Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
First off hope everyone is doing well and staying health out there!!

Went to fire up the old girl ('98 Road Glide) up this weekend... after a little chugging and sputtering the starter started spinning freely. Will double check battery voltage this evening but I'm betting it's the starter clutch as everything "sounds" like it's alright. In any case, I'm going to have to go into the primary do anything with the starter and was curious if there is anything I should while I have the primary open? At this point I'm guessing I'll adjust the clutch, and do the starter clutch...

Actually, I'm seeing complete starters for not much more than the starter clutch (All balls). Wondering if I should just replace the whole thing with one of these DB electral or <insert brand name> starters? Recommendations?

Many thanks and ride safe!!
-D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Could always get a Nippondenso clutch for a 92-98 Toyota Corolls/Celica/Camry at an auto parts store for a lot cheaper. Do check your battery and connections first though as you stated. Check behind the primary for any indication of leaking seals and if you find oily grime, consider pulling the inner primary and doing all the seals while you’re halfway there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oooh nice! Didn't know about the Toyota clutch compatibility! Thanks!! Will def look into that.

Wouldn't happen to know the part number or the Toyota part number it replaces by chance? I'm seeing two parts: one for a corolla in roughly those years and one for a camry and celica of roughly those years.

nm, I found it over on the VTwin forum I think: Toyota p/n 54-82401

Cheers,
-D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the thread a bit further down and it said that the toyota clutch spins the wrong direction.. will have to do more digging it seems; at least to find out if it works or not. That said, $15-20 vs $50-$60 I'd probably pay a bit more knowing it was a good working functional piece. I'd also read that this might occur a bit more frequently than necessary if the ignition timing is a bit off ...something else to check.

@Geoff1200:
How many miles on the '06? How painful was the rebuild?

-D

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've been hearing about the Toyota part starter fix for years, and never found/heard/seen a viable direct reference to a PN that AutoZone could pull off the shelf. But... Ya got me started thinking about it again, so I started digging too.

And found this: Denso OEM Starter Drive, for Harley, 028301-0761

Now in case that link goes away (as they tend to with time) here is the text that is/was there:

Denso OEM Starter Drive, for Harley, 028301-0761

Product #: 028301-0761

Brand: Denso
Description:
Denso OEM Starter Drive, for Harley
New

Rotation: CW
Number of Splines: 10
Splines Type: Spiral
Inside Diameter: 13.5mm / 0.531in
Overall Length: 80.9mm / 3.185in
Clutch Gear Teeth: 40
Clutch Gear OD: 53.8mm / 2.118in
Wet Clutch Seal?: Yes

Notes:
Includes DE Bearing (42.0mm OD) & Gear End Bearing (37.0mm OD)

Application:
Denso Starters #228000-5861

References:
Denso drive: 028301-0760

316330-07

Replaces:
ND028301-0761 ARROWHEAD (OEM)
615-803 BARSANCO
028301-0760 NIPPONDENSO
028301-0761 NIPPONDENSO
801521V RCP

Fits:
Dyna FXD 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Softail / Touring 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Additional Information:

Part Type DRIVE ASSY.

Notes: Includes Bearings

Manufacturer DENSO

Denso OSGR Starters

Additional Info: Used on Hyster

Details: This is Fits Nippondenso Starter 228000-5860, -1, -2 (18198). This is Special in That it Has a Seal Pressed in the Shaft.

Price: $66.98

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well shit ... The complete forklift starter mentioned above (PN: 228000-5861) is only $150 on Amazon. Now I don't know if the damn thing will fit, but I'll sure as hell be tempted to try one if mine ever goes tits up.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I went thru three of them in 150,000 miles on the 2009. You do not have to open the primary to replace it, just pull the Starter from the other side. It can be a bitch to get out, depending on your pipes, but I was able to get to it. Once out, it is rather simple to replace the starter clutch as it is a separate assembly. Bolts on to the starter motor quite readily. Watch out for those captive bolt tubes when you pull the starter, do not let them fall into the primary or you will have to pull it, and be cussing yourself the whole time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I went thru three of them in 150,000 miles on the 2009. You do not have to open the primary to replace it, just pull the Starter from the other side. It can be a bitch to get out, depending on your pipes, but I was able to get to it. Once out, it is rather simple to replace the starter clutch as it is a separate assembly. Bolts on to the starter motor quite readily. Watch out for those captive bolt tubes when you pull the starter, do not let them fall into the primary or you will have to pull it, and be cussing yourself the whole time.
The TC96 (07 and later) allows you to pull the starter from the rear. Prior years you have to open the primary.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Well shit ... The complete forklift starter mentioned above (PN: 228000-5861) is only $150 on Amazon. Now I don't know if the damn thing will fit, but I'll sure as hell be tempted to try one if mine ever goes tits up.
You mean $105 ?

·
Registered
760 Posts
You mean $105 ?
Yes, that too! Hell on eBay they're in the low $80's new, and the $60's rebuilt.

The nose would need to be changed (reused from old or scrounged), but if the guts work - and by appearances they should - it sure beats the hell out of HD's $400.00 price tag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts