Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had surgery last summer and riding my current bikes has been a little rough since. I have a 2011 V-Rod Muscle. I have set it up for touring as much as possible. Batwing, Bags, new bars and such. I ride about 10-12k miles a year. This year I already have 10K in road trips alone planned. So, to get to my question. I'm looking at a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Not a huge fan of the Tour Pak, but I'm being told I can make it detachable? The bike I'm looking at has about 70K miles, but is well maintained and service records are available. I'm not afraid of high miles as I have had a few bikes near the 100K mark myself. Is there anything specific I should look out for? Is there another year or model that is better or worse?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
2011 was a good year. It should have an upgraded compensator installed with those miles.
If you get the right price for that amount of miles , jump on it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
13k isn't a bad starting point.

The 96"/103" seems to be fairly inexpensive to rebuild or swap in a used engine relatively speaking. I've seem low mileage complete engines sell for 1500-2000.

There's also people on this forum that have over 200k miles on similar bikes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You mentioned surgery, are you looking for better suspension as the reason to go Ultra or a lighter front end? Reason I ask is I went from and Electra to a Road Glide Custom because of the weight on the front end caused by the batwing. That helped my upper back but a better seat helped my lower back.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have a 2011 V-Rod Muscle. I have set it up for touring as much as possible. Batwing, Bags, new bars and such.
Ok, first - you must post pictures of this setup.

Second - I'm in pain just thinking about long trips on a V-Rod. Not that its not a great bike, but I think I'd be crippled before too long.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My biased opinion is that the '11 FLTRU is a solid touring platform, if that's what you're after.
Some may claim that a '15 is better... not from what I've seen. Newer? Yes. Better? Not for me.

I'm sure if you look around you can find one with fewer miles, if that's important.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok, first - you must post pictures of this setup.

Second - I'm in pain just thinking about long trips on a V-Rod. Not that its not a great bike, but I think I'd be crippled before too long.
It's actually not that bad. I've ridden Newark De to Kansas City twice, Outer Banks twice(once with a passenger) and a 7 day tip to and through New England on my 04. Setup is critical, right seat and bars. Really need floorboards though and I just couldn't bring myself to put em on. That being said, Touring bikes are roomier, have better wind protection and storage, tunes and get better mileage.Looking forward to lots of trips on my 23 RGU and shorter runs will be on the V Rod

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
It's actually not that bad. I've ridden Newark De to Kansas City twice, Outer Banks twice(once with a passenger) and a 7 day tip to and through New England on my 04. Setup is critical, right seat and bars. Really need floorboards though and I just couldn't bring myself to put em on. That being said, Touring bikes are roomier, have better wind protection and storage, tunes and get better mileage.Looking forward to lots of trips on my 23 RGU and shorter runs will be on the V Rod
Well, I guess your gas tank on the v-rod prevents you from staying on too long. :)

Enjoy the new bike, you're fortunate to be able to keep two.

I've always thought having more than one bike would be awesome, but kinda like polygamy - difficult to keep them all happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed. I have done many 2-3k mile trips on the Muscle, but now the body might be telling me no more. It's actually a good ride if set up right. I did put the mini floor boards that mount to the peg post. Helped a ton.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, I guess your gas tank on the v-rod prevents you from staying on too long. :)

Enjoy the new bike, you're fortunate to be able to keep two.

I've always thought having more than one bike would be awesome, but kinda like polygamy - difficult to keep them all happy.
One of the first things I did was put a 5 gallon tank on her. 180 miles or so between fillups

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have an 11 ultra with 55+k on it. I would not hesitate to run rte 10 or 95 end to end on it tomorrow NP. Very dependable. I have done tires, fluids and brakes. I had a bad VR and a bad throttle wire from new replaced under warranty. No other issues at all.
Is it better than a 15? Probably not but at almost half the price it is much better!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.