Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guy's,

I love this trike, but I am craving more power. My 2010 RGC trike has a 103 with 255 HD cams Dragos H-pipe exhaust and Power Vision Tuner. It runs "OK" kinda peppy from Idle to about 3800 to 4000 RPM and then it just falls flat. (i understand that is the design of this cam)

I understand it is the weight that is killing my performance (1260#'s dry). I want to build/buy a Torque monster. If I am going to do this, I want to do it right or not do it at all

I am looking for advice from you guys that are running BIG CI motors.

What motor you went with?
Are you satisfied with your selection?
What you would do different, if you had it to do over again? (if anything)
How much difference it really made in day to day riding?

I am not looking for a race motor, I want a 2000 to 5000 RPM power band that makes some serious torque

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey Karl, first nice weekend after the Lone Star rally I can ride up there and let you ride my bike with Franks 124. I stayed with the 640's which aren't really known as torque cams but I still hit 100 ft lbs at 2250 rpm's. I'm sure Frank could taylor it to your needs. This thing is actually quieter than my 103 was. (not like I'm trying to sway you or anything LOL)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Karl, first nice weekend after the Lone Star rally I can ride up there and let you ride my bike with Franks 124. I stayed with the 640's which aren't really known as torque cams but I still hit 100 ft lbs at 2250 rpm's. I'm sure Frank could taylor it to your needs. This thing is actually quieter than my 103 was. (not like I'm trying to sway you or anything LOL)
That would be great

can you post your Dyno sheet? I would love to see it

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A good STRONG trike combo is very simple.
S&S crate 124"
Wood 9F cam set at 10.8 cr(stock compression for 124"/.640 cam crate combo)
58mm S&S Thottle Hog.
With the prper pipe, that combination in 2-wheeled set-ups has shown torque sriking VERY quickly, and going as much as 150 ft/lbs.
Carbed-ombo dyno tested,recently on a dyno in Northeastern, Mass, showed 152 ft/lbs.
Scott

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Dragos high output 124
On a 2012 Bagger efi with our chain drive 304 final drive
New Dragula 2 exhaust.

150 Hp easy.

Thanks FD.
Quality, Performance, Respect,

Attachments

·
Banned
94 Posts
unless your looking for a hot rod,ide go with a mild 124".the motor in my 2002 RG is VERY mild,124" S&S .570 cams,vee twin worked 110 heads.129/136 and I can ride it like a stock bike,great touring motor

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guy's,

Thank all of you for your input and advice.

I am still doing research on whether a 117 or a 124 will best suit my desire for off idle big Torque #'s.

I have been told that a 117 CI with it's shorter stroke will build more TQ at lower RPM's but will not carry it as far right.

Thanks again for your input

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Our carbed-build 124" produced 152 ft/lbs at 3800 rpms.
HUGE rate of acceleration with that power coming on like that, and makes the bike feel very "nimble" as well.
Big HP in a bagger with sacrificing low-end torque, is not our idea of a strong touring combo.
Scott

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our carbed-build 124" produced 152 ft/lbs at 3800 rpms.
HUGE rate of acceleration with that power coming on like that, and makes the bike feel very "nimble" as well.
Big HP in a bagger with sacrificing low-end torque, is not our idea of a strong touring combo.
Scott
Scott,

what is your opinion of the 117 TQ coming in earlier than the 124.

My normal RPM riding range is about 2000 to 5000 max RPM

I want roll on the throttle make you smile "Throttle Response" not high RPM HP

·
Registered
218 Posts
Consider the 124 low compression with the 585 cams. Set the compression to 10.25 or 10.4 to 1 with the Drago Pipes 58 S&S mm throttlebody, larger injectors, S&S premiums and let her rip. You will have rate of accelleration, plenty of torque and 118-124 hp and 138-152 torque depending on what heads / exhaust etc that you use. Down in florida here we have 8 or 9 of these running around in the group we ride with and they all run day in and day out thousands of miles on them and all smiles from the group. 640 cam is a bit late for a bike as heavy as yours unless you change the gearing and put a lot of compression to it. the 570 cam only wants up to 10 to 1 then you get pms and what you would gain in compression you lose in retarding the timing, I'd use it in up to 103 motor, but would pass in a larger cubic inch motor as there are so many other viable choices with proven track records.

The woods 9f good cam and likes compression, but if you want touring quiet and not beating your valve train to death it would be a cam i stayed away from. Also compare EFI bikes in the comparison vs. the carb bikes its not apples to apples and the older bikes pre - 07 have different gearing / parasitic loss.

Have Frank build you a motor he will hook you up and will stand behind his work / build. Hope it turns out great.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Keep that compression low and choose a cam suited to it and you will have a cool running, torquey, touring motor that is good with various fuels and will last a long time. My personal preference is a 10.2-1 S&S570 cam, or a 10.5-1 S&S585 cam, motor. Big and dumb will get it done day in and day out. I want my bike to start easy, have plenty of torque, and run on any fuel I dump into it without a hiccup. Pushing for numbers will cost you a ton and leave you dissatisfied in the long run.

P.s. A good tune is as important as the motor that you build.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Scott,

what is your opinion of the 117 TQ coming in earlier than the 124.

My normal RPM riding range is about 2000 to 5000 max RPM

I want roll on the throttle make you smile "Throttle Response" not high RPM HP
Hi Karl,
A 4 5/8" stroke will manufacture more torque, quicker, than a 4 3/8" stroke crank.
You and I had discussed a 117" with a .570 set at 10.0 cr a couple weeks ago, or so.
An Andrews 57 would be a contender also, and a Wood 6 would work as well.
Quick torque, and with a good head, surprising hp as well.
A Wood 9F won't be of any harm if set up correctly.
Too many of those combos in service.
We have a client in San Jose, than we surrounded his Wood 6 with a 117".
120 ft/lbs at 2200 rpms, 136 at 3600, and still at 120 ft/lbs at 5300.
10.0 cr.....40,000 miles last we knew.
Just an example.
Scott

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have been talking with Frank with Dragos, Scott at Hillside, Gary Williams at Williams Carbs and Steve with GMR about the differences between the 117CI and the 124CI motors.

The majority consensus is that in similar builds, the 124 will build a little more TQ down low, but will not have the low end throttle response that the 117 will have because of the shorter stroke of the 117. Low end TQ does not always equally equate to low end throttle response

Gary Williams compared them to the difference between the 427 BB Chevy and the 454 BB Chevy. The 427 has much better throttle response than the 454 and revs so much quicker.

Having owned both a 69 427 Vette and a 70 454 Chevelle earlier in life, I understood this analogy. I realize comparing these cars is apples and oranges, but I was never beat by a stock 454 Vette in my stock 427 Vette and I raced more than a few.

My trike weighs over 1250#'s dry add another 350#'s with me and my lady, that's 1600#'s before we load all our stuff.

I think low end throttle response will be more important than a few #'s of TQ on the bottom end and most likely losing considerable HP on the top end.

I am going with a 117 CI.

Thank you to everybody who offered advice, I appreciate your help.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts