Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing Cams in my 13 RGU. Been looking at fuel Moto, Andrews, S&S & Fueling. Plan on having head work done and raising compression to over 10.1 want to burn pump ethyl gas. Have stage one on the Bike. Don't want a lot of noise coming from the cam chest.
Can anyone give recommendations. On how to proceed?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If looking for stout low-mid range power, then either an Andrews 48, or a Wood 222 are 2 that come to the top of the list.
We always have all in stock to allow easy installation.:)
Scott

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I say forget the head work and just do the cams, adjustable pushrods and the lifters.
Running the stock heads will give you plenty torque with the right cam. You are going to spend around a $800 (x2 if work done by a shop) on the cam, pushrod, lifter upgrade and that is if you do the work yourself and that doesn't include a dyno tune and a tuner if you need one.
The dyno sheets on the fuelmoto web site shows a Woods TW222 on a stock 103 engine with a stage I intake and exhaust upgrades putting out 112 lbs of torque and around 94 or 95 HP. Torque is what you want HP is not what you're after.
You put a $1000 into heads and doing the work yourself (x2 if work done by a shop) you are going to pick up somewhere around 3 to 5 lbs of extra torque thats about $200 a lb of torque (not much bang for the buck). Look at some of the 103 stage IV build dynos sheets and in most cases the bikes are only putting out somewhere around 115 lb of torque.
I would just do the cam upgrades and get a good tune and ride the bike and see if that is what you want, If you want a bit more later on it isn't hard to swap out the heads. JMO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I am going to try to do the work myself. I do most of my own work. It doesn't look to hard. I can rent the tools I don't have. The woods 222 cam has been recommended to me before.
I have heard woods cams are noisey. That seems like too much money for the head work for what you get.
I have found shops that will do the Dyno's ranging from 250 to 500 bucks. Again you get what you pay for. Wish I knew which shop does the best DYNO.
It's great to be able to post here and get good opinions that are not motivated by money. JS

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
There are 2 shops in the DFW area that you won't go wrong with them doing your Dyno work.

If in Dallas Ed at the Dyno Difference would be my choice.
http://www.thedynodifference.com/Home_Page.html

If you are in the Fort Worth area give GMR Performance a call
http://www.gmrperformance.com/

Another vote here for the 222 cams. Installed 3 sets for my bike and 2 other members and so far we are loving them. Holler if you need any of the tools.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TripleJ , Info I needed. I live in Fort Worth. I've heard of GMR. Will get intouch with them they are close.:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Andrews 57 is another viable option for a stage 2 103, as is the Tman 555 torqsters, there are a bunch of dyno sheets on HTT.

Pipe selection is critical for obtaining the curve you are looking for, Jamie at Fuel moto has some really nice, proven performers, Jack pot X pipe and a set of the 4.5 Pro touring mufflers makes an awesome combo.

But the most important part of the build is the tune, and both guys mentioned in Texas can get it done for you.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am going to try to do the work myself. I do most of my own work. It doesn't look to hard. I can rent the tools I don't have. The woods 222 cam has been recommended to me before.
I have heard woods cams are noisey. That seems like too much money for the head work for what you get.
I have found shops that will do the Dyno's ranging from 250 to 500 bucks. Again you get what you pay for. Wish I knew which shop does the best DYNO.
It's great to be able to post here and get good opinions that are not motivated by money. JS
The only special tools you would need is the cam bearing puller and installation tools and they are pretty expensive.
What tuner are you running right now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A list of up grades I have installed.
Stage 1 HD starburst Breather
SE Race Tuner
Fuel Moto Jackpot 2/1/2 Steel Plasma Ceramic coated header.
Vance and Hines High Output Slip on's
Heritage Bars

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm thinking about changing Cams in my 13 RGU. Been looking at fuel Moto, Andrews, S&S & Fueling. Plan on having head work done and raising compression to over 10.1 want to burn pump ethyl gas. Have stage one on the Bike. Don't want a lot of noise coming from the cam chest.
Can anyone give recommendations. On how to proceed?:rolleyes:
I went thru the same thing for my 2011 rgc 103 stage 1. Looking at countless cam upgrades, big bore kits, head upgrades. In the end, i chose just a cam upgrade and a dyno. Its at the tuner now, so we will see if it was really worth it. I went with the tuners selection (t man 600sm). He says "you will love it". We shall see.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The only special tools you would need is the cam bearing puller and installation tools and they are pretty expensive.
What tuner are you running right now?
Come this fall hope to be doing the same. For those who have DIY cams, from where, what brand, how much new or used. I have not installed cams before, but can follow instructions and have a digital torque wrench.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let know how it worked.
Runs great! I ended up with 84 hp and 96tq. Very noticable above 2700 rpm.
What i like is the torque comes on and stays on in the ridable rpm range compared to the stock cams. It runs cooler, sounds great at idle, and im gettin good mpg.

The only downside is it is a clicky cam. .600 lift so a little more valve train noise. Im sure that my cobra power port head pipes and 4" duals dont help the tq but i like how they look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts