Road Glide banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Great update on the other forum regarding water. I’m not 100% sold yet, but looks very promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 7000 has weatherproof buttons and screen and the radio came wrapped in vinyl from Fat Head Cycles. I sealed up all the seams around the screen. Hopefully it lasts. I'll probably try to rig up a splash guard since BT didn't have any 7000's in stock and they don't sell their enclosure separately.
What did you use to seal around the screen?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Splash Cover is the cover I got. It's very simple and just for washing and parking in case of rain or heavy night time dew. He stopped putting the magnets on them but I asked and he gladly shipped me out some that he still had. I was worried in a severe storm it might blow away.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Splash Cover is the cover I got. It's very simple and just for washing and parking in case of rain or heavy night time dew. He stopped putting the magnets on them but I asked and he gladly shipped me out some that he still had. I was worried in a severe storm it might blow away.
Would you mind posting some pics? I’m extremely interested in this. How does it stay on if the don’t include magnets anymore? Can you ride with it on?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would request the magnets for sure. My cover wouldn't stay securely without them. I was worried as soon as the hose water hit it it was going to take off. I think there's issues with the magnets staying in place. That's why he doesn't ship them anymore because then people would complain about the magnets sliding off. I glued mine yesterday with Loctite Go2 gel. He sent me some E6000 adhesive with the magnets but I've had a lot of success bonding things that get hot with the Locktite so I went with that. I let it cure overnight and it's holding right now. I don't know how they will fair in the heat of summer. They are very strong magnets. I would try riding in the rain with it on. The Achilles heal of this setup has got to be the glue not the magnets. I could see the ones that are glued to the black radio bezel getting lose in the heat and sticking to the cover when I pull it off because the magnets are really strong. I only glued the 2 bottom ones on for now because the top lip slides under the slim fairing gap, holding it in place. That way if I lose some magnets I'll have backups. FYI this cover is made of that thin package type plastic. It will scratch easily. It's just for water protection not looks. I wouldn't ride with it on all the time. Plus with the Sony I have to touch the screen to do certain things. Here's a link to how it looks,

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would request the magnets for sure. My cover wouldn't stay securely without them. I was worried as soon as the hose water hit it it was going to take off. I think there's issues with the magnets staying in place. That's why he doesn't ship them anymore because then people would complain about the magnets sliding off. I glued mine yesterday with Loctite Go2 gel. He sent me some E6000 adhesive with the magnets but I've had a lot of success bonding things that get hot with the Locktite so I went with that. I let it cure overnight and it's holding right now. I don't know how they will fair in the heat of summer. They are very strong magnets. I would try riding in the rain with it on. The Achilles heal of this setup has got to be the glue not the magnets. I could see the ones that are glued to the black radio bezel getting lose in the heat and sticking to the cover when I pull it off because the magnets are really strong. I only glued the 2 bottom ones on for now because the top lip slides under the slim fairing gap, holding it in place. That way if I lose some magnets I'll have backups. FYI this cover is made of that thin package type plastic. It will scratch easily. It's just for water protection not looks. I wouldn't ride with it on all the time. Plus with the Sony I have to touch the screen to do certain things. Here's a link to how it looks,
Thanks for the info. How much was it? Don’t see a price listed on his site anywhere.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well after having enough time to fully evaluate the change from the stock head unit to the Sony I have to be honest and say I wish I just left it alone. I wanted Android Auto and a cheap XM Satellite tuner ($35 vs Harley's $400). But none of it matters if YOU CAN'T SEE THE [email protected]#KING SCREEN!! I tried a NuShield Dayvue anti-glare screen cover today. It helped a little with the indirect light. Once that sun's behind you it's game over. What makes matters worse is the viewing angle kills all the colors. This radio was not designed to be viewed from below level to the screen. When I'm standing on the bike I can see the colored background and the writing much better. Once I sit the screen gets washed out to black and I just see the now less bright white text. No background color at all. I really think this radio might do well on a batwing bike where you look straight at it but it's useless in the daytime on a RG. So during the day I'm back to navigating from my handlebar mounted phone but I do get to play a fun game of guessing what station the radio is on LOL. I can't wait to do some night riding in warm Daytona!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Well after having enough time to fully evaluate the change from the stock head unit to the Sony I have to be honest and say I wish I just left it alone. I wanted Android Auto and a cheap XM Satellite tuner ($35 vs Harley's $400). But none of it matters if YOU CAN'T SEE THE [email protected]#KING SCREEN!! I tried a NuShield Dayvue anti-glare screen cover today. It helped a little with the indirect light. Once that sun's behind you it's game over. What makes matters worse is the viewing angle kills all the colors. This radio was not designed to be viewed from below level to the screen. When I'm standing on the bike I can see the colored background and the writing much better. Once I sit the screen gets washed out to black and I just see the now less bright white text. No background color at all. I really think this radio might do well on a batwing bike where you look straight at it but it's useless in the daytime on a RG. So during the day I'm back to navigating from my handlebar mounted phone but I do get to play a fun game of guessing what station the radio is on LOL. I can't wait to do some night riding in warm Daytona!
Well damn. Hate to hear that but I'm sure the rest of us that may be thinking about changing out sure do appreciate the info.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That makes me feel a little better about spending a buttload of $$ having my 6.5 repaired. I didn't buy the Sony because it wasn't waterproof, looks like more good reasons that I never anticipated

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Guess there is no way to shim the back up a bit to angle the front down a bit?
*edit - Nevermind...after a google search see that its a full din radio like stock....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Guess there is no way to shim the back up a bit to angle the front down a bit?
*edit - Nevermind...after a google search see that its a full din radio like stock....
These aren't true double din radios but there's no way to change the mounting angle. I don't know why Harley didn't do a better job with the angle. The Rushmore fairing is such an improvement over the old version in so many ways. Why they didn't address this glare issue makes no sense.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I hear how people want the most from their bikes when spending the money that we do; however, in my heart, the stereo is the least if any worry on a motorcycle, without exception. Stopping to get your bearings is part of the game, as is asking directions, reading a map, and just saying 'f&ck it', I'm going this way. That lost feeling is not Harley's fault.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My radio shot craps on my 2015 RGS and the only thing I really use on it is the clock. So I looked at aftermarket stuff, Sony, amps, speakers, and decided to just keep it stock so I sent it in for repair. I agree the radio and navigation is something I really don't need but I like to maintain my bike in correct condition, call me old fashioned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'd venture to say the only way to eliminate glare from a motorcycle radio screen is to put a roof over it. Just the nature of the beast.
Harley's high contrast mode works great. I never had a problem seeing the screen even with full sun glare. It may washout a little under the harshest conditions but I always could make it out. I wish a company would make an aftermarket radio specifically for Rushmore Harleys. Like Jenson did for the old radios. One designed to handle the bright conditions and weather.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I hear how people want the most from their bikes when spending the money that we do; however, in my heart, the stereo is the least if any worry on a motorcycle, without exception. Stopping to get your bearings is part of the game, as is asking directions, reading a map, and just saying 'f&ck it', I'm going this way. That lost feeling is not Harley's fault.
I prefer to take the guess work out of it. I enjoy riding much better when I'm enjoying the scenery and not looking at road signs. I like to make custom routes through some country roads that a GPS wouldn't normally route you on and just kickback and enjoy the views. There are times I turn off the radio and enjoy the roar of the motor. I don't need a loud system just one I can hear clearly at speed. I love SiriusXM because the stations are always the same all over the country with no commercials, for $6 a month. You can't beat it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts