Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those who have the Baker compensator & have some miles on it, any issues?
I'm thinking of getting the Baker setup, really don't want to put same SE in that keeps failing in these bikes. I'm getting the occasional clunk at startups & some rattling noise at times.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Are there still issues with the latest version of the SE comp? I've got over 26k on the latest version comp and I've put it through hell with my 120. Curious if others are having issues.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call Baker, they will send u another one and give u full credit. Know of one like this and they stood behind it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry smarty, I mean I'm thinking of getting the Baker, my SE is failing & just want to see if the Baker is working out for those who have it .

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have the Baker comp and Baker attitude chain tensioner and i do not have the clunk at start up or shutting the bike down. I still hear a slight clunk sound every now and then in 1st gear letting off the throttle and applying throttle, but i think they all do that. I had to have a part milled down .030 to align the chain, but Baker fixed the part and sent it back to me fairly quick. After about 600 miles still doing good. Starts and shifts a lot better also.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I put the Baker compensator in my bike last November and I haven't had a problem with it. I used the stock HD primary chain tensioner and everything is working just fine, so I don't see a real need to get the $200 Baker manual chain tensioner. At this time I would recommend going with the Baker compensator :smile:

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, just seeing if it's worth going with Baker or the latest SE, mine is a 2012 so I most likely have the earlier SE in mine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine makes all kinds of noise if you dont go down the road a ways begfore getting on it sounds like a hammer inside when you get on it. Im on my second one. It is fine at startup and shutdown though.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Mine makes all kinds of noise if you dont go down the road a ways begfore getting on it sounds like a hammer inside when you get on it. Im on my second one. It is fine at startup and shutdown though.
The Baker or SE. Makes that noise ?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Baker does. I appears to take awhile to get enough oil into it to provide needed cushion. Afterwards its tolerable.
If your Baker comp is making noise then you may have another problem and you may want to check it out. My Baker comp is quiet as a church mouse.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I just removed my Baker because it was getting very noisy. Less than 4k miles. The ramps show signs of wear. To be fair I'm running a 124" and after speaking with the guy who dyno tuned my bike (who is a Baker dealer) he said the Baker does not hold up on big CI engines.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just removed my Baker because it was getting very noisy. Less than 4k miles. The ramps show signs of wear. To be fair I'm running a 124" and after speaking with the guy who dyno tuned my bike (who is a Baker dealer) he said the Baker does not hold up on big CI engines.
Thats what im coming up with. 130 hp 117ci here but what really bothers me is how in less then a mile it was making the same noise. They warrantied it no questions asked and both times followed their instructions to the letter.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the Baker comp and their manual chain adjuster for 5,000 miles now. Installed in July, and did a 3,700 mile road trip in SD and up to Sharkweek in Alberta. No issues, still works as good as new. 2009 CVO with a 113 CI.

Not much of a gamble IMO. Much better chances of less issues than the junk HD compensators they keep revising. Baker costs a bit more, but I lucked out and got a deal when they had their Memorial Day sale. Already been through 3 HD compensators in 50,000 miles, and was tired of it being a maintenance item that had to be replaced every couple years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts