Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Tour-Pak at a swap meet this past weekend and have some questions.
First I am trying to find out if anyone has an idea of what year it is. Internally it has 3 rigid pockets (photo).
On the bottom there are two raised ribs(other picture) side marker lights do not extend to either front or rear of TP. Space between the ribs is 9 inches across.
I want to repaint and go with black hinges and black latches. I also want to use a detachable rack.
So basically my questions are what year is my TP?
Is it actually a Harley Product like the guy told me?
What are the dimensions, length and width, of the top of the detachable rack?
Oh yeah one more, Will a chopped tour pak back rest fit?
I don't haul passengers a lot, but just want it to look a little more finished.
I did get what I felt was a pretty good deal on it so I'm not too bugged about having to spend more on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I for one can't distinguish the difference between year models BUT.....

Unless I'm way off here I believe the lid for the chopped and king tour packs are the same size so the backrest should fit.

Depending on your year of motorcycle the removeable tour pack mounts changed. One mount is for 96-2008 and the other is 09+. The 09+ mount is flat and I bought an aftermarket tour pack that was easy to place on the mount where I wanted it (further back than normal for the wife:)) then drill and install. Take a look on Ebay and you'll see the differences in the pictures and how flat they are. Sorry I don't have any dimensions for you at this time.

Good luck with the install!

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
It is a Harley Tour Pak

My 84 Tour Glide had those hard pockets , the 88 Tour Glide did not

JtB

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
somewhere in the past the King Tour Pak dimensions changed , the back rest ( provided you don't get the one with the arm rests ) should fit , I'm pretty certain you could rig something for the detach kit to work

JtB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dimensions of the top of the newest version of the detachable rack would be a help if I have to figure out an adapter.

Jack the Bagger that helps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Well, to start, yes it is a Factory Tour Pak. And the bottom of the TP body is the same from around 1978, when the Factory Harley Tour Pak went to the "Box" style from the slanted rear style. The ribs were dropped in favor of the flat bottom somewhere in the mid-1990s. (I'm not sure exactly what year) But I have used the TP used on my '85 on my '09 RG. I just used spacers to support the bottom around the ribs. But the body changed again with the new '14 models.

The pockets were installed in the late Shovel (Solid) and early FLT (Rubber) frame models.
I had the Pockets in my '82 FLH, '82 FLT, and '85 FLHTC. But no pockets in the TP with my '89 FLHTCU.
I believe the pockets were in '78-'86. And in both solid frame and the rubber frame FL models.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks RoadGlideRider. This helps me out tremendously. Good to know what year range as I want to replace hinges and latches as well as place it on the 09-13 detachable rack. I figured I might need to do some kind of spacer.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Thanks RoadGlideRider. This helps me out tremendously. Good to know what year range as I want to replace hinges and latches as well as place it on the 09-13 detachable rack. I figured I might need to do some kind of spacer.
Just one more thing. The latches and hinges mount the same for all Tour Paks, up to the '13 model year. The only change on stock latches was on the mating point between the latch body and lid latch. The change made it so the earlier parts will not work with later parts. If you have the body break on earlier models, you will need to change both parts. Harley has used the same hinge. They are the same "Pressed Steel" held in place with rivets. Harley sells a better chrome hinge you will need to buy. The "Accessory" Hinge looks bettter and is easier to install. Plus it components the stock Latch. Both are available in Chrome or Black.

Good Luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered the black upgraded latches, black hinges, black lock cover dealie. Matched and drilled new mounting holes to mount to detachable rack. Now just wait for paint to be done. I was going to have the rack powdercoated black. That will just have to wait until next winter. Thanks to all for all the advice and help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Discovered that since the old style tour-pak I bought would not sit totally flat on the rack, because of the ribs on the bottom. I needed a spacer of only 3/8". Looked into washers, aluminum strips, steel strips. Couldn't decide. Then one day while making dinner it came to me. The next day found me in a kitchen store. Poly cutting board is 3/8" thick,. Cut it to size on my bandsaw. Perfect spacer!!!!!
Also putting the chopped tour-pak backrest on. Waiting for tour-pak to come back from painter's. Pictures will be posted.
Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discovered that since the old style tour-pak I bought would not sit totally flat on the rack, because of the ribs on the bottom. I needed a spacer of only 3/8". Looked into washers, aluminum strips, steel strips. Couldn't decide. Then one day while making dinner it came to me. The next day found me in a kitchen store. Poly cutting board is 3/8" thick,. Cut it to size on my bandsaw. Perfect spacer!!!!!
Also putting the chopped tour-pak backrest on. Waiting for tour-pak to come back from painter's. Pictures will be posted.
Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.
The bottom of my TP was all glassed in flat on the bottom before it was painted. I have an older style one as well.

If your painter is any good at FG and its not already done it might be worth considering.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
....Then one day while making dinner it came to me. ..Poly cutting board is 3/8" thick,. Cut it to size on my bandsaw. Perfect spacer!!!!!
......... imagination & visualization ..... wonderful things !!

·
Registered
118 Posts
jumping in this thread as well, because I just bought one of these TP's at a swap meet as well this weekend, lol. I've ordered a new set of pins for the hinges, but mine does not have the latches installed. I'm curious as to what you plan to do for the interior? honestly, I'm thinking about rhino-lining mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts