Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Ladies, trying to think of what I want to do in the off season so I can start saving - I usually do the "Harley Winter Storage" with my dealer and have them do the work at a reduced rate while my bike is warm and on a trickle.

So, narrowed it down but not sure (well, kind of but its the most expensive) where I want to chunk the $$ and the below is an estimate with labor factored in

1. Bars - With the Bars, Cables and Install......$1K
2. Sound System - With Amp and Speakers & Install.........$1K
3. Suspension - Front & Rear with Install.......$2500

I am leaning towards the Susp as I am "okay" with the Fact Bars rolled fwd and the Stock Radio is Crap but f'it......its a radio

Going off the above, I could so #1 and #2 for the cost of #3 but def know the feeling of a good Susp and there is nothing like it.......but that is a big investment in the bike and would have to factor in the fact that if I ever traded it in, would want to swap the set up over to any new glide.....with hopes it will fit

Thoughts from those who have been down this path? (I know Train, #3 all day and never look back)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Apparently I've become predictable....:laugh:

But yeah, suspension all day long. You'll notice the difference every second of every ride. I plan on doing the Ohlins fork cartridges this winter.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Which one are you most disappointed with ? That the priority I'd place on Mods.

Reactions: SteadyEddie

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm with bleachey, I like to do all the projects myself. Cheaper, therefore I can do more to the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
Good choices for upgrades and as others have said, do the work yourself.. An old X motocrosser should have the wrench turning techniques to get r done. Here in Texas is the opposite, we have summer mods due the freaking heat in triple digits which is equivalent to riding in 20 degrees which I did in a short stent in PA.
I'm saving my coins for the quick detachable tour pak kit so I can be one of the kool kids and a geezer glider when traveling.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I think you could handle 1 and 2 by yourself. That would save you a ton. You could also handle the 4 bolts to swap out the rear shocks.

I'll be adding either ohlins or progressive kit to the front end. Lowering it 1" and chroming it over the winter. I'm ok with the rear shocks.

Also either the V&H pro pipe or the Reinhart 2-1.

Haven't decided on the air box. Maybe just the open airbox with the stock cover. It's not bad looking.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am flattered that you guys think I could do this shit - Think of me as a snot nosed Factory Rider the shows up on race day, wins (62.875% of the time) and then leaves with the trophy girls to his custom 70's Econoline Van as he heads to the next round while the Pit Crew packs loads up my stuff - My wrenching days were on 125 2T's that were held together with fishing wire and duct tape - These new bikes are WAY over my head - You all have that friend who tries to fix his own stuff and after it is all back together, has like 3 bolts and a few screws left over......and then when the shit breaks on the road, finds out where they SHOULD have been used.........thats me :frown:

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which one are you most disappointed with ? That the priority I'd place on Mods.
To be honest BG, I could ride 50K miles with all 3 as they are today and be fine - Would I LIKE new bars and a banging system, um, yes please - Would I love to ride right over the beat to shit, winter fucked route 12 that is like a mellow Whoop Section of a kiddie MX track for 5 miles as we head up to Knuckleheads in Eagle Wisc, um, yes please but could be fine if I kept all 3 as they are now. Just trying to figure out how to take what I have today and make it just that much better.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I am flattered that you guys think I could do this shit - Think of me as a snot nosed Factory Rider the shows up on race day, wins (62.875% of the time) and then leaves with the trophy girls to his custom 70's Econoline Van as he heads to the next round while the Pit Crew packs loads up my stuff - My wrenching days were on 125 2T's that were held together with fishing wire and duct tape - These new bikes are WAY over my head - You all have that friend who tries to fix his own stuff and after it is all back together, has like 3 bolts and a few screws left over......and then when the shit breaks on the road, finds out where they SHOULD have been used.........thats me :frown:
Yup. I have that friend. That's why we work on his shot. He's allowed to wipe down the tools when we're done. Not use them. Shame you're not closer. I'd help for the price of pizza and a six pack.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
For the record, I never had the confidence in you to work on your own bike. :grin::kiss::grin:

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the record, I never had the confidence in you to work on your own bike. :grin::kiss::grin:
Awesome - That did actually make me laugh out loud but I refuse to type LOL.......wait.........DAMN IT

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Yup. I have that friend. That's why we work on his shot. He's allowed to wipe down the tools when we're done. Not use them. Shame you're not closer. I'd help for the price of pizza and a six pack.
I'm allowed to do my own oil change solo, and some other stuff with close supervision. I have one buddy who when he hears I'm working on my bike tends to come over rather quickly. I think it's because he knows I will end up calling him anyway and it saves him time doing it or telling me what to do rather than try and figure out how I fucked it up later.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The one thing I am mandated to use is a torque wrench. I tend to break bolts.

Reactions: Bleachey

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You could also handle the 4 bolts to swap out the rear shocks.
Rear....yes...already on Smarty's Radar for the gear but the front is a whole different Disco that I just don't know the moves to

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I'm allowed to do my own oil change solo, and some other stuff with close supervision. I have one buddy who when he hears I'm working on my bike tends to come over rather quickly. I think it's because he knows I will end up calling him anyway and it saves him time doing it or telling me what to do rather than try and figure out how I fucked it up later.
That's how most all of us learned to wrench on bikes, your just a late bloomer. :) I

1 - 20 of 21 Posts