Road Glide banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this question will have a simple answer, but I don’t have that answer.

I’ve got a 2013 RGU, and it’s been parked in my garage for a couple months. Due to injuries I haven’t been able to ride.

I tried to start it today and it was completely dead. Wouldn’t even attempt to turn over, no headlight, no dash lights, nothing. I plugged it into my battery tender (no I didn’t leave it plugged in when I wasn’t riding, my bad) and it’s been sitting for 5-6 hours. I just checked on it, and not change. No lights, nothing.

Should I leave it plugged in? Or have I ruined the batter?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I’m sure this question will have a simple answer, but I don’t have that answer.

I’ve got a 2013 RGU, and it’s been parked in my garage for a couple months. Due to injuries I haven’t been able to ride.

I tried to start it today and it was completely dead. Wouldn’t even attempt to turn over, no headlight, no dash lights, nothing. I plugged it into my battery tender (no I didn’t leave it plugged in when I wasn’t riding, my bad) and it’s been sitting for 5-6 hours. I just checked on it, and not change. No lights, nothing.

Should I leave it plugged in? Or have I ruined the batter?

Thanks for the help.
Leave it plugged in over night and see what happens.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,630 Posts
Be careful how you jump it. If you use a full sized auto battery, you could very well ruin what little life your MC battery has. I agree with the poster that suggested leaving it on the trickle overnight.
Then, go ahead and jump start it however you want. You will almost certainly need a new battery...

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
A couple of months in the warmer weather should not have killed the battery like that unless you left something on. If after 5 to 6-hours on the trickle charger it did not even produce a dash light I would say a new battery is likely needed. I would try an actual battery charger

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Use a jump box, I've on '03RG & on the 99 jump from starter hot to motor ground, can check volts from there too. And wean from good fullsize instead of trickle to mc batt. have also used band-aids when no electrical tape around

·
Registered
54 Posts
A couple of months in the warmer weather should not have killed the battery like that unless you left something on. If after 5 to 6-hours on the trickle charger it did not even produce a dash light I would say a new battery is likely needed. I would try an actual battery charger
A fully charged battery, left to sit, with absolutely no load on it, will discharge approximately 1% a day. So, after a month, that once fully charged battery will be down to around 70%, after two months, 40%, and three months, 10%. Left much longer than that, and you can pretty much write it off as shot. That's why battery tenders are considered by many, (myself included,) to be extremely cheap insurance. If my bike sits more than 48 hours, it gets plugged in. My previous bike was a 2011 model, with the factory battery in it, and that thing would crank over just as strong as it did the day I drove it off the lot. I've personally seen other motorsports batteries last 12+ years when they are regularly plugged into a tender and not allowed to drain beyond ~75-80% capacity.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
There is a difference between a battery maintainer and a battery tender. A maintainer will only keep up a charged battery. Where as a tender will apply and maintain a charge.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check battery connections and check battery terminals with a multimeter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.