Road Glide banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys great forum here I am a member on HD but would rather ask this to the guys who are all about the roadies. I have a done up 04 EG. Serious upgrades to motor with HQ 98 kit tons of accessories , stereo, apes, you name it and its done. I also have monotubes, bagger brace, just ordered 944's and sta bo ed16 bushings. Now I want to convert my bike to a RG

Now to all you guys who had a pre 09 frame and now a new RG will these upgrades to frame and handling be on par or should I bite the bullet and trade in for a newer model RG? I am fairly aggressive rider and live in a area with lots of curves and mountains

Thanks for the help guys I just want some honest opinions so I can Make a good choice here as it is a big one lol.

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,456 Posts
I went from a '96 EGC to my '11 RGU. I can't speak to the rushmore bikes, but I can tell you the extended frame they introduced in '09 makes a huge difference in ride. I'm not talking about power and all that, but the ride is so much better and I feel more in control. The wife comments all the time about how much smoother (and faster) I am through the corners and curves now. And when she says that it isn't a complaint!! The 6 speed transmission makes the highway riding better as well, I don't feel like I am balls to the wall to cruise 70+ and have better passing capability.

My vote would be to upgrade, and from what I've heard about the rushmore improvements they are worth it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I recently sold my '04 RoadGlide, I had a ton of money in it, which we never completely get back, but this 2015 RGS is way better handling and wind management is really good IMO. The vents allow more control. I live/ride in the mountains, plus tour and like the way this new one is cam'd and geared.

·
Super Moderator
13,531 Posts
There are pros and cons both ways. Depends on your budget also. It would be a lot cheaper to convert your current bike, and you don't have too many miles so you can still expect a lot of miles out of it. But as stated above the new frame is definitely better, the six speed tranny is also nice, and just adding a cam with better exhaust and A/C will give you plenty of power. Also no down time to perform the conversion. If you're paying someone to convert your bike and not DIY, it's a no brainer, switch bikes. How many miles have you put on the bike and how long have you had it? BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Tough call. Still a low mileage bike but your gonna rack them on. Big advantage to the frame and 6 speed. If your doing the work yourself I'd convert it, if your paying to have it done I'd start over if you can/want to afford it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Also, consider upgrading to an 09-13. You don't have to go '15 to have the frame and 6 speed. You can get a nice low mileage 09-13 for $14-18k. Sell the 04 and you'll recoup most of that.

That's probably what I'd actually do if I were you.

Especially considering what you'd spend for the conversion. And the time...

Try to find a low mileage RG with some mods already on it that you like so you're not starting at square one. Try to find a well cared for bike with a trustworthy seller that has some records on it. 1 owner would be best.

I've rebuilt tons on my '10 cause the guy I got it from didn't know what the 1st owner did.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I came off an 05 Ultra before my 09 Road Glide and I will tell you that there is a HUGE difference in handling of the 09 + bikes over the pre 09 bikes. Extra gas in the tank and extra gear make for some added positive features also.
Good luck in your choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.