1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
I use Redline and have a slew of UOA's with excellent results ..

I'm sure Amsoil is good stuff , but I don't care for the way it is marketed , at least by the person I know , who was one of the first distributors , super nice guy , but anything other than Amsoil , in his eyes is just garbage ..

I also question a test conducted by Amsoil in their lab with their equipment and personnel , if it's so good , which it may well be , why not let an outside source do the dyno run and send the oil to an independent lab , and let them post the results ??

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
When I raced Supermoto and beat the hell out of 450cc Single Cylinder machine for hours upon hours 3 weekends a month........I always ran Royal Purple and never had one issue and can say that you don't build a race bike to ride casually - I did oil changes every 2 race weekends and my motors all ran for years after I sold them

Amsoil is nice too but I think everyone here will have varying opinions of what they like and why they like it

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Redline and have a slew of UOA's with excellent results ..

I'm sure Amsoil is good stuff , but I don't care for the way it is marketed , at least by the person I know , who was one of the first distributors , super nice guy , but anything other than Amsoil , in his eyes is just garbage ..

I also question a test conducted by Amsoil in their lab with their equipment and personnel , if it's so good , which it may well be , why not let an outside source do the dyno run and send the oil to an independent lab , and let them post the results ??
That's an actual very good point.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used to use Amsoil all the time in all my vehicles. I did not have any issues I just found it easier and cheaper to buy mobil 1 at Walmart for my trucks and car. I was using it in my bike but it seemed to consume it where another brand didn't?

I think any of the top synthetics changed at regular intervals will give us/you years of trouble free service. I do use Redline Heavy Shockproof in the transmission (used to go through a speed sensor every couple of years until I switched to shockproof) and I am a fan of Formula+ in the primary. Seems to quiet the compensator down a bit?

I understand where everyone says have an independent lab test Amsoil. If any major oil manufacturer could have it tested and discredit their claims, they would. Its a good oil.

Most don't like the sales/marketing structure of Amsoil. In the beginning Amsoil had their distributors and sales reps at flea markets, car shows, etc. It worked and they grew. Amsoil could easily toss aside their loyal sales and distributors and double their sales over night selling directly to Walmart and auto part stores. I actually give them credit for NOT turning their backs on those that helped to get them where they are today?

Just thought I would share what I have learned.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The actual truth about Amsoil is they made everyone else have to step up their game with synthetic oils. Now most of the good synthetics have caught up with Amsoil. Bel-Ray, Liqui-Moly, Mobil 1, among others have really good oils now. Having to change at 3000 mile intervals are a thing of the past. 5000 or 6000 mile changes are the norm and really if you change the filter at 5000 miles, you can easily go 10,000 miles on a long trip without changing. I know some say why would I wait that long to change my oil if I'm doing it myself? Actually, test show on my oil that there is absolutely no need to change any sooner. If it makes you feel good to change it, by all means do it. But for me and the test I've had done, 6000 miles is my intervals and on long trips, I'll change it when I get home.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I used amsoil until I seen the thread on hdforums about his oil losing its viscosity and smoked his motor. Been using royal purple ever since.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I ran Amsoil for 50,000 miles in my FLHTK and sent a sample to Blackstone at every change (5,000 miles). Without fail, summer or winter, 20W-50 or 10W-40, I saw pretty hefty viscosity issues. After the bike was totaled (not due to Amsoil........Probably), I switched over to Mobil 1 and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In my vehicles I run Schaeffer's. UOA show it to be performing quite well in my 7.3 PS, VW TDI (2 of them), Chrysler minivan, JD tractor and Kubota mower.

Not sure what I will run in the Harley....still need to research

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
No doubt Amsoil is a quality product, but after watching the video I'm left feeling that any quality oil would have similar results.
Would have served them better to offer comparison rather than stand-alone, somewhat meaningless, numbers & graphs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lucas, Redline, Klotz or Royal Purple, whatever I can find cheapest. Amsoil's distribution system reminds me too much of Amway ... or maybe it was the Moonies.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
No doubt Amsoil is a quality product, but after watching the video I'm left feeling that any quality oil would have similar results.
Would have served them better to offer comparison rather than stand-alone, somewhat meaningless, numbers & graphs.
That's their marketing. They have a tremendous amount of white papers for their products, however none of them are from an independent third party.

I did the "dealer" thing for a few years and really wasn't fond of the company's structure and methods. And then with the issues I found in independent testing....Everyone at Amsoil I spoke to brushed off my results and insisted that Blackstone wasn't any good and couldn't be trusted. I got to feeling like Amsoil was the Scientology of the lubrication world and I cut all ties to them.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
That's their marketing. They have a tremendous amount of white papers for their products, however none of them are from an independent third party.

I did the "dealer" thing for a few years and really wasn't fond of the company's structure and methods. And then with the issues I found in independent testing....Everyone at Amsoil I spoke to brushed off my results and insisted that Blackstone wasn't any good and couldn't be trusted. I got to feeling like Amsoil was the Scientology of the lubrication world and I cut all ties to them.
What were the numbers you got back from Blackstone like in comparison with theirs ?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
What were the numbers you got back from Blackstone like in comparison with theirs ?
That was the best part. They wanted me to pay about $120 to their lab to test my oil. I reminded my sponsor and the higher-ups that I was a dealer, and was told that I'd be a better dealer with the correct test results.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Blackstone. I had a major oiling issue on my Night Train last summer (only time a Harley has ever stranded me). In a panic I sent them a sample to see if I'd destroyed the motor. The day they got the sample they called me to find out what happened and if they should look for anything in particular. They turned the sample around in 24 hours. I've talked to them easily a dozen times over the last 7 or 8 years, and they've been nothing but helpful.

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
oh me too , never had any issues , but their service is awesome , I can mail them a sample and get an email with the results in two days .. Chock full of useful comments ..

And FWIW I always pay the extra ten spot for TBN ..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
And FWIW I always pay the extra ten spot for TBN ..
I never have. With the ESP on the bike(s), I have no interest in going past 5,000 miles. On the FXSTB I don't put enough miles on it to keep the oil in any longer. And the KLR gets cheap TSC oil every 2,000 miles just because it's a 30-year-old engine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been a redline fan for years, both on an '05 FXST, and a '12 FLHX; tried amsoil at the insistence of my parts guy becuase he only had 3 qts of 20w50 redline on his shelf. Swore it was just as good as redline. Hated the stuff, engine seemed to run hotter (just by feel), and the valve train noise was much worse to my ear. Didn't even run a full cycle before I drained it and went back to Redljne 20w50.

No, I have no test results or figures to prove what I felt/heard. Just my opinion after more that a couple years on an HD.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts