Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to do an epic ride with the wife. She wanted to ride Las Vegas- Florida. I was thinking on the lines of http://reuthers.com/motorcycle-tours-alps.html . :rolleyes: Any ideas? Have you ever done this before and if you have let me know your experience and suggestions.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I need to put something like that on my bucket list..:D

Dam that bike rental is pricey 4813 euro I don't know the exchange rate but I don't think it's like pesos..:eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had to take another look at the site. If you look that is the price of the trip including the bike rental, hotel and some meals. If you break out the bike rate from bring your own the bike rental is only $3,400 or $340.00 a day. :rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had to take another look at the site. If you look that is the price of the trip including the bike rental, hotel and some meals. If you break out the bike rate from bring your own the bike rental is only $3,400 or $340.00 a day.
I got ta lookin at it again and if the exchange rate is 1.35 and I take the boss cant go with out the boss.:D Your looking at 8449 and change dam..:eek: But it sure would be a fun trip..:D

P.S. That doesn't include airfare...:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got ta lookin at it again and if the exchange rate is 1.35 and I take the boss cant go with out the boss.:D Your looking at 8449 and change dam..:eek: But it sure would be a fun trip..:D

P.S. That doesn't include airfare...:(
I figured that if we had a group, we can get a 2-3% discount. If we use the same company to ship our bikes, discount again. Book the flights from the same airline, discount. IKt's a work in progress, keep on with the ideas and we can probably make it happen (Secret Society of the Sharknose!!!)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't done the Alps on a bike but I can highly recommend them. Take a rain coat.:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll keep that in mind. Around what time of the year is the best for travel?

·
Registered
184 Posts
You could see rain anytime in the Alps but the driest would be July through August. It's not quite as bad as Michigan where they have winter and August for their seasons.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could see rain anytime in the Alps but the driest would be July through August. It's not quite as bad as Michigan where they have winter and August for their seasons.
Do you realy think I should get myself a guid or should I just download the map and wing it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Possibilites are endless

I spent three weeks in Germany this fall. Being an Army brat I still have family in Germany. Sinc I was staying for three weeks I wanted to take my bike along. Shipping was very expensive, and also the amount of time you had to drop off your bike ahead of time , and the wait afterward to get it back was like 3 weeks on each end.

Rental for a HD is around $125 per day , with milage limits.

I would absolutly love to ride the Alps some day , but it was just to expensive.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
The other downside of shipping your bike is the need to remove all fuel and battery and not sure what else...so plus the wait you got to be sure they build it back right. If you can afford the rental, I'd go that way for sure...if YOUR bike breaks down or worse...it can put a big damper on your travel plans...with the rental if your bike has any problems...they replace it.FAST! Anyway, things to think about. But, that trip is WAY better than Florida-Las Vegas in my opinion. Hope you get to do it man. I know its on my bucket list for sure....maybe 5 years or so...good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm thinking it might be a better plan to actually buy a used bike there, then ride it and sell it after you leave. I'm sure you could find a consignment dealer to do it for you. I would think that might be a substantial savings over a rental. There's no way you could depreciate a used bike that much in that short of time and mileage. $125 a day adds up fast.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm thinking it might be a better plan to actually buy a used bike there, then ride it and sell it after you leave. I'm sure you could find a consignment dealer to do it for you. I would think that might be a substantial savings over a rental. There's no way you could depreciate a used bike that much in that short of time and mileage. $125 a day adds up fast.
Dead Bird Dog, that's a good idea I wonder if you have to be a citizen over there to do that ya know for lic. & reg., ins. just wondering. If not you could save some money there. The guide service that Nino was talking about(http://reuthers.com/motorcycle-tours-alps.html) looks pretty good I mean they provide the bike the gas the food and rooms for the trip they even take your luggage so you don't have to pack it on the bike. It's a little pricey but hey what isn't any more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts