Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have found a set of screamin eagle 295e cams with new lifters and perfect fit pushrods all new in the package for $200. I am currently stock other than reihnhart slip ons and a power commander. I know i will need an air cleaner swap as well. I will also be removing the cat from the head pipe. My dad has a screamin eagle road king with a stage 4 kit and i would love to at least sound close to as good as it does and possibly be able to run with it. I know im moving alot more weight with my glide, but that road king is a blast to ride! Would i benefit from a head gasket swap as well?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I doubt you need a head gasket swap, but I would definitely consider new lifters depending on how many miles on the bike.

·
Registered
483 Posts
With the .295 cams you should really need more compression. Go with a thinner head gasket, if not a set of SE heads. I would go with a set of .030 Cometic, James or SE gaskets. Just my 2 cents... Good luck with your build!:smile:

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Stage IV SE kit is a matched package designed to work together.

IMO, throwing a set of 259 cams in your RG will not produce the same results. The 259 HD cams need several other things to reach full potential.

Talk to some of the engine builders on here. They can help you put together a matched set of components that will make you smile.

BTW...my opinion and $5 will get you a large coffee at Starbucks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the .295 cams you should really need more compression. Go with a thinner head gasket, if not a set of SE heads. I would go with a set of .030 Cometic, James or SE gaskets. Just my 2 cents... Good luck with your build!:smile:
Would the "Perfect Length Pushrods" be ok with a thinner head gasket or do you think I would have to get a set of adjustable ones?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Would the "Perfect Length Pushrods" be ok with a thinner head gasket or do you think I would have to get a set of adjustable ones?
They would still be ok. But I don't know if that cam is the way to go. Sometimes just doing a cam can be going backwards. Need to know more about your bike. What year, motor etc.

·
Registered
483 Posts
They would still be ok. But I don't know if that cam is the way to go. Sometimes just doing a cam can be going backwards. Need to know more about your bike. What year, motor etc.
Right no need, yet, for adjustable pushrods. I concur that the cam might not be ideal by itself, but I simply answered the question. It really needs heads. Heads lead to pistons. Pistons lead to compression releases. Now we are back to where you came in. LOL Thanks for your input. :grin:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Right no need, yet, for adjustable pushrods. I concur that the cam might not be ideal by itself, but I simply answered the question. It really needs heads. Heads lead to pistons. Pistons lead to compression releases. Now we are back to where you came in. LOL Thanks for your input. :grin:
Right? It's a never ending circle. Tell me how I know, Learned the hard way then I learned from the best. It's all in what you want to accomplish. The end game.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Exactly

Right? It's a never ending circle. Tell me how I know, Learned the hard way then I learned from the best. It's all in what you want to accomplish. The end game.
Right you are, my friend. Since I was only trying to answer the question as it was asked I knew someone would eventually be the bearer of bad news. Ultimately smajr85 will have to decide how much he'll save by buying budget price cams. LOL

smajr85, we're here to help you, man!:grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input guys! I didn't realize i didnt even say what my bike was! Its a 2012 ultra with 20k. I went ahead and bought the cams. Figure for $200 for still sealed in the box pushrods, lifters and cams i couldn't go wrong, even if they end up on Ebay! Honestly, im really after the sound more than im after tire smokin power. I miss the sound of my old sporty and my old shovelhead (though I know nothing sounds like a shovel!). This thing just idles too smooth! I may try the .030 head gaskets and cams then a tune and see what i get. I am a mechanic by trade so the labor is no problem.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Thanks for all your input guys! I didn't realize i didnt even say what my bike was! Its a 2012 ultra with 20k. I went ahead and bought the cams. Figure for $200 for still sealed in the box pushrods, lifters and cams i couldn't go wrong, even if they end up on Ebay! Honestly, im really after the sound more than im after tire smokin power. I miss the sound of my old sporty and my old shovelhead (though I know nothing sounds like a shovel!). This thing just idles too smooth! I may try the .030 head gaskets and cams then a tune and see what i get. I am a mechanic by trade so the labor is no problem.
More info please: Is that a 103 engine?

·
Registered
852 Posts
In your original post you said that the sound is important to you. Getting a great sound is a lot easier than trying to duplicate a SE Stage IV setup.

IMO...take this build in steps. find the sound you want (Dragos, D&D, V&H, RUSH, Fuelmoto or Fullsac...ECT) They all make good head pipes that will achieve the power you are eventually going to want to build.

IMO,A decatted OEM headpipe is not the right decision for really good sound or good power. It also has tuning issues.

Solve one wish at a time, talk to the true engine builders about how to set up your motor with the SE 259 cams and work toward a complete build

1 - 13 of 13 Posts