Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time doing the three hole oil change. Everything was going great until I tried to remove the derby cover and the T27 bolt head sheered right off. All the other loosened up without any issue.

Dealer can’t get me in until 4/2 and I just don’t have the tools to do this myself.

Pressed on with the primary oil change since I’d already drained it. Dealer service said shouldn’t be an issue to just finish the job.

Till all is said and done I’ll be $300-$400 into this oil change. So much for saving money.

$200 for oil and filter
$20 for gaskets, o-rings, and primary funnel
X Hours Labor TBD at $102.00/hr

Frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Darn, maybe somebody here can give a few suggestions that you’ll be able to try out before the dealership appointment.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If the head sheared off, when you remove the other screws and remove the primary cover there should be some threads showing of the screw in the primary. You might be able to either get a pair of vide grips in it and remove OR take a Dremel and cut a slot in the end and use a flat screwdriver to remove.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I would take it to a local machine shop before I payed $102/hr for it. You can buy an easy out and do it yourself a lot cheaper. Why not just take the primary cover off and take it to a shop?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Take the other bolts out. Theres enough sticking out. Pliers or vice grips will spin it right out. Ask me how I know this. Lol.
^^^^^^^^ once the cap is off you shoud easily spin it out with vice grips. Change over to allen head.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Tried. There’s not enough thread sticking out to grab. Tried vice grips.

Pull the outer off and try from the inside. If not, drill it or just take the outer to a local shop.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have a set of reverse drill bits and easy outs for just such occasions.

My Kawasaki Concours had very soft fasteners so you had to apply a lot of inward pressure before you applied torque to loosen the fasteners. Ended up having to reverse drill one out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If the head sheared off, when you remove the other screws and remove the primary cover there should be some threads showing of the screw in the primary. You might be able to either get a pair of vide grips in it and remove OR take a Dremel and cut a slot in the end and use a flat screwdriver to remove.

Good luck
HD4 is correct. Had same deal a while back and had enough left after removing the cover to get a pair of visegrips on it. Spun right out. Replace with quality bolts torqued only to requirement.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HD4 is correct. Had same deal a while back and had enough left after removing the cover to get a pair of visegrips on it. Spun right out. Replace with quality bolts torqued only to requirement.

They’d never admit to it but wonder if they were over torqued last time the cover was off.

Where does one find quality bolts?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
They’d never admit to it but wonder if they were over torqued last time the cover was off.

Where does one find quality bolts?

gtmedic, I went through the same hassle with my Derby Cover on my 2012 Custom and went with 12 point socket head bolts from Alloy Boltz and haven't had a problem since.
Here's a link if interested, https://alloyboltz.com/harley-kits/
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
If you're capable of using a drill and have a home improvement or auto parts store nearby then you can repair it yourself. Go to one of those stores and pick yourself up a set of reverse drill bits or some easy-outs. Take the primary cover off and drill it out using the reverse drill. If the bolt was not or is not stripped then the reverse drill will/should eventually catch and should back the bolt out. Or drill a hole in the bolt and use the easy-out to back it out. It can be intimidating at first but it's not bad as long as you drill in the center of the bolt. Also, no matter what your mechanical experience is this stuff will and does happen no matter what. Good luck. I would also recommend swapping out those torx screws with Allen head cap screws. I've had the torx sockets break because of being over torqued.

·
Registered
300 Posts
All great advice. It's an easy job with the right kit and you will feel DARN good when you've done it yourself. And just go to your nearest specialty fastener store / excellent hardware shop and get Allen replacements. You'll be done by dinner time.. Honest

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're capable of using a drill and have a home improvement or auto parts store nearby then you can repair it yourself. Go to one of those stores and pick yourself up a set of reverse drill bits or some easy-outs. Take the primary cover off and drill it out using the reverse drill. If the bolt was not or is not stripped then the reverse drill will/should eventually catch and should back the bolt out. Or drill a hole in the bolt and use the easy-out to back it out. It can be intimidating at first but it's not bad as long as you drill in the center of the bolt. Also, no matter what your mechanical experience is this stuff will and does happen no matter what. Good luck. I would also recommend swapping out those torx screws with Allen head cap screws. I've had the torx sockets break because of being over torqued.

Thank you. I will definitely be replacing with Allen head bolts. I will be searching tomorrow for reverse drill bits. Neighbor has easy outs but he’s a diesel mechanic so everything he has is for much larger bolts. I also don’t want to jack up the threads and then have to spend an arm and a leg on a tap and die kit. It’s on my list but not budgeted right now.

I don’t consider myself a novice, but far from a pro. My brothers are the master plumber and the mechanic of the family. But it’s good to know others have shared similar experiences.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Very easy to drill and easy out. As you can tell the bolts are very soft. Very common mistake with those covers is to over torque them. Been there done that got the Tshirt to prove it...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts