Road Glide banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been chasing an oil leak for a little while, and it appeared that it was coming from the oil pan gasket. Jacked he up, removed the rear tire, and drained my fluids. I broke off a bolt, you know the one thats hrd to get to, above the frame cross member? Yeah, PITA. Tried everything and could not get the bolt out, so I ended up having to drill and tap it. the only problem was no room.

So, I laid her on her side resting on the crash bars, that was still not enough, so I had to jack it up while on her side. Uggh, so nervous.

The sad part is, the gasket looked fine, I bought a new one and installed it, but I am now thinking its leaking from the inner primary seal. - That is another project for another day. . . . . I will find out for sure after a good ride tomorrow.

Finally got it drilled out and tapped, and back together tonight.

Anyway here are some pics.

On its side:

Then raised so I could get in there to drill:

This is what I had to deal with, the bolt could only be accessed through this hole:

·
Super Moderator
13,524 Posts
At least I know I'm not the only one with my bike in pieces, I like that color.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I chased what I thought was an oil leak and after lots of time and frustration traced it to a loose bolt that fastens the exhaust to 2 bolts at the bottom of the transmission. An awkward bolt to tighten but that was the problem. Blew back and puddled under the oil drain plug so it was very deceiving. Check those two bolts and good luck!

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
I would try using dye in the fluids before trying to fix something you are not sure is broken. You can go to any quality auto parts store such as NAPA and buy different color dyes to add to the fluids in the bike, then if the leak is a specific color you know where to start looking.

Reactions: pacfan1967

·
Registered
878 Posts
I chased what I thought was an oil leak and after lots of time and frustration traced it to a loose bolt that fastens the exhaust to 2 bolts at the bottom of the transmission. An awkward bolt to tighten but that was the problem. Blew back and puddled under the oil drain plug so it was very deceiving. Check those two bolts and good luck!
Same experience 2 weeks ago. Those two bolts and most of my tranny pan bolts loose. Had just change motor hole oil a week or so before the drip so was chasing it that direction until i found tranny bolt problem. No more oil drops since tightening.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't know if I could have done that.... hats off to ya!!!

Way to adapt, improvise and overcome!

Reactions: bigal51

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I would try using dye in the fluids before trying to fix something you are not sure is broken. You can go to any quality auto parts store such as NAPA and buy different color dyes to add to the fluids in the bike, then if the leak is a specific color you know where to start looking.
+1.
Whatever you do, do not use Kyles mechanic. Steeler, it sucks to see you go through all this.

dbell, why is your bike in pieces?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How bad is the leak?
Its not horrible, but It's bad enough that after a long ride, the oil works its way to the drive belt, and it starts squeeling.

The leak is from the left side, but I did check the exhaust mount bolts, I actually checked every bolt I could get a wrench on. Everything is torqued to spec. It was leaking from 2 places, at my stator plug (this was obvious) I was able to seal this up with rtv. Thought I had it with that fix, but it still was leaking from what appeared to be the oil pan. When I dropped the pan, the gasket looked fine. But who know it may have fixed it.

Won't know till later when I get her out for a ride.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after running her today for a good while in 85* heat, it is still leaking just as bad as it was before. Very disheartens after all that trouble I had with changing out the oil pan gasket.

I guess next up is the inner primary seal. And will look at the main shaft seal while I'm in there.
The thing is, I don't think it's gear oil that's leaking, so I'm not sure it's either the trans (gear oil) or the primary (formula plus which kinda smells like gear oil)

If it not either of these, I might have to break down and take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Well, after running her today for a good while in 85* heat, it is still leaking just as bad as it was before. Very disheartens after all that trouble I had with changing out the oil pan gasket.

I guess next up is the inner primary seal. And will look at the main shaft seal while I'm in there.
The thing is, I don't think it's gear oil that's leaking, so I'm not sure it's either the trans (gear oil) or the primary (formula plus which kinda smells like gear oil)

If it not either of these, I might have to break down and take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it.
I chased a similar issue with my 01.These kind of leaks will test a mans soul,ended up being both the shifter shaft seal and the trans seal.It was at that point i started to run Belray trans oil.At least its red and easier to track down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.