Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, toying with the idea of adding another set of speakers. Current set up is Arc Audio 600/4 amp and 6.5 hertz mille in the fairing. Zero complaints about how it sounds just well you know, maybe want a little more. Trying to decide if I want 6 by 9's in the bag lids or adding lowers and a pair of something maybe a little "bassier" something down there. I ride solo 99% of the time.

Just looking not so much for speaker brands but more location feedback.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You going to add another amp? DSP?
My bike has never had lowers so can't comment on speakers there.
I like the speakers in the lids and I can definitely tell if they are not working. Im throwing a bunch of clean power to them and tuned with a DSP though.
Being from Mass. the lowers might be dual purpose for you. Wind protection when chilly and speakers.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You going to add another amp? DSP?
My bike has never had lowers so can't comment on speakers there.
I like the speakers in the lids and I can definitely tell if they are not working. Im throwing a bunch of clean power to them and tuned with a DSP though.
Being from Mass. the lowers might be dual purpose for you. Wind protection when chilly and speakers.
I was going to try to get away with using the same amp. No DSP, sounds a little too involved for me. I am more of a set it and forget it kind of guy.

Trying NOT to go down the rabbit hole on this, crossing my fingers.

TY phillyfan1 for your input, always good feedback!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Anytime Matt.
Do you have 2 channels open on the amp?
Lots of ways to do it wiring wise, tuning will be the issue. With no DSP, might have to use the same spec speaker.
And to add to your comment about the DSP, it is very involved if you know nothing about it like I did when I started. You might be able to find someone up there to tune it for you.
On another thread here I just posted a link to a video from Da Funk Shop. Those bikes are tuned perfectly and that makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
So, toying with the idea of adding another set of speakers. Current set up is Arc Audio 600/4 amp and 6.5 hertz mille in the fairing. Zero complaints about how it sounds just well you know, maybe want a little more. Trying to decide if I want 6 by 9's in the bag lids or adding lowers and a pair of something maybe a little "bassier" something down there. I ride solo 99% of the time.

Just looking not so much for speaker brands but more location feedback.

Thoughts?
Matt, I have a pair of PRV 6MR500 in my lowers and they sound awesome.
The only drawback is that they are square and have to be made round so they fit.
It's not hard to do just time consuming.
If you're mechanically inclined it's doable.
There's great info on the other forum regarding them and how to make them fit.
Others speak highly of the MMats PA 601 and the PA 601 CX.
Keep us posted on what you decide.
Best of luck on your search
Mike U.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Mike and Philly, I can see this might take a little more thought than I originally anticipated.

I have a confession to make, I didn't do the install originally. The guy who did the install did tune it, maybe I need to look into the DSR.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Thanks, Mike and Philly, I can see this might take a little more thought than I originally anticipated.

I have a confession to make, I didn't do the install originally. The guy who did the install did tune it, maybe I need to look into the DSR.

You’re more than welcome Matt.
Philly and I are both running the DD Audio DSI-2 and love it. It does take a little getting used to but does work very well.
I’m still playing around and learning mine but it’s definitely worthwhile.
Take Your time choosing a speaker.
Do a lot of research so You find the speakers that Your ears like.
Everyone hears things differently.
Best of Luck Brother.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Matt, I have Mutazu Lowers with Advan Black Speaker Pods. I didn’t have any problems fitting the PRV’s into the Pods. I’ve heard good things about Advan Black lowers too.
I’ve had the Mutazu lowers going on 7 years now.
Any other questions Bro don’t hesitate to ask.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Speakers in Lower Fairing

I currently have a Biketronics 2250 amp with 6.5” Hertz Mille Legend fairing speakers. It sounds great and I can hear it pretty good on the highway (even at 100mph+), but I’m wondering if adding a couple Hertz SV 165.1 Midrange speakers in lower fairings would give the bike just a bit more power for those songs you just want to turn up a little more on the highway.

I’ve put 6x9’s in the lids on previous rides and that just put sound behind me. I could hear it around town, but not on the highway. I’ve also done 4 8” in the bags on my 2017 Road King... sounded AMAZING around town but had to be full blast to hear it on the highway. Neither were worth the $ for the highway, so I’m wondering how those of you that have speakers in the lowers feel they do in adding practical sound.

In case you’re wondering what the Road King bags looked like:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Mr. Matt - I asked the Audio guy that I dealt with the same question. His recommendation was go with the lowers, so I did and not regretting it. I hated the idea of losing any luggage space to speakers in the lids so I am glad he pointed me toward lowers.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts

Don't go sniffing around that rabbit hole Matt, you might get sucked in. :)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr. Matt - I asked the Audio guy that I dealt with the same question. His recommendation was go with the lowers, so I did and not regretting it. I hated the idea of losing any luggage space to speakers in the lids so I am glad he pointed me toward lowers.
I currently have a Biketronics 2250 amp with 6.5” Hertz Mille Legend fairing speakers. It sounds great and I can hear it pretty good on the highway (even at 100mph+), but I’m wondering if adding a couple Hertz SV 165.1 Midrange speakers in lower fairings would give the bike just a bit more power for those songs you just want to turn up a little more on the highway.

I’ve put 6x9’s in the lids on previous rides and that just put sound behind me. I could hear it around town, but not on the highway. I’ve also done 4 8” in the bags on my 2017 Road King... sounded AMAZING around town but had to be full blast to hear it on the highway. Neither were worth the $ for the highway, so I’m wondering how those of you that have speakers in the lowers feel they do in adding practical sound.

In case you’re wondering what the Road King bags looked like:
SAWEET looking scooter there sir! Thought about the sub route, not there yet but tempting!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't go sniffing around that rabbit hole Matt, you might get sucked in. :)
TY gents, I fear you may be too late. Waiting for the big brown truck or maybe some other random truck to show up with a gently used pair of lowers courtesy of BH#103.

Not sure about speakers yet, decisions-decisions...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
TY gents, I fear you may be too late. Waiting for the big brown truck or maybe some other random truck to show up with a gently used pair of lowers courtesy of BH#103.

Not sure about speakers yet, decisions-decisions...
Oh yeah!! Here we go!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh yeah!! Here we go!!
Congrats on snagging the lowers... I saw the post... congrats on a great deal!

I just ordered lowers and speaker pods from Advan Black along with new speaker lids from Hogtunes. Going to swap out the Biketronics BT2250 (great amp nothing wrong with it if anyone is interested let me know); with a Diamond Audio Micro84U (660 Watt 4 channel); adding a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 processor to hopefully level out the stock GT radio - so I don’t blow another set of Hertz speakers (Mille Legends) which prompted this 2nd round stereo work to begin with. Together they will drive Hertz MPK165.3s in the front fairing; Hertz SV165.1.1s in the lower fairings; two Hertz 6x9’s and HH25s in the saddlebag lids. Just waiting on the various deliveries and I’ll update here after install.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on snagging the lowers... I saw the post... congrats on a great deal!

I just ordered lowers and speaker pods from Advan Black along with new speaker lids from Hogtunes. Going to swap out the Biketronics BT2250 (great amp nothing wrong with it if anyone is interested let me know); with a Diamond Audio Micro84U (660 Watt 4 channel); adding a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 processor to hopefully level out the stock GT radio - so I don’t blow another set of Hertz speakers (Mille Legends) which prompted this 2nd round stereo work to begin with. Together they will drive Hertz MPK165.3s in the front fairing; Hertz SV165.1.1s in the lower fairings; two Hertz 6x9’s and HH25s in the saddlebag lids. Just waiting on the various deliveries and I’ll update here after install.
Sounds like a great build, keep us posted.

Great looking scoot!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts