Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a new seat for my 2019 RGS and did a lot of research. I tried out a few and after some apprehension decided to order the Dual Tour saddle, no heat, 2009-2019 H-D Touring models. I had heard good and bad about Corbin with most of the bad being their customer service. I ordered the seat by phone and spoke to a very helpful Corbin Rep. I did not order a custom seat so the Rep said it would ship in a few days. In about a hour I recieved my invoice which said "We currently don't have this seat in stock so it will have to be built. Please allow 2-3 production weeks for delivery" which was contrary to what I was told. I could not find a lot of current information on purchasing Corbin seats for late model HD RG so I have made a list from emails I recieved from Corbin and my personal experence with them.

1- From Corbin - All seats are built to order and are non-refundable and any canceled order will be subject to a 20 % cancelation fee. So make damn sure you want the seat (No trying it out to see if you like it)
2- From Corbin - Our saddles require a break in period of approximately 2000 miles.
3- There is a Showroom / Warehouse in ORMOND BEACH, FL which is 137 miles from my house but they charged me $60.00 for FedX ground shipping from Hollister, CA. (most seats from others are shipped free to you and a small fee to ship back)
4 - When I recieved the seat the instructions said it was for 2009 - 2013 HD Road Glide which made me think they shipped the wrong seat because the seat had a small tongue in stead of a slot like other late model seats I tried. I emailed Corbin and they said that it was correct and that configured seat are on thousands of RG with no problems. I put the seat on and it seems OK as indicated so I emailed Corbin back and said they should explain the different configuration on their website and not send paper work saying the seat is for a 2009 - 2013. I recieved a email back from a smart ass at Corbin saying "What a great idea, I will get right on that I hope you ride safe and enjoy your weekend" OK so that was funny I'm sure that request is above his paygrade.

If I had to do it over would I have bought this seat? It does look great on my bike and sits me about a half inch lower then my HD Hamock which is what I wanted. I guess I will let you know after 1000 miles if my wife and I love it or hate, stay tuned. Hope this helps if your considering a Cobin seat for your RG.....Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Hope it works out for you. I know seats are like exhaust, windshields and what a rider likes. I have thought about getting a Corbin a couple of times. For me, I just did not like their approach to customer support.

They may have one of the best seats out there, but for me, I will pass.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
couldn't you have gone in to the corbin showroom in Ormond and ordered the seat from there and picked it up there? I know the seats are mfg in ca, so your seat had to come from there regardless. but seems like it could have got shipped to them with the rest of their shipment and saved you a few bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skratch,

My plan was to take a roadtrip to the Corbin showroom in Ormand Beach but the thought of burning up my clutch in Orlando I-4 traffic kept me from making the trip. I have yet to find a good back way from Tampa to the east coast of Florida. Now that I think about it the 60 bucks may have been worth the money :)

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Sorry to hear you have had a tough experience so far. Hopefully the the comfort of the seat overcomes the poor c/s.

I have a Corbin solo I bought 6 years ago, it has 30k on it and looks like new and is very comfortable still. It is on its 3rd bike.

The seat looks great on your bike!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Seat looks great on the bike. I thought about getting a Corbin solo before I got the cvo solo. The customer no service was always a thought.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Skratch,

My plan was to take a roadtrip to the Corbin showroom in Ormand Beach but the thought of burning up my clutch in Orlando I-4 traffic kept me from making the trip. I have yet to find a good back way from Tampa to the east coast of Florida. Now that I think about it the 60 bucks may have been worth the money :)
I totally understand that traffic. Have you tried going interstate 75 to hwy 40 east? It does add some travel time, but 40 is a nice ride and comes out on I 95 and at Ocala at I 75.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve had such different experience at Corbin Hollister. Funny yet so sad your experience.

I feel fortunate to have been able to ride in and get their great custom build while you wait service. My second dual tour was in 2018, I’ve been very happy and enjoy their great customer service at Hollister factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow!

Another "Wow" from me. I am in the market for a seat for my '18 RGS and I really like the customization options Corbin offers. BUT...with the negatives on the comfort (accepting that everyone is unique) combined with the apparent general poor customer service, I think I will look at other options. Many thanks for your thread and I hope all goes well.
Smadge

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Why would you take I-4 to get to Daytona, going north on I-75 you can take several different ways across the state to get there that will keep you on 2 lane country roads.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
What TJ said or you can take the Toll roads around Orlando that is way faster. Sounds like you need to get out and do some exploratory riding to make sure you know the best/safest routes to numerous destinations. >:)

As far as the seat goes I am a huge fan of Corbin and will most likely not ever have another seat on my scooter. As far as their customer service goes it certainly needs improvement but to be honest, I've only needed it one time and they were great but that was in person. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the seat!

·
Registered
17 Posts
...I think I will look at other options. Many thanks for your thread and I hope all goes well.
Counter point: I did everything through the web store interface, Corbin is right upfront with all their sales conditions so buyer is aware, the seat arrived on time, as ordered, and I never needed to reach out to customer service. The seat looks and feels great. Would buy again. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
4 - When I recieved the seat the instructions said it was for 2009 - 2013 HD Road Glide which made me think they shipped the wrong seat because the seat had a small tongue in stead of a slot like other late model seats I tried. I emailed Corbin and they said that it was correct and that configured seat are on thousands of RG with no problems. I put the seat on and it seems OK as indicated so I emailed Corbin back and said they should explain the different configuration on their website and not send paper work saying the seat is for a 2009 - 2013. I recieved a email back from a smart ass at Corbin saying "What a great idea, I will get right on that I hope you ride safe and enjoy your weekend" OK so that was funny I'm sure that request is above his paygrade.
Just an FYI for future reference, the seat fitment is the same for all 2008-2019 touring bikes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Had a bad Corbin experience with my last bike, the seat was comfortable but the backrest tube cut into my tailbone and I sat too close to the controls. Shipping cost me $77 back to Commiefornia and then I had to pay to receive my seat back $55; I ended up canceling my modifications and selling to another rider.

When I ordered my seat I specifically specified that I needed the overall seating surface pushed back 2”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
corbin seat

I went just a mile or so past Corbin in Ormand Beach to Ultimate seats....They are located on the service road behind the Destinations Daytona Harley shop...They will mount the seat you want then you can ride on it for an hour or so to see if thats what you want....If you phone order one from them you have 14 days to try it and send it back if you don't like it.....I love my Ultimate solo w/ rider back rest ....Oh it was over a hundred bucks cheaper than Corbin....Just sayin....I did ride up there from home and did not use I -4...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
the only way i would ever buy one again is at a bike week or similar event.

they say 1000 mile break-in but after 40,000 miles mine is still the hardest seat i own.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Corbin has been great to me. Sent me rivets and rubber bumpers to make a repair for free after a mishap. They've always responded quick and courteous to me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Skratch,

I live in North Tampa so was surprised by your comment about riding to Ormond Beach. There is other ways to get there besides I-4...lol

Route below is a a simple route that takes the you away from the Highways and a lot nicer ride, may take a little longer but a much nicer ride....

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ah, Corbin....one of those companies where "you get it when it's ready" and that's about all the communication you get. I had a dual tour on my Victory, and it was a great seat, but it's a unique product. Definitely more like a "saddle" than a "seat". I really liked mine once it broke in, but it's not for everybody.

I bought an Ultimate seat right off the showroom floor about a month ago. Sits me higher, but it's farther back. Some adjustments to be made, but the ride is fantastic. Changed my outlook on the whole bike, honestly. And for east coast trips, I like to bounce up 75 to.....40, I think it is? Brings you out just south of Daytona. I4 is the highway to hell, and unless I get up stupid early to run over there I don't even fool with it anymore.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I bought the Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat that I use in the winter. It sits me higher than the HD low solo tour that I use the rest of the year.

If I were to do it again I would have bought a Heated HD low solo tour. The Corbin is comfortable, just would rather be lower in the bike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts