitchy. Next is great sound quality. I only tested the head unit amp in my garage and it sounded good for what it was. However, it made my biketronics amp sound better. Not a whole lot but noticeable. I think it's because of the 5V preouts to the amp instead of using the BT line levelers to flatten out the boom radio hi outputs. The amps getting a pure signal now instead of trying to polish a turd.

So far I'm happy with my choice. We'll see how it goes. I may contact Sony about the high contrast mode and plant that seed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts